Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Basket Dome

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 11, 2012 05:26PM
Last year we did the North Dome hike from Tioga Road and picked a day with too many clouds to get the best photos. I expect we'll try again this year. I was looking at Google Earth to see about going to Basket Dome. I guess there is no trail to it. I found a Youtube video taken from Basket Dome saying it's easy to get there from the saddle on North Dome. Anyone done this? Is it easy? Looks like you would start at the transition between forest and granite where North Dome begins and head east downhill through the forest. Then up Basket Dome which looks sort of steep but I've learned you can't really trust Google Earth as to how doable a hike is.

Chuck
March 11, 2012 08:56PM
It's not bad. I swear I answered this query before... but I can't find it.
I thought I even drew a map...

I only found these:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,29798

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,46346

You may be dancing thru the shrub... general rule of thumb... if there is a line of large trees... that is what
you want to stick too... Basket is not THAT steep. There's lots of cracks and pieces o granite
to grip on.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 11, 2012 09:07PM
Here's a picture to show you just how non-steep you can make it if you want:

March 11, 2012 09:59PM
Thanks! It doesn't look too steep from that vantage point. So it's from the NE that it looks like a basket. I'll see if we get there this summer.

Chuck
March 12, 2012 06:39AM
To get the shot from NE you have to cross a bit of a gully and more or less get atop of this gem:

(and this is why I eventually gave up going up the gully. THICK MANZ) (my original idea was to hug the dome edge... but
even getting to that was a nightmare... ) (still have yet to attempt it again... not sure I will)

Here's another showing it aint no big thang getting up der:

(don't blame me though if you find otherwise... all my opinions are facts and half been verified)

And one from da top:

By far the best view of Half Dome in the park (I'm yoking) (those statements drive me bonkers)
I do love Starr King poking up there though

Have fun exploring

March 12, 2012 10:43AM
Every view of Half Dome is a great view but I think Basket Dome provides the most face-on view.

We can decide when we get to the north base of North Dome whether we want to try going to Basket Dome or not.

Thanks for the additional photos.

Chuck
March 12, 2012 11:47AM
Here is the old chick-on report...as usual its very comprehensive and should give you all that you need to know.

Chick-on Basket
March 12, 2012 05:21PM
Or you could look here:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,51766,51768#msg-51768

(I thought all my "reports" were incomprensible)

*** btw the route I would really go would x up to Z real Indian Rock and then along the ridge and
then just drop right on down to the domage E of Basket... then over to Le Bass-cat ... x over to El Norte...
and back out the trail...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 05:27PM by chick-on.
June 29, 2013 05:55PM
We tried to go to Basket dome last Thursday. It didn't work out. We got to the saddle on the north end of North Dome and headed out into the forest towards Basket Dome. We were immediately swarmed by a million mosquitos and they were biting. We had encountered few mosquitos on the way out there. I don't know what was so special about this area but they were horrible and we weren't prepared for them.

We decided to give it a try anyway but a few hundred feet into the forest it turned into solid manzanita with no easy way through it and it got steep downhill fast. We might have spent a little more time looking for a way through if it hadn't been for the mosquitos.

Looking at the map here:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,56267

the green area from the saddle to the base of Basket is mostly manzanita.

I guess there's big difference between what we can do and what some here consider easy. sad smiley
June 29, 2013 08:09PM
Calaveras
We tried to go to Basket dome last Thursday. It didn't work out. We got to the saddle on the north end of North Dome and headed out into the forest towards Basket Dome. We were immediately swarmed by a million mosquitos and they were biting. We had encountered few mosquitos on the way out there. I don't know what was so special about this area but they were horrible and we weren't prepared for them.

We decided to give it a try anyway but a few hundred feet into the forest it turned into solid manzanita with no easy way through it and it got steep downhill fast. We might have spent a little more time looking for a way through if it hadn't been for the mosquitos.

Looking at the map here:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,56267

the green area from the saddle to the base of Basket is mostly manzanita.

I guess there's big difference between what we can do and what some here consider easy. sad smiley

No, something is wrong. I don't remember the exact route, but I have done it several times, and the brush wasn't bad. It seems unlikely that it could have become impossible in just a year.

I do remember that we traversed as high as possible beneath the rock face at the beginning, and looked very hard at the terrain before starting down into the vegetation. However, I will e-mail my hiking buddy, and see if he remembers any problem there.

I understand that Chick-on teaches a class called "bush dancing". He has also been there a number of times. Maybe he can comment.

The mosquitoes, well that could be. It's been a funny Spring.
June 29, 2013 09:12PM
wherever

The mosquitoes, well that could be. It's been a funny Spring.

Always carry bug repellant when hiking in Yosemite's high country between mid-June to mid-August.

Oftentimes it won't be needed, but when it's needed, you'll definitely want to have it.

June 29, 2013 10:22PM
I talked to my buddy, who remembers very little, other than that striking out directly for Basket Dome direct route is wrong. And he was confronted with that brush twice last year. Once on the way to Basket Dome, and once when he went solo down that side of North Dome to Washington Column (a very bad idea).

The direct route to Basket Dome is currently full of brush. You could pass it on the right and drop way down to the denser trees below the brush, then work your way across. But that means more lost elevation. Or you stay high against the rock as long as possible (as I did) until past the worst of the brush. My buddy stayed high even longer than I did, and beat me to Basket Dome by a wide margin.

What the place really needs in a brush fire.
June 30, 2013 09:20AM
I reviewed the area in Google Earth and I see the brush that stopped us. It's not obvious to me how staying high along the rock avoids the brush or how even to get there. There's a large area of what looks like solid brush. It looks very steep where it finally gives way to rock. I looked at going low but that appeared very steep also. Could be this just isn't for us but I'll keep it in mind in case another detailed post about the route comes up.
July 01, 2013 07:09AM
It's not bad. I'm not kidding. Seriously.

Go down to the saddle... and before you climb North Dome itself... zig ENE-ish (it feels ESE though)
One very small bit of shrub to go thru... very small... and you are golden
the rest of the way... if you stay up high... yummy

I'm not pulling yur legs... lookie:

(taken in 2012)

And here's a map made just for you...
if you want to go to the east side... there is a bit of stuff you have to go thru... but again... it's
pretty simple imho. YMMV

once you start up Basket... there's a zillion ways up... if you see a cairn... sheesh

Have fun

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2013 07:18AM by chick-on.
July 01, 2013 12:18PM
Thanks for the map and photo. Looks like you were a bit farther south than we were trying. Maybe another time when the mosquitos are gone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login