Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Even the foothills are covered with snow

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Even the foothills are covered with snow
March 19, 2012 09:32AM
Something that hasn't been seen too often this winter:

(View this morning from the western facing Turtleback Dome webcam)
March 19, 2012 10:05AM
Yesterday, I looked at the Oakhurst Cam at the 41/49 intersection and there was snow even on the road. I just checked again and it looks like there is still some on the side of the road and on building roofs.
March 19, 2012 10:06AM
yes the snow level got down to like 2200 feet. The sun is out now and I suspect most the foothill snow will gone before the end of the day.
I hear Badger area got 4 - 5 feet. We needed it!
avatar Re: Even the foothills are covered with snow
March 19, 2012 09:04PM
From my front porch on Sunday Morning at 2500':

March 19, 2012 09:23PM
Did you get TV reception with all that snow on the dish?
March 20, 2012 09:00PM
I've seen a lot more snow on a Tahoe area ski lease's dish w/ reception still working. But, w/ a foot-high pinnacle of snow on top of the collector, reception would stop working. And, at some point, the weight of snow on the dish could screw up the dish's orientation.
March 21, 2012 05:46PM
That's a Wildblue internet dish and it doesn't work with that much snow on it. I'm in the process of switching over to a local wireless provider and that was unaffected by the snow. It was more amazing that we didn't lose power.
March 26, 2012 09:36AM
I think there is even more snow on that west facing cam after this storm today.
March 20, 2012 04:59PM
I seem to recall you mentioning Catheys Valley. I was hoping to get a picture of the Catheys Valley sign with snow on it...
with me atop it... but no dice. You may be interested to know though that the hills IMMEDIATELY surrounding that area
were covered in snow. So my guess is that it snowed to down around 1500 ft.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 20, 2012 05:03PM
chick-on
I seem to recall you mentioning Catheys Valley. I was hoping to get a picture of the Catheys Valley sign with snow on it...
with me atop it... but no dice. You may be interested to know though that the hills IMMEDIATELY surrounding that area

At one point I saw chain requirements from Catheys Valley to Midpines.
March 20, 2012 05:22PM
I guess they closed 41 for a bit. Not letting people out of the valley. I only know this because
someone asked me if "that road over there" was open yet. Never had to put chains on
although I wanted a PLOW at one pt. ... person in front of me going < 5 MILES PER HOUR
on the section in front of Yose Falls. There was one bike in the valley ... a pedal bike... and this
person BARELY passed the bike. My wife said it was Karma kicking my butt again for
passing another clown going 10 mph on the downhill after Midpines.
We just got all around lucky because it wasn't snowing until we got to Cascade Parking lot
Saturday and then it just came down.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 20, 2012 08:53PM
chick-on

Yes, I did. That was interesting drive back in 2006. It was nighttime and there was no signs of at all that Hwy 140 was being plowed between Catheys Valley and Mariposa.

The plowing started at Mariposa and continued until the boundary of the park. At that point, no more plowing.

Don't know if it's still true today, but when I asked the front desk of the Yosemite Lodge that night why Hwy 140 and the Northside drive wasn't being plowed (Southside Drive was closed that winter), the clerk said that generally speaking the Park Service doesn't plow the roads at night but they'll start plowing again at daybreak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login