Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Spring in the Merced River Canyon

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Spring in the Merced River Canyon
March 24, 2012 04:12PM
The Merced River is a very special place for viewing wildflowers. A most spectacular display can be seen during the spring and early summer months. For those less inclined to hike, the river can be accessed by car along a six mile BLM road (the old Yosemite railroad grade) beginning at the Briceburg Visitor Center and ending at the three BLM campgrounds. Beyond the campgrounds, only pedestrians and bicycles can continue along the ungroomed 18-mile river trail.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folsom/mflowers.html
avatar Re: Spring in the Merced River Canyon
March 24, 2012 11:36PM
just drove up 140 this afternoon, and yep, as Julie Andrews said, "the hills are alive..."
(but just in certain places)

from around 4 miles down from the geology exhibit at the bridge that takes you around the landslide:
Re: Spring in the Merced River Canyon
March 25, 2012 08:39AM
Thank for the photos. Spring in the Merced River Canyon always has a way of sneaking up on you. Boom hello spring!

It gave me the feeling of time travel when I'd be up in my dark, cold cabin near Curry and the venture forth down
the 140 to find a whole 'nother world out there experiencing the future. Haha it will be spring again! Plants will break dormancy!

Wish I could get out to Hites Cove. Even just going out o the trail for the first 1/4 - 1/2 mile or so, big displays of flowers.
That's always a nice little leg stretcher to break up a drive.
April 05, 2012 12:06PM
Anyone been on the Hite Cove trail? Any updates?
April 10, 2012 10:41AM
Stopped at Hite Cove on the way out of the Valley on Easter. Got a quick look in the fading light. Poppies were a little small and closing up, but they are coming in nicely. Probably peak in the next couple of weeks. Definitely worth a stop if you are passing by.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 10:41AM by yosemitejim.
April 11, 2012 07:16AM
I got a couple of peekchures for you last Saturday along 140
and Hite Cove. Guess you saw for yourself.
Berry nice.

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 11, 2012 09:41AM
I'd like to see your pictures. Especially along 140.
April 11, 2012 05:03PM
I only took a couple.

Here's one from 140 and one from the Hite Cove trail. We did drive a bit west of Briceburg but there wasn't much.
On the way out 120 a lot of yellow color in the foothills.

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 11, 2012 10:10PM
You're the best Chick-on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login