Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Hikes for a newbie

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hikes for a newbie
January 22, 2012 11:16PM
Hi everyone,

I have never been to Yosemite but I am going to be there for an entire week in the summer. (long story!)
Anyway, I am staying at Curry Village since I can't bring a tent because I am flying and taking the bus etc...

Do you guys have suggestions as to what hikes would be good for beginners? Needless to say I love beautiful views and falls.
I am in pretty good shape, but I wouldn't go rock climbing with a 90 percent change of falling down tongue sticking out smiley So something challenging but also good for a new guy like me.

I found this website that has the ten best easy hikes. Anyone have experience? How long do those hikes take? I am planning on having pretty full days!
http://www.yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-info/ten-best-easy-hikes.htm

One more thing: I really really want to go to Mariposa Grove to see the sequoias but I can't figure out how to get there without a car.

Thanks everyone, anything would be appreciated!

Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 11:45PM by benoit.
January 23, 2012 12:35AM
January 23, 2012 12:44AM
Thank you!

Is there a way to go to Tuolumne grove or Mariposa to see the sequoias? I am honestly so confused.

Thanks again.

ben
January 23, 2012 01:35AM
In the summer, the park concessionaire, the Delaware-North Corporation (DNC), offers tour bus service to the Mariposa Grove. It also offers a hiker bus service that travels by the parking lot near the Tuolumne Grove.

In another thread, you mentioned that you're planning to fly into Fresno and then take Amtrak and YARTS to Yosemite Valley. Have you considered renting an economy car at the Fresno Airport instead? If you want to travel outside of Yosemite Valley to explore the rest of Yosemite National Park, it's far easier logistically if you travel by car around Yosemite to reach any of the trailheads that lie outside of Yosemite Valley.

January 23, 2012 01:47AM
Glacier Point Bus:
Once up there you could come back down to the valley via either the Four Mile trail, or Panorama trail past Illilouette Fall and Panorama Point to the top of Nevada Fall and down either Mist of John Muir Trails.

Tuoloumne Meadows via either YARTS or the Hikers Bus. You might be able to get up and back on the same day on the buses. I'm not sure, you'd have to examine the schedules. You might be able to use these to get to Tuolumne Grove. If they stop at Porcupine Creek you could come back down to the valley and visit Indian Arch, North Dome, Yosemite Point, Yosemite Falls, Oh-My-Gosh Point, Columbia Rock.

Day hikes from the valley floor:
Mirror lake, go past the lake a ways ( wish they'd get the loop put back together sad smiley )
Start at Happy Isles and start up the John Muir Trail ( JMT ) past Vernal to the top of Nevada Fall. Up Mist, down JMT.
Yosemite Falls trail to the top of Yosemite Falls and then a bit farther to Yosemite Point.

However everything I've mentioned ( with the exception of Mirror Lake ) is MUCH harder than the hikes mentioned in that link. What is your ability? How hard/easy of hikes are you looking for? Almost all the hikes from Yosemite Valley are going UP and aren't very easy.
January 23, 2012 02:30PM
Hi everyone,

So I am not going to Mariposa because it is nearly impossible without a car but I am going to Tuolumne. A paid bus can drop us off at Crane Flat and apparently that's really close to the grove.
Since the shuttle will leave at 9:10 and pick us back up at 3:30 I am wondering if there are any other hikes in that area that don't take too long. I rad that the Tuolumne (if that is even spelled right) take 1-2 hours so something of another hour or two would be great to fill that gap between the next shuttle.

I like hiking but I am not sure if I am good at it. I would say I am average or medium. I don't mind climbing but I wouldn't start climbing up a rock under the waterfall with steps carved into it. That's a little too mental for me. So you know, hiking up, as long as it is not overnight and safe should not be a problem. I would say though Maximum length of a hike 4/5 hours. It's also possible we go rent a bike in the village and just take off with the map. (If that is even possible?) Or go rafting one day.

Mind that I do have to fill 5 days in Yosemite without a car, so one (or two short) hike(s) a day should do, right? Any suggestions based on that info?

Thanks a million.

Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 02:31PM by benoit.
January 24, 2012 09:10AM
Taking a bus to Crane Flat is a mistake IMO.
You'd be done by noon and then searching the parking lot for a ride out of there.
Tuolumne Grove is nice, but, imo, hands down... the grove to see is the
upper grove of Mariposa. If it's a pain to get there then just enjoy the valley...
there is so much to explore down there.
The one thing I think you should not miss... is Glacier Pt. Take a bus up there
and poke around and then come down the 4 Mile Trail if you want ALL downhill.
If you take the Panorama Trail down then you'll be hiking up some after Illiouette.
So.. I'd suggest go down 4 Mile if hiking aint yer thang.
And then hike up to top of Vernal on Mist.
Do those for sure. Have fun.
Look at all the other links and stuff and don't worry so much.
You'll enjoy yourself.

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 24, 2012 01:44PM
Hi there,

I will check with my friend. I live in San Diego but he is visiting from Belgium where I am originally from. And he is very insistent on seeing at least one sequoia tree. So I am trying to make it happen since, well he is my friend and I want him to enjoy his stay! I'll talk to him and check. He arrives on Saturday and on Sunday we are going to Yosemite. I am thinking maybe go to Tuolumne grove the first day since he'll be super tired anyway! That would be a good way to chill and make him happy at the same time. And then start the serious stuff the day after.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I am going to check them out! And you're right. I am one of those people that wants to plan everything but that's pretty hard going to Yosemite grinning smiley

Ben
January 24, 2012 01:48PM
I was just checking the Glacier and it sounds good! That's probably one thing to do! Are the roads back clearly marked? One thing I wouldn't want to do is get lost! (here I am worrying again! I'll be glad when I am there, haha!)

Thank you
January 24, 2012 03:02PM
The Panorama Trail that chick-on was talking about ends down at Curry Village (preferably with a beer at the pizza deck). If you guys are in decent shape it won't be hard from Glacier Point down to Curry Village, though it's certainly not something I would call an easy dayhike because of the length and the elevation loss. With a week to spend in the valley, I think it's certainly worth doing unless one of you has bad knees (in which case the elevation loss could be really rough).
January 24, 2012 04:02PM
mbear
The Panorama Trail that chick-on was talking about ends down at Curry Village

Actually it ends at Happy Isles. From there you can either walk or take a shuttle to Curry.
January 24, 2012 05:37PM
eeek
mbear

Actually it ends at Happy Isles. From there you can either walk or take a shuttle to Curry.

I thought the Panorama Trail actually ended at its junction with the John Muir Trail near the top of Nevada Fall. wink

January 24, 2012 05:50PM
plawrence
eeek
mbear

I thought the Panorama Trail actually ended at its junction with the John Muir Trail near the top of Nevada Fall. wink

Yes, but you do have to keep hiking until Happy Isles.
January 24, 2012 08:53PM
eeek
plawrence
eeek
mbear

Where you can walk to Curry Village, right? Or hike there?

Which lead to these questions:

Does one hike or walk from Happy Isle to Curry Village (if they don't want to ride the shuttle bus)?

And what's the difference between hiking and walking anyway?

January 24, 2012 09:12PM
plawrence
eeek
plawrence
eeek
mbear

Where you can walk to Curry Village, right? Or hike there?

Which lead to these questions:

Does one hike or walk from Happy Isle to Curry Village (if they don't want to ride the shuttle bus)?

And what's the difference between hiking and walking anyway?

hiking v.s. walking? For me walking is when I am on pavement (usually in a town) and hiking when I am on a dirt trail in a park. Of course that brings up what should it be called if you are on a trail in a park that is paved. LOL
January 24, 2012 09:22PM
The Mist Trail (which Panorama connects to) is paved after the footbridge in the return direction, which is convenient since that's a great part to run full-speed (if it's later in the day) for the promise of pizza and beer. Happy Isles to Curry Village is easy walking like you were at the mall or something. I can't even imagine taking the shuttle bus between the two locations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 09:22PM by mbear.
January 24, 2012 10:22PM
Panorama actually connects to JMT just west/downtrail a few hundred yards shy of the top of Nevada Falls.

From the junction you can turn left to go down JMT back to Happy Isles.
Or you can turn right to follow JMT to the top of Nevada Fall, continuing past over the bridge to the bathrooms at the junction with Mist, and turn left to go down Mist trail towards Happy Isles.
Going down Mist you of course connect back up with JMT just before you get to the bridge below Vernal.

The trails in the area can be very confusing! smiling smiley
January 24, 2012 11:26PM
I better start reading some maps! smiling smiley Are there clear signs for that over there so I can decide on the spot?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 11:29PM by benoit.
January 25, 2012 12:12AM
January 25, 2012 12:47AM
Do you have a map and compass and know how to use it? If not, you should. There are lots of good maps in the internet, be sure to have something in your pocket. After a day or two, you should be able to orient yourself.

This book is a good investment, you can get a used copy for under ten bucks:
Yosemite National Park: A Complete Hikers Guide
Jeffrey P. Schaffer
http://www.amazon.com/Yosemite-National-Park-Complete-Hikers/dp/0899973833

If you are going up there without a car, use it to your advantage. You have an opportunity to have a unique outdoor experience. Try to spend as much time as you can outdoors. The Valley shuttle busses are great for quick jaunts, but I'd go stir-crazy burning hours of daylight in some stupid coach just to see a big old tree on the outskirts of the park. As well, save Tuolumne Meadows for another trip. Avoid the malls and shops and pizza joints.

I'd consider these the best hiking options (there aren't many) counter-clockwise from your camp. These trails will be crowded, nothing we can do about that. In each case, you will be starting low and climbing high. Pace yourself, turn around any time you like. As well, there's plenty of stuff to check out around the base of each hike.

1) Trailhead: Happy Isles. Hike up the Mist Trail past Vernal and Nevada Falls. Take the JMT back.

2) Trailhead: Mirror Lake. Up the Snow Creek Trail, to point 6700. No trail to the summit, but if you can get that far, you can find it.

3) Trailhead: Yosemite Falls. Up you go, maybe to Yosemite Point.

4) Trailhead: El Capitan Bridge. It's at the the other end of the Valley, so it's a long walk there or back. You can take the El Cap Shuttle to make a rest day out of this. Wander around, Bridalveil Falls, Cathedral Beach, to the base of El Cap, and up the Old Big Oak Road for a bit. Spend a a day with the chief.

5) Trailhead: Four Mile. Up you go again, perhaps to Glacier Point. And back!

Just go up there and have fun, you won't be disappointed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 02:00AM by eeek.
January 24, 2012 09:46AM
What would be one's chances of being picked up holding a sign reading "$10 for ride to Mariposa Grove"? That seems like a reasonable way to go see that awesome grove, which would be an easy hike for you. I was thinking of using that method to get up to TM as an alternative to waiting for the late afternoon YARTS when getting to the park (though I'd probably offer $20 since I'd only need it one way).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 09:48AM by mbear.
January 24, 2012 01:50PM
Hey,

I could try to do that! I'd have to check with my friend though. I know he isn't fond of getting kidnapped. (and according to him, that is what happens when you hitch a ride) eye rolling smiley

Thanks!

ben
January 24, 2012 03:14PM
benoit
Hey,

I could try to do that! I'd have to check with my friend though. I know he isn't fond of getting kidnapped. (and according to him, that is what happens when you hitch a ride) eye rolling smiley

Thanks!

ben

I would worry more about being able to find a ride back than in getting kidnapped.
January 24, 2012 04:28PM
That's what I was thinking too, but forgot to put it in the reply! Sorry! grinning smiley
January 25, 2012 06:47AM
DB1
benoit
Hey,

Thanks!

ben

I would worry more about being able to find a ride back than in getting kidnapped.
We've hitched rides a couple of times in the park with pretty good success.....might be because we are a couple of old ladies and are not threatening, but I have found that most people are very kind. Is it risky? .I suppose so, but we are still here and have never felt threatened..... I think part of it is being choosey about who you ride with and having a back up. Many times we hitched because we did not want to wait hours for a bus and often we offered the cost of our yarts fare to the driver. Some took the money, most didn't as they were going that way anyway.
January 24, 2012 04:56PM
As someone mentioned above, if you are going in summer, there is a bus to Wawona and a shuttle from there to Mariposa Grove, where there is then a tram to ride around in if you don't want to hike it.

No hitchhiking necessary.
January 24, 2012 06:11PM
AlmostThere
As someone mentioned above, if you are going in summer, there is a bus to Wawona and a shuttle from there to Mariposa Grove, where there is then a tram to ride around in if you don't want to hike it.

No hitchhiking necessary.

I was thinking about that the first time I saw this thread, but the Yosemite bus page only advertises the trip as being from Wawona to the Valley in the morning and from the valley to Wawona in the afternoon. Is it possible that bus is put into use as a valley shuttle or something between the time it gets to and leaves the valley, since they don't advertise being able to use it in the other direction?

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bus.htm

Wawona to Yosemite Valley Shuttle Bus
This free bus departs daily from the Wawona Hotel at 8:30 am and from the Wawona Store at 8:35 am. Return trip departs from Yosemite Lodge at 3:30 pm. Operates approximately Memorial Day through Labor Day.
January 24, 2012 04:31PM
Mariposa Grove would be my preference over the other two Yosemite Sequoia Groves. The Grizzly Giant is very impressive, this grove has more trees and you can either walk around the grove or take the tram tour. Since you are going in the summer you could take the shuttle from Yosemite Valley at Yosemite Lodge to Wawona and then the shuttle from Wawona to Mariposa Grove. On the way back from the grove you could stop at the Wawona Hotel and the Pioneer Center.

If you have an Ipod or I phone there is an app called Chimani:Yosemite that is useful for general park information that including the shuttles. Right now the Valley-Wawona-Mariposa grove shuttles are not running so the schedule is not on the app.

I can't remember if someonw has already suggested this, but you can always go to www.nps.gov/yose and download the Yosemite Guide which is under the Plan Your Trip section to look at the current and past guides to get some ideas on what to do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login