Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Route 120 Restaurant Update

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Route 120 Restaurant Update
March 27, 2012 11:44PM
I have some news on dining in Groveland and Buck Meadows.

Having three pizza joints in Groveland was apparently one too many. PJ's is now a Chinese restaurant. I am not a Chinese food expert, but I would give it a "GOOD" rating based on one visit. Before converting their food had gone from "GOOD" to "BAD", so this is definitely an improvement.

The Buck Meadows restaurant is open for the season. I haven't been there yet this year, but it has been good in the past.

The Hotel Charlotte is changing ownership. I believe the restaurant will (or already has) closed briefly for the transition. Call ahead.

The Priest Grade Cafe is also open. They have a sign advertising turkey dinners on weekends. This is a very good place. Highly recommended. I like the burgers and chili.
avatar Re: Route 120 Restaurant Update
March 28, 2012 01:11PM
The Taco truck off 120 in Big Oak Flat (located across from Hwy 120 Towing) is pretty decent. Reasonable prices as well. I wonder how much that truck hurts Cocina Michoacana in Groveland?
March 30, 2012 08:36AM
For those coming from the east, there is the wonderfulness that is Whoa Nellie, but it is undergoing some changes.
March 30, 2012 10:10AM
calipidder
For those coming from the east, there is the wonderfulness that is Whoa Nellie, but it is undergoing some changes.

Oh, no. Hope those changes don't go south.

MAN do they have a generous and delicious steak salad are their bfast burritos great
March 31, 2012 02:53PM
Toomey has helped create a legend. Hope the Legend is strong enough to continue making the Mobil stop one of the highlights in the beginning or end of any back country trip; for me, the ambiance of that crazed place was another way of experiencing the happy humans' spirit and I have always left there feeling optimistic.
I look forward to visiting his place in Mammoth, as well as eating again under the new chef's results. Life just gets better!
Onward
Warren
May 04, 2012 12:43PM
IMO Whoa Nellie is overpriced for what you get. But, just like the price of gas there, they gouge.
April 03, 2012 07:11PM
Whoa Nellie was pretty good, I was surprised that it lived up to the hype. Hope it doesn't go down hill...
May 04, 2012 04:43PM
oakroscoe
Whoa Nellie was pretty good, I was surprised that it lived up to the hype. Hope it doesn't go down hill...

I hope that the Whoa Nellie can weather the change. Although it is not the same situation, we had a favorite restaurant in Springdale that we always went to when we went to Zion. The chef/owner decided to start a restaurant in St. George that was to open a few months after we last ate in the Springdale restaurant. Even then, you could tell that things were not the same and I don't know how he is going to run both places. I wonder how long he will keep the Springdale place opened because there are some very slow times of the year when there are not many visitors to Zion.
May 04, 2012 02:40PM
I'm in the Whoa Nellie almost every day in the summer and haven't seen Toomey actually cooking there for at least 2 years (maybe he's there in the evenings).
May 04, 2012 02:47PM
And Hotrod, I couldn't agree with you more. They charge $9 for a piece of chocolate cake and even more for a sliver of cheese cake. Their potato salad is pretty good but that's about it, IMO.
May 04, 2012 03:14PM
The wife and I love Buck Meadows. You can check it out at the link below.

Buck Meadows

Laudizen
May 04, 2012 04:54PM
All this is making me hungry! Even though I usually bring my own food.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login