All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camping Option Between Tenaya Lake And North Dome
February 27, 2012 07:46AM
Hello all, long time follower. I will be backpacking in a loop this October going from Happy Isles (hopefully) and ending at the bottom of Yosemite Falls with a shuttle back to wherever my car ends up.

I have a question on itinerary. We are camping at the Clouds Rest/JMT junction then going up to Tenaya Lake. I want to get a couple of miles down the trail towards North Dome from the lake. I am not overly familiar with that area and wanted to know if anyone had a spot they recommended. Something nice hopefully smiling smiley

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge

Hiking Blog: http://calicokat-hiking.blogspot.com/

JMT/HST 2012 Blog: http://calicokat-hstjmt2012.blogspot.com/

JMT 2011 Blog: http://calicokat-johnmuirtrail2011.blogspot.com/

Hiking Photography: http://calicokat.smugmug.com/Hiking
Re: Camping Option Between Tenaya Lake And North Dome
February 27, 2012 08:46AM
In October, it's all about water. I don't recall any dependable running water source between Tenaya Lake and Mt Watkins Saddle. So you would have to continue west from there until you get to some. Snow Creek is certainly reliable. I don't know what water is available at the old Ranger Cabin halfway down the hillside between the saddle and Snow Creek, but there might have been a spring.

Perhaps someone else knows.
avatar Re: Camping Option Between Tenaya Lake And North Dome
February 27, 2012 03:08PM
Yes, there is a "spring" at the cabin... but at that pt... you'd just go down to Snow Creek.
From Olmsted to Watkins Saddle... I wouldn't count on any water sources there in October unless
it's mid-October and we've had the seemingly usual early Oct. storm. Hidden Lake is off trail
and doesn't have any much of a view from my recollection of my one visit there.
Anywho. Kitty Kat, have you considered going up to May Lake on day 2? I presume you're zigging up
Clouds Rest and then down to Sunrise TH.
To go from Olmsted down to Snow Creek and not visit Watkins at least a bit is a huge mistake IMO.
But you can do that if you come from May Lake if you ok with a bit of xcountry.

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 27, 2012 06:18PM
I haven't explored much in this particular area, but from a late November trip: definitely don't pass Watkins Saddle without going to Watkins. Three pictures from Watkins can be found here.
February 27, 2012 06:36PM
I didn't post anyting den ... but here's from Presidents Day 2012

February 27, 2012 07:41PM
Are there mattresses at Snow Creek Cabin like at Ostrander, or would I expect to bring my ThermaRest[tm] if I were to stay there?

(Are the three spots in the bottom (or top) of your avatar the location of the oil intakes?)
February 27, 2012 10:16PM
Well I've seen Ostrander Hut many times now... but never the inside of it cept thru the windows...
and I don't see a photo of the inside in your faux toes ...
so I can only show you what Snow Creek Cabin looks like:

The answer is... leave the therma/inflatable at home... I'll only bring a Z Rest...
and I'll skip staying there on a Saturday night... (we had it to ourselves Sunday night tho which was awesome).

I know I showed this one before... but here it is anyway... Old Dood atop Horsie Ridge in Aug of Two Naught Un Ought

(Kewl on you getting up der over Prez Day)

Have fun

February 28, 2012 07:51AM
Thanks. I didn't get any pictures of the inside of Ostrander, there were quite a few people around. Basically, there's triple bunks that fold out from each wall downstairs, w/ a long table down the middle, and towards the back a guest kitchen on one side and the hutkeeper's room on the other. Upstairs there's air mattresses on the floor w/ one ranger's room.
February 28, 2012 01:30PM
ttilley
there's triple bunks that fold out from each wall downstairs

Sounds like a place where the walls bulge at night from the snoring.
February 28, 2012 06:36AM
The creeklet you cross 1 1/4 miles W of Olmsted prob. has water year round.
I just don't know on account only been on the trail 4 or 5 times and three of the times
for sure were when Tioga was closed and covered in white stuff... and when old dude
and I went that-a-way we visited Hidden and got water there for Watkins.
If you make a little effort, there are indeed nice views right by Hidden.
At least I think so:

February 27, 2012 04:43PM
Remember that you have to be a mile from the road, wherever you end up camping.
February 27, 2012 10:23PM
AlmostThere
Remember that you have to be a mile from the road, wherever you end up camping.

Just to add to this post, here's a map showing explicitly where you can legally camp.

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/trailheadmap.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 10:23PM by mbear.
March 05, 2012 10:52AM
Thank you all for the info. I want to visit and perhaps camp on top of or near Mt. Watkins one day and North Dome the next. Water will be the main issue. I have a ten liter dromedary bag that I could suffer with. The stream 1.25 miles west of Olmstead looks pretty good for the Watkins water situation, but what about water for North Dome???
March 05, 2012 11:50AM
calicokat
what about water for North Dome???

Snow Creek will be your best bet. It will almost certainly have water.
March 05, 2012 12:01PM
It looks like Snow Creek crosses at the footbridge. Is that the last place to get water before North Dome??? It looks like the trail parallels Snow Creek for a couple of miles going north. Can I get water along the way or at least closer to North Dome??? Just don't want to carry a ten liter bag of water any farther than necessary smiling smiley
March 05, 2012 12:09PM
calicokat
It looks like Snow Creek crosses at the footbridge. Is that the last place to get water before North Dome??? It looks like the trail parallels Snow Creek for a couple of miles going north. Can I get water along the way or at least closer to North Dome??? Just don't want to carry a ten liter bag of water any farther than necessary smiling smiley

There are a couple of water sources between ND and Tioga Road, along the trail from Porcupine TH. You can also try your luck in the western direction, between ND and UYF: Royal Arches Creek, Lehamite Creek, Indian Cyn Creek. For Snow Creek footbridge, try a cross-country trek from ND through Basket instead of going around Indian Ridge. Although there should be water at the Porcupine/Snow creeks confluence, if you stay on the trails. The Half Dome Trail map by Tom Harrison has a nice blowup of that whole area, if you don't have a GPS. Shows Watkins, North, Basket, Tenaya Lake, etc.
March 05, 2012 04:56PM
I camped at North Dome a few years ago (Aug. Sept.?), and after reaching the north saddle at the dome I left my wife and gear while I went the mile or so west to Lehamite Creek for water. Royal Arches Creek had a trickle that could have worked but Lehamite was running clear and cold. And it's an easy walk. Beautiful spot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login