Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: No Government Vehicles on Foresta Road Between Foresta and El Portal During Hwy 120 Closure

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar No Government Vehicles on Foresta Road Between Foresta and El Portal During Hwy 120 Closure
March 02, 2012 03:14PM
Government vehicles are strictly prohibited on Foresta Road between Foresta and El Portal. It is not a safe or viable option during the Highway 120 road closure. The road is very narrow and washed out in some areas. The road is very narrow and steep, with no room to turn around once you begin driving in either direction. It can be very dangerous in bad weather and ice. While the Foresta Road is maintained by Mariposa County and not the park, NPS does not recommend it for public use either.
eeek

While the Foresta Road is maintained by Mariposa County and not the park, NPS does not recommend it for public use either.

Has Mariposa County ever considered paving its portion of Foresta Road between El Portal and Foresta?
Isn't it basically an abandoned road? If it's not passable to normal cars it sure doesn't sound like it's maintained!
avatar Re: No Government Vehicles on Foresta Road Between Foresta and El Portal During Hwy 120 Closure
March 06, 2012 12:08AM
qumqats
Isn't it basically an abandoned road? If it's not passable to normal cars it sure doesn't sound like it's maintained!

I drove it in the 80s.
eeek
qumqats

I drove it in the 80s.

I remember...

(that link also contains a few photos of the road... it's in decent shape. def. not abandoned... they just
don't want the general population using it)
(and conditions definitely vary) (I wouldn't even attempt it w/o having a shovel in the car just in case)

Chick-on is looking at you!
eeek
qumqats

I drove it in the 80s.
I drove down it in 2007. I thought it was one way. I seem to remember a sign in El Portal where it hits pavement saying "do not enter."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login