Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Distance from Happy Isles to Tuolumne

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Distance from Happy Isles to Tuolumne
April 05, 2012 11:53AM
I need your guys help - I am trying to gauge the distance on the JMT Yosemite section - I have seen 2 signs that I think are on the Valley Floor at Happy Isles - One shows the distance at 17.0 miles - Another at 27.3 miles - All I can think of is that the mileage assumes different trails but a 10 mile variance just seems too high

If I were to hike the JMT from the Valley Floor to Tuolumne - How many miles is it?
avatar Re: Distance from Happy Isles to Tuolumne
April 05, 2012 01:47PM
The most direct trail route is going to be approximately 20 miles if you come out at Toulumne Meadows by way of the Cathedral Lakes trail. That's using the Mist Trail to the top of Nevada Fall and then the John Muir Trail thereafter. My mileage computation is from using the Nat'l Geo Trails Illustrated Maps which list mileage between every trail intersection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 01:52PM by tomdisco.
April 05, 2012 02:05PM
SoCalCPA
If I were to hike the JMT from the Valley Floor to Tuolumne - How many miles is it?

I think the difference depends on what part of Tuolumne Meadows you're measuring to: the Cathedral Lakes TH, the visitor center, the gas station/post office/store, the two wilderness parking lots, or the TM Lodge

I do remember the signs varying widely, but I think it was 24 miles from Happy Isles to the gas station via Cathedral Pass, which was our first day's segment.
April 05, 2012 07:06PM
I looked at my signs...

The 27.3 sign is the "High Sierra Loop Trail" right at Happy Isles that
also reads "Mt. Whitney via John Muir Trail - 211.0"
The 17.0 sign is a sign at the top of Nevada Falls (at the comfort station) that
also reads "Mt. Whitney 215"

I'd just go with the 24 basil said.

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 13, 2012 07:59AM
An additional somewhat humorous note w/r to the signs.
Sign at JMT/Mist trail Junction (Nevada Falls Pooper Building) 17.0
Sign at JMT/Half Dome Trail Jct. .... 18.0

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 05, 2012 08:30PM
From Cathedral Lakes to the Happy Isles trailhead (where you get the bus) is exactly 20.9 miles. I have measured it many times on day hikes with my Garmin watch. If you walk to Curry Village it's another .6 miles on the road.
April 05, 2012 08:31PM
I meant from the Cathedral Lakes TRAILHEAD...which I accidentally omitted in my prior post. smiling smiley
April 07, 2012 08:52AM
Thanks guys - I'm contemplating hiking the JMT in sections over the next 3-4 years
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login