Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Glacier Point firefall wood pile circa 1956

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Glacier Point firefall wood pile circa 1956
January 30, 2012 09:21PM
Found a box of my mom's slides from a road trip she made to the Sierra in 1956 when she was 14. This is Glacier Point with the Firefall coals pile.The two gals in the middle are my mother and her sister.

avatar Re: Glacier Point firefall wood pile circa 1956
January 30, 2012 10:39PM
Totally cool! Thanks for sharing it!
January 31, 2012 03:47AM
Very nice. Thanks for posting. Maybe this should go in an archive somewhere. It's too good to be lost.
January 31, 2012 01:23PM
The Other Tom
Very nice. Thanks for posting. Maybe this should go in an archive somewhere. It's too good to be lost.

If you search <glacier point firefall picture> on Google, it is already on page 2

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
January 31, 2012 06:18AM
Very cool!
January 31, 2012 09:03PM
first picture of them burning the wood into coals i have ever seen, thanks for sharing! smiling smiley
January 31, 2012 10:00PM
Thanks for sharing the pic; that must have been amazing for your mom to see live.

I'd guess most people here have seen this, but for those who haven't, here's an episode of California's Gold with Huell Howser (miss that show like hell since moving out of California) explaining the firefall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXsA7E21ErQ
January 31, 2012 10:41PM
mbear
Thanks for sharing the pic; that must have been amazing for your mom to see live.

I'd guess most people here have seen this, but for those who haven't, here's an episode of California's Gold with Huell Howser (miss that show like hell since moving out of California) explaining the firefall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXsA7E21ErQ

love that video smiling smiley I remember working at glacier point a few years ago when a gentlemen walked up to me and asked me where the hotel was. He said that the last time he was at glacier point he went to the hotel. I replied oh there isn't any hotel here at glacier point. I asked if he was thinking of the Ahwahnee hotel or perhpaps the Wawona hotel which he replied no. Surely he wasn't thinking of the one that used to be at glacier point that had burned down? So i asked him exactly how long ago was it that the last time that he visited glacier point was? To which he replied something like 50 years ago. I informed him of the news about the hotel and pointed to where it used to stand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 11:24PM by marmot.
February 01, 2012 11:40AM
My mother said she, her sister, dad and aunt all stayed in Yosemite for a week that year, first thing they did was go to Glacier Point to look around before finding their campsite below. I'm surprised at the lack of photos of the wood pile so lucky to have a rare picture! That night they then laid out on blankets to watch the Firefall. She said even then the meadow was a mess and she was happy to see what good care of it they're taking now. She said during the week they hiked, rode bikes and horses, and inner tubed the Merced. As soon as I can locate the other slides from that trip I'll post a few if they're any good. Some in this box of 36 are of Sequoia, Grant Grove and one pic of the Whitney Portal trailhead that the people on whitneyportalstore.com have found very interesting! More later...
February 01, 2012 01:23PM
Outstanding! Thx for sharing. It's a great piece of history. Indeed there's very little footage of that time.

Having said that I'm glad it's over and nature is being taken better care off now.
February 01, 2012 07:43PM
Thank you for posting the picture. I did not move to California until 1978 so I missed seeing the firefall in person. I would love to see more of your mother's slides. You are so lucky to have them.
February 06, 2012 04:22PM
cool shot , anyone know the excat point they pushed the coals over?
February 06, 2012 07:09PM
ryanmj

Yes, just to the left of the coals shown in that photo.
February 07, 2012 04:45AM
plawrence
ryanmj

Yes, just to the left of the coals shown in that photo.

yep smiling smiley

if you visit glacier point now they have a rock wall there instead of that metal railing but it's right out on the edge of the point. it would be easier to show you in person.

another cool video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkI2GOm-bHQ
February 07, 2012 10:50AM
marmot

another cool video

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 10:52AM by plawrence.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login