Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: When/where do scalpers pop their heads out?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

When/where do scalpers pop their heads out?
March 27, 2012 10:36PM
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and apologize if this questions has been gone over before, but when do scalpers start to put their spots (specifically housekeeping ones) up for sale? And on what websites/by what means?

Thanks for the help!
March 27, 2012 10:43PM
If you are looking to buy scalped sites, you really came to the wrong place to ask. Most users of this forum are strongly opposed to the practice. That being said, with the new changes in the check in procedure, the Park Service hopefully has eliminated the possibility for scalpers to transfer reservations anyway.
avatar Re: When/where do scalpers pop their heads out?
March 27, 2012 11:17PM
I don't have much of a problem with people scalping DNC reservations; DNC is already squeezing every last cent they can out of people anyways with their $500 a night at the Ahwahnee and minimum wage workforce. What bugs the hell out of me and causes me to start flagging is when I see vultures who contribute nothing whatsoever to the park jumping on the public permits and upscaling the price to what the market dictates. If Yosemite wants to charge market price for campsites and permits that would be different, since the money would go into the park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 11:18PM by mbear.
March 28, 2012 06:39AM
DNC? Oh yea, he did mention Housekeeping Camp. Frankly, I had no idea they scalp those too.
March 28, 2012 07:13AM
I have never heard of Housekeeping or any other DNC lodging reservations being scalped.
March 28, 2012 12:16PM
parklover

I have never heard of Housekeeping or any other DNC lodging reservations being scalped.

The DNC reservations aren't scalped, just their guests! moody smiley
March 28, 2012 12:43PM
plawrence
parklover

The DNC reservations aren't scalped, just their guests! moody smiley

I can't agree with you more. I cringe to think how much we are going to spend on our next trip there. I wish Xanterra would take over for they are more reasonably priced, the rooms are in better shape and they treat their guests better.
March 28, 2012 12:47PM
parklover

They are being resold, and it is pretty much legal to do so.

There are tour companies that book entire blocks of rooms to resell. The room is part of it, along with logistics support, tour guides, planned meals, etc. The amount they make on the rooms probably isn't much, but I don't think it's any kind of commission out of DNC's pocket. I remember sitting on the porch at Roosevelt Lodge in Yellowstone, talking to the area warehouse manager. He said his wife was the coordinator for Xanterra group lodging in the area. Apparently a lot of people found themselves there angry about the "quality" of the accommodations. They didn't quite understand that "rustic" meant a wood stove for heat, basic bedding, and old-looking wood floors. I frankly loved the cabins.

There are also some independent websites that say they can help one book lodging at NPS sites. Absolute, total ripoffs. They basically take a cut for being a middleman for a resource that one can get directly from the concessionaire. They don't book ahead of time or get anything that you couldn't already book yourself without paying their commission. At least the tour companies are providing some sort of value. These guys are just giving the impression that booking through them adds value.
March 28, 2012 01:33PM
y_p_w
parklover

There are tour companies that book entire blocks of rooms to resell. The room is part of it, along with logistics support, tour guides, planned meals, etc. The amount they make on the rooms probably isn't much, but I don't think it's any kind of commission out of DNC's pocket. I remember sitting on the porch at Roosevelt Lodge in Yellowstone, talking to the area warehouse manager. He said his wife was the coordinator for Xanterra group lodging in the area. Apparently a lot of people found themselves there angry about the "quality" of the accommodations. They didn't quite understand that "rustic" meant a wood stove for heat, basic bedding, and old-looking wood floors. I frankly loved the cabins.

There are also some independent websites that say they can help one book lodging at NPS sites. Absolute, total ripoffs. They basically take a cut for being a middleman for a resource that one can get directly from the concessionaire. They don't book ahead of time or get anything that you couldn't already book yourself without paying their commission. At least the tour companies are providing some sort of value. These guys are just giving the impression that booking through them adds value.

DNC and the concessionares in other parks have deals with tour companies and even go out of their way to get their business. As for those booking sites, I don't know what arrangements if any they have with parks and I do feel bad when people have to pay an extra fee to them to book a room.

I guess those Yellowstone guests did not look at the pictures and room discriptions that are on the website. Two years ago, we stayed for two nights at a pioneer cabin at Lake Lodge. When I booked the cabin the reservation person kept saying over and over again not to expect much because those cabin were pretty rustic and I said that it was not a problem because we read on their site that the cabins were rustic. When we got there we saw that it was one of the older cabins that needed a coat of paint and we almost died laughing when we got into the room and saw the water heater next to one of the beds. We didn't care because it was well maintained inside, extremely clean and you could not beat the price. I have stayed in a dirtier room at the Ahwahnee with lamps and other things that did not work when we checked in and we had to ask numerous times for them to be fixed. As we were unloading our car another couple opened their cabin door and also started laughing when they saw the water heater. They had just stayed at a four star resort in Jackson and they thought it was hysterical that they went from that to a place with a water heater next to the bed. It worked out well for us and we would stay there again. Those cabins were slated to be remodeled and I wonder what they look like now.

I love the cabins at Zion Lodge and have never had any kind of an issue when there. For much less than Yosemite Lodge you have a nice size room with a separate dressing area, a good size bathroom, porch, heat or AC and my favorite, a fireplace. Last summer, Xanterra cpmpleted the processs of remodeling the cabins and lodge rooms and they really look great. It is not often that you stay in a park where the beds have down comforters, Pendleton blankets and accent pillows and even the drapes are Pendleton wool. I was able to purchase a blanket and pillow and would have loved to have the furniture. I collect Pendleton bankets and really liked the drapes. The manager gave me the name and phone number of the designer that did the cabins and they still had some drape fabric left over and she sold it to me at cost.
March 28, 2012 02:05PM
parklover

I have stayed in a dirtier room at the Ahwahnee with lamps and other things that did not work when we checked in and we had to ask numerous times for them to be fixed.

This is simply what kills me about ever staying again at the Ahwahnee. They charge prices comparable to a Ritz-Carleton and other super-luxury hotels, but the rooms, furnishings – and most importantly – the service, just stinks.
March 28, 2012 02:32PM
I think one of the things is that the cabins are in various states of repair or disrepair. The other thing is that people get these tours as a package and can't fathom that some of the lodging isn't going to even be motel quality.

This is the image that Xanterra puts on their website (I'd like to post the original, but can't get the link to work. This was the same thumbnail from a blog) of a Roosevelt Roughrider cabin:

This is what I remember it looking like inside. The same family has a photo of them trying to light the stove, but I don't feel comfortable posting pictures of people. Personally, I thought it was great. It's what I remember from my youth, when my family would book cheap cabins in Tahoe, Yosemite NP, or Sequoia NP. The rustic nature of the accommodations added to the charm.

I would say that the communal bathrooms were pretty new and weren't quite so "rustic".
March 28, 2012 02:50PM
y_p_w
parklover

The third parties really make their money by having horrible cancellation fees. It's a nice scam if you can make your website look professional and have a good domain name.
March 28, 2012 03:50PM
Thanks for all the input everyone.

But relating back to my original post, how might I go about finding a Housekeeping spot for this summer (tour sites, cancellations, etc.)? Do people cancel often? And if so, how do you check when new spots may open up?
March 28, 2012 05:42PM
I suggest you call the reservation number and ask if they have a waiting list.
March 28, 2012 08:22PM
hotrod4x5
I suggest you call the reservation number and ask if they have a waiting list.

DNC does not have a waiting list, I have asked before. They suggest that you keep calling. Tour companies have to cancel 60 days in advance and some other groups 30 days in advance so you can try at those time periods before you want to go. Also, every one else has to cancel 7 days before they start their stay so you can also try 7 days before you want to go. Otherwise, I have gotten rooms at different time just by being persistant and keep calling. It would be nice for guests if they had an toll free number.
March 28, 2012 11:16PM
andrewkim925
Thanks for all the input everyone.

But relating back to my original post, how might I go about finding a Housekeeping spot for this summer (tour sites, cancellations, etc.)? Do people cancel often? And if so, how do you check when new spots may open up?

Cancellations do occur. Just go to DNC's Yosemite's website: http://www.yosemitepark.com, and keep on checking for the dates your want.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login