All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Night Summer Temperature
January 23, 2012 03:02PM
Hello everyone,

Let me start off by saying this will be my last question! I promise! I feel embarrassed around all of you experts so I really hope I am not bothering you.
I will be staying in Curry village in July. I am wondering if I will need a sleeping bag for the night? I'm staying in a heated tent but it will be turned off during the summer.

I saw there is a hiking store nearby so I am thinking I might buy sleeping bags over there? I honestly have no space since I am flying in and taking Carry On only...

Thanks and sorry sorry! I am trying to learn here! smiling smiley

Ben.
avatar Re: Night Summer Temperature
January 23, 2012 03:25PM
They give you blankies. You won't need anything else.
You can axe for another blankie if you need it.

(or you can just buy a 20 degree bag) (this is a joke... don't do that... you'll be sweating your dingleballs off)

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Night Summer Temperature
January 23, 2012 03:26PM
Thanks Chick-on,

Haha, I would have probably bought one... I feel like such a noob! So much to learn!

Thanks!
January 23, 2012 03:27PM
We stayed in a Curry Village canvas tent cabin August 7-11 a couple years ago and even though the beds have blankets we were a little cold. I didn't check, but they might offer additional blankets.
January 23, 2012 03:40PM
benoit
Hello everyone,

Let me start off by saying this will be my last question! I promise! I feel embarrassed around all of you experts so I really hope I am not bothering you.
Thanks and sorry sorry! I am trying to learn here! smiling smiley

Ben.

Ben,
Please don't hesitate to ask all the questions you want. Most everybody on this board wants to help you have a great experience here. We know you are investing a lot to make this trip and we are glad you have chosen our park.

Old Dude
January 23, 2012 04:29PM
When I am teaching someone I always say that there are never stupid questions so ask away. We are always willing to help people enjoy Yosemite.

I would bring some layers along so you can add or subtract clothes depending on the temperature. I always take a sweater and/or jacket even in the summer because nights can be cold. There are thunderstorms in the summer so bring a raincoat.
January 23, 2012 04:43PM
parklover
There are thunderstorms in the summer so bring a raincoat.

Or a trash bag.
January 23, 2012 05:54PM
You are all so kind, thank you!

I'll make sure to bring some warm clothes as well. Does anyone have experience with that hiking and camping store? Can you buy sleeping bags over there? I had some but I want camping in Belgium and the weather was horrible and they... Well they are defective! So I'd rather buy them there than take them along on the plane and bus to the park.

Thanks guys!
January 23, 2012 08:37PM
benoit
You are all so kind, thank you!

I'll make sure to bring some warm clothes as well. Does anyone have experience with that hiking and camping store? Can you buy sleeping bags over there? I had some but I want camping in Belgium and the weather was horrible and they... Well they are defective! So I'd rather buy them there than take them along on the plane and bus to the park.

Thanks guys!

I have shopped at the Yosemite Sports Shop and the Yosemite Mountain Shop when we forgot or needed to replace clothing and camping supplies. I am not sure if they sell sleeping bags or not. If you are going to Yosemite on the 41 through Fresno, you can get all kinds of outdoor related things at the REI that is at 7810 N. Blackstone Ave. Phone: (559) 261-4168 Things at the REI will be less expensive than if you bought it in Yosemite. If you can tell us where you are driving from and what route you are taking, someone could suggest a store along the way. We always go through Fresno so that is why we know there is a outdoor sports store there.
January 23, 2012 09:36PM
parklover

If you can tell us where you are driving from and what route you are taking, someone could suggest a store along the way. We always go through Fresno so that is why we know there is a outdoor sports store there.

Ben is planning to fly into Fresno and then will take Amtrak to Merced and then the YARTS bus into Yosemite Valley. He won't be driving a car during his visit. (He has stated this on other recent threads the past couple of days.)

January 23, 2012 06:00PM
Others answered the main question...here's a link to monthly climate normals for Yosemite Valley: Yosemite Park HQ Climate

The 20 degree bag recommendations for summer in the other thread were for the high country, not the valley.
January 23, 2012 10:46PM
I'd take a sweater in the daytime too if you're planning on summiting anything. I found it to be pretty cold for about 10 minutes one time when the wind really kicked up on top of Clouds Rest on a sunny day in August.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login