Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Pohono Trail - Overnight

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Pohono Trail - Overnight
March 21, 2012 08:58PM
Hi All,

I'm looking at doing the Pohono Trail starting at Glacier Point. I'm doing this w/ my GF who isn't hardcore and will be camping somewhere along the way. I read over several posts about debating where you can/can't camp based on distance from road/trail.

What I'm wondering is can I camp on Bridalveil Creek? What are the camping conditions like there? From pictures I've seen it doesn't look very flat or hospitable but those are pretty limited.

My idea is to stretch this out over 2 or 3 days and just do day hikes from that camp, have any of you done anything like this?

Finally, we'd likely hike back out the way we came in because transportation back to Glacier point, from what I read, seems to be a PITA. Any recommendations on how to overcome that? I'd love to hike the whole trail but have never set foot on it and am not super familiar w/ Yosemite Valley.

Any help would be appreciated.
March 21, 2012 09:28PM
When are you planning to do this?
March 21, 2012 09:31PM
July or Sept
March 21, 2012 10:07PM
Pick up some extra water at Bridalveil and camp at one of the points. If you go in early July, the water situation should be fine. In August, not so sure.
avatar Re: Pohono Trail - Overnight
March 22, 2012 06:43AM
Here's the answer w/r to Pohono (and I know for certain this is the case b/c I got reamed a
new one by wherever for saying it wrong at one pt) (that you could not camp at
Inspiration Pt.):
For Pohono you have to be WEST of Bridalveil Creek and coming from GP you have to
cross the bridge over Bridalveil... then you are good to go.
Coming from the Wawona Tunnel the 1 mile restriction is in effect ... so more or less
if you are at or beyond Inspiration Pt. you are fine.

What KC said about Pts... he means Dewey, Crocker, or Stanford. You cannot camp
at Taft in July and August.
Bridalveil has a lot of camp spots that are flat... I've camped there... and dayhiked to Taft, etc.
It's on the creek and very wooded. I'm not sure the complaints levied other than there is
only a tree view.... no valley view.

There are places to camp at Dewey for sure... Crocker and Stanford may be more difficult
for a tent camper since it's not super flat anywhere in that area.

What I would recommend you do with your comments is to maybe just go in from McGurk,
set up camp at Bridalveil and do the dayhikes to Taft and Sentinel Dome one day (you can
do a little loop there)... and go to Dewey the next. McGurk is a simple backpack.
If you feel spry then continue to Dewey and camp there and find a room with a view.
Don't camp right AT the point though since you'll be there for a bit and there will be
dayhikers coming thru more than likely (def. if over a weekend).

For water Bridalveil has water year round as does the small trib. b/t Dewey and Bridal.
I doubt you'll go to Meadow Brook but that has water yr round too.

Have fun
(and don't yell at me if you camp at Bridalveil and the dayhike to Dewey and say "wahh.... we should have camped here" )
(I personally wouldn't camp at Bridalveil)

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 22, 2012 07:55AM
To further make Bill's point:

Here's Bridalveil Creek in the fall

And here's Dewey Point

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login