Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Mt. Whitney

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mt. Whitney
March 26, 2012 09:55AM
My father and I won the Mt. Whitney permit lottery!

We hike on Friday, August 31. Flights from Anchorage to Ontario, CA are suprisingly affordable.

As soon as some of this snow melts I can start training! Even though there is a TON of hiking available, I haven't ran across any high elevation hikes yet for acclimation. The mountains right next to Anchorage are only 4-6,000 feet I think. But that makes for some great elevation gain---from about sea level at the trailheads.
Re: Mt. Whitney
March 26, 2012 10:58AM
cant believe I forgot to apply . have fun
March 26, 2012 01:01PM
I don't even bother applying.

I give myself a flexible week, in case I don't get a permit the first day, and just show up at the Visitor Center at 11am. Two years in a row I had no trouble getting a next day permit on the first day I tried.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Read all you can about the mountain and trail. check out Whitney Portal Store Message Board and Mt Whitney Hikers Association and Whitney Zone Orientation Notes for Whitney first timers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 01:08PM by qumqats.
March 26, 2012 02:30PM
Congrats on winning the lottery!

Instead of trying to get lucky with the lottery again, this year I decided to take the "scenic" route from Crescent Meadow via the High Sierra Trail smiling smiley

I'll second the Whitney Portal Store message board recommendation. They have great info about the mountain, trail, and conditions.
March 26, 2012 03:20PM
edg
Instead of trying to get lucky with the lottery again, this year I decided to take the "scenic" route from Crescent Meadow via the High Sierra Trail smiling smiley

That's a wee bit longer. winking smiley
March 27, 2012 08:14PM
Make sure you sleep at altitude several nights before the hike and HYDRATE. You may have no idea how important drinking is in a successful hike to Whitney.
March 27, 2012 08:57PM
The hydrate idea I have down from my marathon experience and understand its importance. The altitude acclimation is tougher. I will only have time for altitude at a couple nights. And unfortunately, even though there is big time elevation gain on hikes in Alaska for the most part they are not high elevation. Thanks for the encouragement.
March 28, 2012 01:06AM
chicagocwright

The hydrate idea I have down from my marathon experience and understand its importance. The altitude acclimation is tougher. I will only have time for altitude at a couple nights.

If you don't mind car camping, there are a couple of nice first-come, first-served walk-in campgrounds (Cottonwood Lakes CG and Cottonwood Pass CG) south of Mt. Whitney off of Horseshoe Meadow Road. The elevation of these two campgrounds are 9,900' and 10,000' respectively. There are about 30 walk-in campsites among these two campgrounds. If you can find a spot in these two first-come, first-served campgrounds, they could be a good place to help you get acclimated to the high elevation before you attempt Whitney.
March 28, 2012 07:09AM
plawrence
chicagocwright

The hydrate idea I have down from my marathon experience and understand its importance. The altitude acclimation is tougher. I will only have time for altitude at a couple nights.

If you don't mind car camping, there are a couple of nice first-come, first-served walk-in campgrounds (Cottonwood Lakes CG and Cottonwood Pass CG) south of Mt. Whitney off of Horseshoe Meadow Road. The elevation of these two campgrounds are 9,900' and 10,000' respectively. There are about 30 walk-in campsites among these two campgrounds. If you can find a spot in these two first-come, first-served campgrounds, they could be a good place to help you get acclimated to the high elevation before you attempt Whitney.

^^ This.

Well, this, and the fact that Horseshoes Meadows is over 10,000 ft and one can just drive up to it and find a plethora of really rewarding day hikes.

Second choice for high alt. acclimatization: Onion Valley, if you can find space, which is outside of (and waaaay above Independence)
March 28, 2012 09:24AM
plawrence
chicagocwright

In addition, the Cottonwood Lakes contain Golden Trout - (California's state fish) - If you lf you like to fish and acclimate at the same time, the lakes are only a few miles from the trailhead - Cottonwood Lakes 1-4 are catch and release - Lakes 5 and 6 are a 5 fish limit - They are pretty fish!
March 28, 2012 10:07AM
Chicago, hydration is even more important hiking Whitney than a marathon. I can't emphasize this enough. When running marathons, I'll usually drink 15-18 ounces of water an hour. Over 4 hours that isn't that much. But Whitney will take you 8 hours+ and drinking 24 ounces an hour will help your performance and your recovery. It's good you're coming from a running background and won't resist drinking.

When I have posted on other Whitney forums that newbies need to drink LOTS of fluids, I am usually scoffed at. But it you want a fast and effective performance, drink lots.smiling smiley
March 28, 2012 01:40PM
Ulysses61
Chicago, hydration is even more important hiking Whitney than a marathon. I can't emphasize this enough. When running marathons, I'll usually drink 15-18 ounces of water an hour. Over 4 hours that isn't that much. But Whitney will take you 8 hours+ and drinking 24 ounces an hour will help your performance and your recovery. It's good you're coming from a running background and won't resist drinking.

When I have posted on other Whitney forums that newbies need to drink LOTS of fluids, I am usually scoffed at. But it you want a fast and effective performance, drink lots.smiling smiley

Great advice. Thanks.

My father has run into a group (in Fresno) that insists water filtration is not necessary for hiking Mt. Whitney. Thoughts? I already have a very nice filter so I can't see any reason not to take it.

I think we are staying at Mammoth. We don't camp since it is so hard to travel with everything and I haven't ever bought stuff (that might change soon!). In your opinion will the acclimation at Mammoth be helpful?
March 28, 2012 02:29PM
chicagocwright
My father has run into a group (in Fresno) that insists water filtration is not necessary for hiking Mt. Whitney. Thoughts?

How many people hike that trail and how many restrooms are there?
March 28, 2012 02:56PM
eeek
chicagocwright
My father has run into a group (in Fresno) that insists water filtration is not necessary for hiking Mt. Whitney. Thoughts?

How many people hike that trail and how many restrooms are there?

umm no restrooms... wink

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 03:11PM by chicagocwright.
March 28, 2012 03:02PM
Well... All solid waste is supposed to be packed out. And liquid waste should be disposed of away from water sources. The liquid waste won't cause any problems if it is not disposed of properly, but the solid waste is a different story.

I filter water that I am SURE is fine. It just isn't that hard.
March 28, 2012 07:50PM
Hitech
Well... All solid waste is supposed to be packed out. And liquid waste should be disposed of away from water sources.

Yeah, and that happens 100% of the time?
April 03, 2012 08:17AM
eeek
Hitech
Well... All solid waste is supposed to be packed out. And liquid waste should be disposed of away from water sources.

Yeah, and that happens 100% of the time?

Nope, I'm sure it does not. I would filter the water. I filter water I am sure of...
March 28, 2012 05:12PM
chicagocwright

My father has run into a group (in Fresno) that insists water filtration is not necessary for hiking Mt. Whitney. Thoughts? I already have a very nice filter so I can't see any reason not to take it.

Rule of thumb: wherever there are day hiking permits necessary filter the water, absolutely, no question, no ifs ands or buts. If the giardia don't get you the e. coli will.

Also, where there are free roaming cattle, or lots of horse packers. IE the JMT, the PCT, and pretty much every major trail in the national parks.
March 28, 2012 06:11PM
chicagocwright

I believe there was a study several years ago where the water at Trail Camp was tested and found to be fine in terms of Giardia--better than most tap water. This was back before the composting toilet was removed, and my experience has been that compliance with the wag bag system has not been universal, so maybe things have gotten worse... I would bring a filter "just in case", but wouldn't hesitate to drink the water untreated if the filter didn't work (on one trip the water was freezing in the filter tubing before it could be treated....)

There is also a reliable source of water past Trail Camp maybe 1/4 mile that should be free of all human and stock impacts.
April 02, 2012 09:18PM
chicagocwright
Ulysses61

Great advice. Thanks.

I think we are staying at Mammoth. We don't camp since it is so hard to travel with everything and I haven't ever bought stuff (that might change soon!). In your opinion will the acclimation at Mammoth be helpful?

While many locals don't filter the water from the running streams I tend to do it. There's been some research showing most of the high Sierra is ok but it's a personal choice.

"God has not called us to be successful but he has called us to be faithful"-Mother Teresa
April 03, 2012 03:21PM
Thats awesome news. Congratulations. I got a pct long distance permit when they opened and I made sure to pay the $15 to get the whitney permit in there as well. I'm shooting for a june 15th date plus or minus 3 days or so. good luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login