Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Curry Village Opening Today

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Curry Village Opening Today
March 23, 2012 12:49PM
Curry Village is excited to announce they will open for the 2012 season on Friday, March 23rd. The Curry Village registration will open at noon on Friday for check-in for arriving guests. The Pizza Deck (indoor seating available) will open at 5:00 p.m. with regular hours of operation for the season of Mon-Fri 5-9 p.m. and Sat-Sun 12-9 p.m. The Pavilion Buffet will open for dinner 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and beginning Sat. March 24th with be open daily for breakfast from 7-10 a.m. and dinner from 5:30-8:30 p.m. The Curry Village Bar opens at 5:00 on Friday will daily hours of operation Mon-Fri 5-10 p.m. and 12-10 p.m. Sat-Sun. Coffee Corner opens for the season Sat. March 24th from 7-11 a.m. daily.
March 23, 2012 02:59PM
eeek
The Pizza Deck (indoor seating available) will open at 5:00 p.m. with regular hours of operation for the season of Mon-Fri 5-9 p.m. and Sat-Sun 12-9 p.m.

I just ate lunch here in Alaska but all of a sudden am hungry again! Curry Pizza Deck rocks!
March 23, 2012 04:08PM
chicagocwright
eeek
The Pizza Deck (indoor seating available) will open at 5:00 p.m. with regular hours of operation for the season of Mon-Fri 5-9 p.m. and Sat-Sun 12-9 p.m.

I just ate lunch here in Alaska but all of a sudden am hungry again! Curry Pizza Deck rocks!

Curry pizza is the best.

Degnan's sucks!
March 23, 2012 06:20PM
tanngrisnir3
chicagocwright
eeek

Curry pizza is the best.

Degnan's sucks!

I am looking for the "Like" button...
avatar Re: Curry Village Opening Today
March 23, 2012 06:45PM
chicagocwright
tanngrisnir3
chicagocwright
eeek

Curry pizza is the best.

Degnan's sucks!

I am looking for the "Like" button...

It's the +1 up above.
March 26, 2012 11:46AM
tanngrisnir3
chicagocwright
eeek

Curry pizza is the best.

Degnan's sucks!
You guys are nuts!
March 26, 2012 12:39PM
The pizza at the cafeteria at Yosemite Lodge is the worse. I hate that it is a cheese blend and don't like the spices they put on the crust. I like Degnan's pizza the best and it always comes to the table hot with the correct amount of toppings. We used to get pizza at Curry all the time but the quality of the pizza would occasionally be bad - cold, hardly any cheese or burned. Then the last two times we got pizza there all three of us got sick so we are hesitant to go back.
March 26, 2012 03:00PM
parklover

The pizza at the cafeteria at Yosemite Lodge is the worse. I hate that it is a cheese blend and don't like the spices they put on the crust. I like Degnan's pizza the best and it always comes to the table hot with the correct amount of toppings. We used to get pizza at Curry all the time but the quality of the pizza would occasionally be bad - cold, hardly any cheese or burned. Then the last two times we got pizza there all three of us got sick so we are hesitant to go back.

Just an FYI. If you get sick like that as a group after eating at a restaurant, you owe it to yourselves and your fellow diners to report your illness to the local county's health department (in this case Mariposa County). They can then take corrective action against the establishment if it's warranted.

Note that if you or the people you're with get sick after a meal, it's not necessarily a case of food poisoning. Sometimes it's simply a lack of hygiene's on the diners part, or they could have caught a contagious bug from some other nearby diners.

Again, reporting your sickness to the local health department can help determine if it was a case of food poisoning or not.
March 26, 2012 03:20PM
plawrence
parklover

Just an FYI. If you get sick like that as a group after eating at a restaurant, you owe it to yourselves and your fellow diners to report your illness to the local county's health department (in this case Mariposa County). They can then take corrective action against the establishment if it's warranted.

Note that if you or the people you're with get sick after a meal, it's not necessarily a case of food poisoning. Sometimes it's simply a lack of hygiene's on the diners part, or they could have caught a contagious bug from some other nearby diners.

Again, reporting your sickness to the local health department can help determine if it was a case of food poisoning or not.

We reported it to the manager where we were staying at the park. He insisted that it was not food poisening. I have had food poisening before so I knew it was that because of the symptoms and because of the timing of us all getting sick. I contacted my doctor when we got home the next day and they said that it was food poisening and not a stomach flu or infection. Since we got it in the park, I did not know whose jurisdiction it was under ( the park or the county) that is why I told the manager who said he would look into it. I have no idea if he did.
March 26, 2012 05:47PM
It's good that you reported it. But the manager has an incentive to just sweep it under the rug.

For any eating establishment in Yosemite Valley or Wawona, I would first try contacting Mariposa County Dept. of Environmental Health: (209) 966-2220 or Toll Free: (888) 777-0377. If they don't have jurisdiction because it's federal land, I'm sure they would direct you to the appropriate federal agency. (Though I'm pretty sure that they do handle any food safety issue of food facilities inside Yosemite National Park that are located within Mariposa County.)
March 26, 2012 06:19PM
plawrence
It's good that you reported it. But the manager has an incentive to just sweep it under the rug.

For any eating establishment in Yosemite Valley or Wawona, I would first try contacting Mariposa County Dept. of Environmental Health: (209) 966-2220 or Toll Free: (888) 777-0377. If they don't have jurisdiction because it's federal land, I'm sure they would direct you to the appropriate federal agency. (Though I'm pretty sure that they do handle any food safety issue of food facilities inside Yosemite National Park that are located within Mariposa County.)

It was over a year ago so it is too late to report it to the county. However, I will keep the number just in case we are unlucky and it happens again. I hope not, it was not a nice experience.
March 26, 2012 05:22PM
What's interesting about this annual Pizza argument is that all of the pizza outlets in Yosemite are owned and run by the same company (DNC) which tells me all the pizzas and ingredients served at all the outlets in the Valley are from the same vendor. So how is the quality of the pizzas from Curry Pizza Porch, Degnans, Yosemite Lodge Cafeteria, and Curry Cafeteria possibly different???? Me thinks it comes down to how hungry the diners are at the moment, how the ambience at the moment is, the people you are eating with, and what liquid refreshments complement the pizza........
March 26, 2012 05:58PM
Because of execution and recipes used. Though I think many of the raw ingredients are probably the same.

For me, the pizzas from Curry Village and Degnan's are somewhat similar in taste, though not quite the same.

At Degnan's Loft, there are more toppings available for one's pizza, plus some years they'll even give one the option of choosing what what type of sauce (tomato-base sauce, or a white-garlic based sauce) they want for their pizza.

At the Curry Pizza Deck, the options are more limited, and also the execution is less consistent than at Degnan's, so between the two, I prefer the pizza at Degnan's.

But the crust and toppings of the personal size pizzas available at the Yosemite Lodge Food Court is completely different than those of Degnan's and Curry's Pizza Deck. The pizzas at Curry and Degnan's appear to be made from scratch, while it would surprise me of the personal-size pizzas they serve at the Yosemite Lodge Food Court comes frozen and pre-made. The pizza served at the Food Court is pretty bad.
March 26, 2012 06:26PM
I am not a fan of the Food Court except for breakfast. I really miss the sitdown place they used to have called "Four Seasons" that was next to the cafeteria where the nature shop and that meeting room is now. What we liked about it was that it was a sit down place with waiters with better food than the cafeteria but not as expensive as the Mountain Room. They used to have some of the same things on the menu that the Mountain Room served.

Does anyone else here remember when the Loft served steaks and other kinds of food? They used to have one of the best burritoes that I have ever tasted.
March 26, 2012 11:07PM
parklover

I am not a fan of the Food Court except for breakfast. I really miss the sitdown place they used to have called "Four Seasons" that was next to the cafeteria where the nature shop and that meeting room is now. What we liked about it was that it was a sit down place with waiters with better food than the cafeteria but not as expensive as the Mountain Room. They used to have some of the same things on the menu that the Mountain Room served.

I totally agree with your remarks about the late great "Four Seasons" restaurant that used to be located where the "Garden Terrace" now resides. It was a good place to get a decent meal at a relatively decent price. I was sadden when DNC replaced it with the Garden Terrace, an all you can eat buffet with extremely mediocre, almost inedible food. But the Garden Terrace as an eating establishment was short lived, because a couple or so years after the Four Seasons was converted to the Garden Terrace, the 1997 Great Flood wiped out all the cabins of the Lodge so DNC decided to shutdown the Garden Terrace buffet since they no longer needed the extra dining capacity.
March 26, 2012 06:42PM
plawrence
Because of execution and recipes used. Though I think many of the raw ingredients are probably the same.

For me, the pizzas from Curry Village and Degnan's are somewhat similar in taste, though not quite the same.

At Degnan's Loft, there are more toppings available for one's pizza, plus some years they'll even give one the option of choosing what what type of sauce (tomato-base sauce, or a white-garlic based sauce) they want for their pizza.

At the Curry Pizza Deck, the options are more limited, and also the execution is less consistent than at Degnan's, so between the two, I prefer the pizza at Degnan's.

But the crust and toppings of the personal size pizzas available at the Yosemite Lodge Food Court is completely different than those of Degnan's and Curry's Pizza Deck. The pizzas at Curry and Degnan's appear to be made from scratch, while it would surprise me of the personal-size pizzas they serve at the Yosemite Lodge Food Court comes frozen and pre-made. The pizza served at the Food Court is pretty bad.

Me tinks you have never actually eaten the Pizza.
And made this all up.

Now fess up...

tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 26, 2012 07:15PM
This is all propaganda against the Curry Village Pizza Deck by opponents who would rather shut it down. Denying access to this wonderful pizza would be a travesty but the propaganda machine is hard to fight against. Now we are faced with the new challenges of threats from health inspectors and the authoritarian Health Department with unproven food poisoning allegations. Friends of Curry Pizza Deck must band together and not allow the critics to besmirch this fine institution of the best pizza west of Chicago.

SaveCurryPizza
March 26, 2012 07:20PM
chicagocwright
This is all propaganda against the Curry Village Pizza Deck by opponents who would rather shut it down. Denying access to this wonderful pizza would be a travesty but the propaganda machine is hard to fight against. Now we are faced with the new challenges of threats from health inspectors and the authoritarian Health Department with unproven food poisoning allegations. Friends of Curry Pizza Deck must band together and not allow the critics to besmirch this fine institution of the best pizza west of Chicago.

SaveCurryPizza

You realize there's a place called "Pizz'a Chicago" in Santa Clara, CA...its really quite tasty, significantly better than Curry Village.
March 26, 2012 07:47PM
chicagocwright
best pizza west of Chicago.

You must be comparing it to 1360 North Ashland.
March 26, 2012 09:57PM
eeek
chicagocwright
best pizza west of Chicago.

You must be comparing it to 1360 North Ashland.

Such an insult to the fine establishment of Curry Pizza Deck!
March 26, 2012 07:48PM
The best part about Degnan's is the outer crust and the toppings, the core crust is a little thin for my liking, but it is still better than Curry. And yes, I have eaten both, at least half a dozen times each.
March 26, 2012 09:00PM
mtn man
What's interesting about this annual Pizza argument is that all of the pizza outlets in Yosemite are owned and run by the same company (DNC) which tells me all the pizzas and ingredients served at all the outlets in the Valley are from the same vendor. So how is the quality of the pizzas from Curry Pizza Porch, Degnans, Yosemite Lodge Cafeteria, and Curry Cafeteria possibly different???? Me thinks it comes down to how hungry the diners are at the moment, how the ambience at the moment is, the people you are eating with, and what liquid refreshments complement the pizza........

I like Degnans the best because of the toppings and the fact that it is not as busy as Curry so your pizza is always hot when you get it and you don't have to wait as long. Before the getting sick thing, we had Curry's pizza a lot, even more than Degnans. We liked being able to sit on the deck and also during the winter, you can't get pizza at Degnan's. Sometimes we would eat there more than once on a trip. I am sure that we will go back at some point. As for the Lodge, it says right on the board that they use a cheese blend of more than one type of cheese, and I prefer only mozzerella cheese on my pizza. And, as I mentioned, they have some sort of herb -spice mix on the crust that I don't like that Curry and Degnan's don't use.
March 26, 2012 09:38PM
I enjoyed staying at Curry two Christmases ago. Kind of a pain not having food options open, but was nice and quiet.
March 26, 2012 11:48PM
I mostly lurk/read and exchange PMs, but you have touched on two topics dear to my heart - Yosemite and pizza. I have enjoyed pizza at both Degnan's and Curry Village and found them acceptable, but I wonder if you might have encountered the Norwalk virus. That little demon infests cruise ships, rest homes and restaurants and causes all kinds of unpleasantness. The restaurant manager undoubtedly has more than a passing experience with the problem and probably initiated quiet remedial action after he spoke with you.

Further on the matter of pizza, I recently made use of a 14" Dutch oven with 10 briquettes on the bottom, 20 briquettes on the top and approximately 20 minutes to produce one memorable homemade pepperoni, mushroom, green pepper and black olive creation. I used parchment paper in the Dutch oven, so removal to a waiting pan was made easier. I would really like to duplicate that effort in Yosemite.
March 27, 2012 09:00AM
We eat Curry pizza when we stay in the tent cabins. In February we had pineapple and Canadian bacon. It was OK. (It doesn't compare to our favorite Bishop Pizza Factory and Curry doesn't offer our favorite topping...anchovies.)

Anyway, the best Curry pizza was when we brought it back to the campsite and used the wienie poker to roast it a bit over the campfire.

Many of you may remember that a few years back, there was a virus running (no pun intended)outhouse rampant in Yosemite. That may be when parklover got sick.
March 27, 2012 04:58PM
I wish Pizza Factory would somehow be able to operate in the Village.

Drooooooollllll....
March 27, 2012 06:54PM
What does a pizza even go for in Curry? Do you get really gouged on the price, or is it something close to within reason relative to non-DNC society?
March 27, 2012 07:18PM
I've had it once for lunch as a "personal size", I don't remember the bill (looks like I paid cash as its not in my "iBank" records), but I don't remember being shocked in any way. As pizza, it was OK, nothing to get excited or outraged over, it was freshly made so that was nice.
March 27, 2012 08:49PM
mbear
What does a pizza even go for in Curry? Do you get really gouged on the price, or is it something close to within reason relative to non-DNC society?
IIRC it's about 12.99 for a one topping large.
March 27, 2012 09:05PM
hotrod4x5
mbear
IIRC it's about 12.99 for a one topping large.

Not bad; thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login