Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Sierra Point

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 09, 2012 02:50PM
Wanted to go to Sierra Point ever since I zoomed in on people there on 17 Gigapixel Yosemite. I looked up and saw the rail from the Mist Trail last year. Made it up there on Saturday.
April 09, 2012 03:05PM
Love it...the park sure looks pretty!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
April 09, 2012 06:26PM
Jayabrams

Love it...the park sure looks pretty!

Nice photo!
April 10, 2012 09:57AM
Thanks for the help with the picture. I'm not sure what I did wrong. ???

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
April 10, 2012 12:47PM
If you're going to link an image to this forum using the image /img/ tag , then the URL that you use needs to be a direct link to the image. In other words, at the very end of the URL, you should see a name of an image file (a filename that ends with a image format extension like .jpg, jpeg, .png, .tiff, .gif). If you don't see an image filename at the end of your URL link, then your link won't work.

Based on the link that you did provide, I was able to end up on the Picasa web page that had the image I presumed that you tried to provide the link to. I right-clicked on the image and selected 'Copy Image URL' to get the direct link to the actual image file. I was using Google's Chrome browser, though this right-click technique will also work with the Firefox and the Safari browsers too. If you use Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser, you'll need to get the image's URL in a slightly different way, though.
April 10, 2012 01:18PM
Let's try another pic to see if I can get it right!

Before leading a group of scouts on a back country trip, we had time for one short hike in the valley. This was it. More than half the kids in the group had never been to the valley before. Crazy!

April 10, 2012 01:32PM
I absolutely love that the trail is unmarked. I have been going to this spot since 1980, when my Dad brought me there for the first time. The picture that plawrence helped me post is a recreation of a picture I have with my dad from when I was the same age as my son (30 something years ago). Although I had to use a self timer with the camera balanced on a rock, I framed it really close to the original. It's really cool. Even the lichen patterns on the rocks are the same.

Anyway, now that I know how, here's a few more from Sierra Point!

This one is better than the other one I posted.

April 09, 2012 03:58PM
nice little hike, i didnt find the trail my first trip up and had to crawl up a talus field
April 09, 2012 04:10PM
ryanmj
nice little hike, i didnt find the trail my first trip up and had to crawl up a talus field

That happened to me too.
April 09, 2012 05:03PM
I started a little past the rock pile sign and found a faint trail. After awhile I came upon a cable and metal posts laying on the ground. Right above that it is very steep with very loose dirt. Cairns led to the left instead. On the way back the trail led me back to the rock pile. Came down the rock pile for the last few hundred feet. Cool to see portions of the original trial that still remain.
April 09, 2012 04:08PM
Shame they couldn't rebuild that trail, it such a cool viewpoint for as close as it is to Happy Isles.
April 10, 2012 09:47AM
I thought that they should rebuild the trail, until I saw how small the viewing area is. Then I pictured the Mist Trail throngs piling up at the little rail to get a look. Perhaps it is best the way it is.
April 10, 2012 02:21PM
yosemitejim
I thought that they should rebuild the trail, until I saw how small the viewing area is. Then I pictured the Mist Trail throngs piling up at the little rail to get a look. Perhaps it is best the way it is.

On second though, you're totally right. That would not be a pretty scene with all those people clamoring for photo ops against that tiny raining.
April 10, 2012 11:05PM
Is the NPS even allowed to rebuild trails, or make new ones. With the talks of banning the horse trails, removing the Half Dome cables, etc... What are they allowed and not allowed to do?
April 10, 2012 11:44PM
Yes, the Park Service is allowed to rebuild trails.

They had just finished rebuilding and rerouting portions of a good number of trails in Yosemite this past summer as part of the $13.5 million six-year project funded in part by the Yosemite Conversancy:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/yctrails.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 11:45PM by plawrence.
April 12, 2012 02:22PM
Mist Trail from Sierra Point
April 14, 2012 07:02PM
yosemitejim
Mist Trail from Sierra Point
Wow, looks pretty dry! This time of year the whole upper trail should be wet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 07:03PM by hotrod4x5.
April 16, 2012 11:28AM
Yeah. It's the Mist-less trail.
May 04, 2012 04:58PM
I guess it's buiilding new ones is the issue. Like the half dome cables are allowed to be there because it was there since the "beginning."
May 05, 2012 01:42PM
jackolive
I guess it's buiilding new ones is the issue. Like the half dome cables are allowed to be there because it was there since the "beginning."

I don't think it necessarily is a question if they are allowed to or not, but if they want to or not. You don't need a trail to every spot in the park. There should be places that take some skill and adventure to get to and have some opportunity for solitude.

And then of course there is that whole money thing too.
May 05, 2012 10:51PM
Just a reminder of one distinction, the Mist Trail is NOT a trail within the official Yosemite Wilderness. It lies outside of the area designated as wilderness.
June 11, 2012 08:59PM
A couple of photos from Sierra Point on Wednesday"

Looking down at the trail to Vernal Falls Bridge:

Looking over at Illilouette Falls. At this time of day, the falls are not very striking.
June 11, 2012 09:14PM
Just out of curiosity, how clean were some of those stone steps after the second rockfall? Are they muddy and/or covered with leaves again?
June 11, 2012 09:35PM
I suppose I'll share a few Sierra Point photos also. We were fortunate that the water was going, close to peak for 2012.

We did take some time to clean off the steps, which are covered in this photo

Mary Lou Ette:

The Merced Siblings:

"Hey down there...could you give us a hand with this?"

Some perspective of North Rim, and what looks like the ND Gully route.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2012 09:37PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login