Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mist trail or Upper Yosemite falls trail this weekend

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Mist trail or Upper Yosemite falls trail this weekend
March 28, 2012 06:16PM
I will be going to Yosemite this weekend, staying until tue/wed. It will be my first winter trip. I would like to hike mist trail or upper yosemite falls trail. Are either of them going to be possible to reach the top? Which would be more enjoyable or "successful" if the top o the falls is unreachable.I know the mist trail is not as safe, and yosemite falls trail gets more sun so im leaning toward it. No ski/climbing/snow shoe equipment here, just some good boots.

Here are my plans so far, any other good ideas for day hikes other than: Artist/Inspiration point, 13 mile loop trail, mirror lake tenaya canyon, Mariposa grove, LYF, Vernal footbridge, happy isles, cooks meadow. We want to stay in the valley and know hiking is limited. Again no show shoes or anything special, just good hiking boots. Any recommendations or advice will be appreciated/used.
Re: Mist trail or Upper Yosemite falls trail this weekend
March 28, 2012 06:50PM
Well, the Mist Trail is closed for the winter. You can bypass it via the John Muir Trail, unless its icy section near the top of Nevada Falls gets too much falling ice and they close it for a while. Expect to get dripped on.

The Four Mile Trail is closed at Union Point. Otherwise, your list looks pretty good. The weather is supposed to be bad on Saturday, so plan on hiking in the valley that day. Take rain gear. When it clears up by Sunday, your best bets will be the Yosemite Falls Trail and the Snow Creek Trail, which are both usually open.

On either of those, with ordinary hiking boots, you should be OK. But if you get into refrozen snow covered with ice, just turn around. It happens. But probably not this late in the winter, or at least not until you get above the valley rim. A bit of soggy snow on the trail won't bother you....there will be plenty of tracks.
avatar Re: Mist trail or Upper Yosemite falls trail this weekend
March 28, 2012 11:20PM
Just a note to everybody, the calendar says it's spring now. wink
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login