All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite Creek, Porcupine Creek and White Wolf campgrounds
February 17, 2012 10:32AM
Hi all - I am looking for some information about these campgrounds. I already looked on the NPS website but was hoping for "insider" info from those who've been there. I am interested in camping somewhere along Hwy 120. Last year we camped in Tuloumne and had a fabulous time. I thought I would try and mix it up and go somewhere different this year. I am wondering how are the campsites? Super close to each other? How about the facilities? Are there decent trail heads nearby for long and short hikes? Is the campground usually filled with people for a night or two or a whole week? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers-
avatar Re: Yosemite Creek, Porcupine Creek and White Wolf campgrounds
February 17, 2012 01:52PM
I really like Porcupine Flat. It's very green early in the season and there are some sites that aren't right next to other people.
February 17, 2012 02:36PM
I agree with Rick, Porcupine Flat is a really nice campground, especially the campsites at the back, across the bridge over Porcupine Creek. But note that there's no tap water available (you'll need to purify creek water for cooking and drinking), and pets are NOT allowed at the Porcupine Flat Campground (so you can't bring along your dog).

The White Wolf campground campsites are a bit more densely packed than those at Porcupine Flat (though there are a some nicely secluded ones at White Wolf too – though those are usually snatched up first). But the nice thing about White Wolf is that it does have tap water available for your needs (no need to treat, filter, or boil your water), pets ARE allowed, the White Wolf Lodge is easy walking distance from the campground for breakfast or dinner if you don't feel like cooking that day (though reservations are required for dinner since seating is very limited) and there are some real nice short or long day hikes from the White Wolfe campground.

Mosquitoes can be a problem at White Wolf, but no more so than at Tuolumne Meadows campground. So if you can handle the mosquitoes at the Tuolumne Meadows campground, you should have no problem handling the mosiqutoes at the White Wolf campground.

I haven't camped recently at the Yosemite Creek Campground, so I'm not sure how in what condition its access road (a segment of the old Tioga Road) will be in the summer. Last time I drove it (about 12 years ago) it wasn't in that great of shape. And like Porcupine Flat, there's no tap water available. (But pets ARE allowed at the Yosemite Creek campground.)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 06:12PM by plawrence.
Re: Yosemite Creek, Porcupine Creek and White Wolf campgrounds
August 08, 2012 01:59PM
What time is a good time to arrive at White Wolf? Is 9:30am early enough to snag a site?
August 08, 2012 07:03PM
t_pharmin
What time is a good time to arrive at White Wolf? Is 9:30am early enough to snag a site?

That should work. You might even have to wait for someone to leave.
February 17, 2012 02:02PM
Yosemite Creek Campground has access to trails that will take you all along the north rim.

Old Dude
February 17, 2012 05:05PM
I last camped at Yosemite Creek about 4 years ago. The bridge over the creek wasn't repaired yet so that half of the campground was still closed. Pretty sure that is fixed now. The road in sucked with lots of potholes, practically dirt in places. I think it's about 5 miles in off 120. To me those are good things. Lots of good spots spread out from each other and quiet. Many spots right on the creek. It's a weird setup in spots where you kind of park and walk into your spots and pitch your tent wherever. Not convenient to get out to see other parts of the park but great if you want to just hang out in the general area. No services, no water and a funky vault toilet. Like Old Dude said hiking to the north rim is available without the climb out of the valley. Yosemite Creek even has a few small trout but they are hard to catch.

You don't want to be driving in and out of the access road a lot because it is slow going.
February 17, 2012 09:46PM
apeman45
The bridge over the creek wasn't repaired yet so that half of the campground was still closed. Pretty sure that is fixed now.

It's fixed.
February 17, 2012 06:05PM
Tamarack Flat is also another good one off 120. Good for tent camping and lots of room. Good trailhead if you are adventerous....ie: El Capitan, Old Big Oak Flat Road, there are some very interesting excursions on the North Rim from here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 06:10PM by boomtown.
February 18, 2012 07:12AM
Depends on what you want out of the campsite. We like Porcupine Flat a LOT, and use it regularly. Tamarack Flat is a LONG slow drive from Tioga Road, and so if you are hoping to use this campground as a base of operations for going to Tuolumne Meadows or other locations in the park, it is not a good choice.

If you want access to the North Rim, it's a very good choice

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
February 21, 2012 08:45AM
Thank you everyone for your great insider information!! It will be put to good use.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login