Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Bear Warning

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Bear Warning
January 26, 2012 05:29PM
January 26, 2012 09:38PM
That was good!!! It started out so seriously.
February 02, 2012 08:21PM
February 03, 2012 03:27AM
Excellent post smiling smiley I have heard of the bear bells, i might try wearing those next time I hike to ostrander lake - i wasnt paying much attention while walking and when i looked up i saw a nice full grown bear about 40 feet away on the trail. I think I read somewhere that the bear spray isn't allowed in yosemite for some reason - could anyone confirm this?
February 03, 2012 06:34AM
February 03, 2012 06:46AM
Please for the love of Chick-on ... you do not need bear bells in Yosemite.
Find out how many people have been attacked and/or killed by black bears
in Yosemite. (hint: it's < 1)

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 03, 2012 06:52AM
chick-on
Please for the love of Chick-on ... you do not need bear bells in Yosemite.
Find out how many people have been attacked and/or killed by black bears
in Yosemite. (hint: it's < 1)

Yes, but you might need those bells for the killer deer!
February 03, 2012 03:52PM
I once hiked up the Yosemite Falls trail behind a woman with a stupid bear bell on her pack. No matter how hard I tried to get away from her she'd take similar breaks or hike the same pace and I'd always hear that stupid bell. I wanted to rip it off her pack and chuck it over the falls.
February 03, 2012 04:03PM
calipidder
I wanted to rip it off her pack and chuck it over the falls.

But that would be littering!
February 03, 2012 07:25AM
How long has this bear bells/pepper spray gag been around (at least 20 years in my experience)? I wonder who first told it.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
February 03, 2012 02:33PM
Bear spray is illegal, but people still carry it. They also carry bear bells. Neither of those is useful in any way unless you enjoy intentionally annoying other hikers or carrying extra weight around.
February 03, 2012 03:28PM
Bear spray is illegal?
February 03, 2012 03:36PM
I was surprised by this too.

It is prohibited in Yosemite: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weapons.htm

The possession, use, or discharge of pepper spray (including bear spray), pellet guns, and BB guns in Yosemite National Park is prohibited.

Apparently it's disallowed by federal regulations, but park superintendents can overrule the regulation and allow it: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/04/national-park-superintendents-have-authority-allow-bear-spray
February 03, 2012 03:36PM
If you read the actual federal regulations - it's classified as a weapon, and those are illegal to have in the park. (Unless you have the paperwork necessary to carry a gun legally - in which case you can legally possess the firearm but it's illegal to use it.)
February 03, 2012 06:24PM
I'd personally bring the bear spray for use on any group carrying the bear bells.
February 03, 2012 06:49PM
mbear
I'd personally bring the bear spray for use on any group carrying the bear bells.

Doesn't it just increase the noise level?
February 03, 2012 07:49PM
eeek
mbear

Doesn't it just increase the noise level?

Maybe temporarily, but it would give one some time to get way ahead of the bells for the rest of the day.
February 19, 2012 04:50PM
So, wait... next you're going to tell me banging two sticks together won't keep the mountain lions away?

February 19, 2012 06:37PM
itchbay
So, wait... next you're going to tell me banging two sticks together won't keep the mountain lions away?

I'm just glad you sent us to the original version.
February 19, 2012 07:44PM
itchbay

I always liked that movie. Much better than the remake.
February 19, 2012 08:11PM
parklover
itchbay

Had a crush on Mills back when it came out.
February 20, 2012 12:59AM
parklover
itchbay

I actually enjoy both versions a lot. Each version has it good points. But who would have ever thought that Lindsay Lohan would turn out the way she did after watching her star in the remake (her major motion picture debut).
February 20, 2012 11:11PM
I can't decide if he was so hungry he was willing to risk attacking a human,
or if he was used to being fed by humans and thought he was getting a handout.

It looked like he kept going after the same thing, maybe the camera? Was the camera being held out like food?

Way too habituated, not the least bit afraid of humans. Where was this taken? ok, northern B.C., and there's a quick clip of some buildings, but I can't tell how remote it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 11:15PM by qumqats.
February 20, 2012 02:48PM
Nor does talking to a yote prevent it from trying to take a bite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 03:17PM by eeek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login