Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Clouds Rest - having fun in Fantasia - no gun required

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Clouds Rest - having fun in Fantasia - no gun required
April 11, 2012 10:54AM
Enjoy

Two stills:

and me, u hum, I mean, bill-e out there

We also got attacked by a rabid dog on this trip. Lucky to be alive and tell the tall tale.

Have a nice day

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: Clouds Rest - having fun in Fantasia - no gun required
April 11, 2012 11:13AM
Nice video and photos. Was it windy up on the summit of Cloud Rest?

Also was it a dog off leash or a coyote that you encountered?
April 11, 2012 05:06PM
plawrence
Nice video and photos. Was it windy up on the summit of Cloud Rest?

Also was it a dog off leash or a coyote that you encountered?

Actually where the wifie is sitting there was no wind. At that point we both were
kind of irritated we didn't take our packs up the last bit and eat lunch there instead
of just below the summit in the wind.

Looks like a rabid dog from my vantage pt. (I'm in my sleepy bag)

Re: Clouds Rest - having fun in Fantasia - no gun required
April 11, 2012 11:17AM
Very brave of you. It was a "challenge" finding reliable footing along that ridge in the summer time. I can only imagine what it's like when the ridge is covered with snow...

Which was more rewarding or breathtaking for you? CR in the dry or in the snow?
April 11, 2012 05:09PM
It's a push. Snow or no it's a beautiful place and view.

April 11, 2012 11:32AM
nice, chick, i'll be up there with my son mid-june. what's the flat-top peak to the left of tenaya lake?
April 11, 2012 05:13PM
mtc
nice, chick, i'll be up there with my son mid-june. what's the flat-top peak to the left of tenaya lake?
That's Tuolumne Peak

btw... thought of you up there on Sunday night:

Slept here:

which is a minute walk to here:

Hope you are able to follow your dreams...

April 13, 2012 07:12AM
which is a minute walk to here:

Hope you are able to follow your dreams...[/quote]

Seriously, I think my heart just quit beating for a moment. Stunning photo. Thanks for making my day!!
April 11, 2012 11:44AM
That second photo is amazing; first one is merely awesome.
April 11, 2012 12:12PM
I assumed the earlier picture of Olmsted Point had to be from Clouds Rest. Very nice.

Do you (or anyone) go across the entire knife edge ridge to Clouds Rest from Tenaya Lake in these conditions?
April 11, 2012 05:25PM
chicagocwright
I assumed the earlier picture of Olmsted Point had to be from Clouds Rest. Very nice.

Do you (or anyone) go across the entire knife edge ridge to Clouds Rest from Tenaya Lake in these conditions?
I've done the entire traverse in similar conditions in the past. Of course YMMV and you should only do what you
are comfortable with ... but there are ledges on the east side that can be used and are typically free of snow
that make the traverse not as dangerous as you would think.
We carried our full packs all the way up and then decided to not do the traverse mainly b/c ... then what?
It was only maybe 1pm by then and she didn't really want to trek to Sunrise Lake and The Forsyth Trail
I've done in full snow before and ... well... I kinda wanted to check out the ridgeline south of Clouds and
then sleep atop 1/4 domes and then go back up The Merced the next day to Bunnell...
Anyway, that's the story. I have pictures and I may have shown them before of Clouds in similar snow conditions
on both sides. If you'd like to see those just holler.
On the first day we set up shop near CR/JMT junction and I went in search of the elusive HD Spring Pipe
(found it) and then ... headed up to HD. I'm amazed at the number of people going up there with
the cables down and no protection. Yes, you can do it... but, IMO, someone is gonna die. I went
about 3/4 up the subdome and then just said... it's 6pm... been here, done that... good enough.
Had left my spikies at camp and left the prusick in the car... and the nice guy I talked to
said the cable itself was buried in ice. Some kids were up there with their guitar and in crappy tennis shoes.
No one I talked to made it all the way up the cables.

April 12, 2012 08:42AM
chick-on
chicagocwright

I've done the entire traverse in similar conditions in the past. Of course YMMV and you should only do what you
are comfortable with ... but there are ledges on the east side that can be used and are typically free of snow
that make the traverse not as dangerous as you would think.
We carried our full packs all the way up and then decided to not do the traverse mainly b/c ... then what?
It was only maybe 1pm by then and she didn't really want to trek to Sunrise Lake and The Forsyth Trail
I've done in full snow before and ... well... I kinda wanted to check out the ridgeline south of Clouds and
then sleep atop 1/4 domes and then go back up The Merced the next day to Bunnell...
Anyway, that's the story. I have pictures and I may have shown them before of Clouds in similar snow conditions
on both sides. If you'd like to see those just holler.
On the first day we set up shop near CR/JMT junction and I went in search of the elusive HD Spring Pipe
(found it) and then ... headed up to HD. I'm amazed at the number of people going up there with
the cables down and no protection. Yes, you can do it... but, IMO, someone is gonna die. I went
about 3/4 up the subdome and then just said... it's 6pm... been here, done that... good enough.
Had left my spikies at camp and left the prusick in the car... and the nice guy I talked to
said the cable itself was buried in ice. Some kids were up there with their guitar and in crappy tennis shoes.
No one I talked to made it all the way up the cables.

Super cool. With the new Half Dome permit system, my next trip might be with the cables down. I'll set up a harness system. Or if my leader is still willing, I'll just go up Snake Dike. I had that lined up for this summer and had to cancel because of my move.
April 11, 2012 12:07PM
chick-on

Stunning. Seriously, I would love to be in that spot right now.
April 11, 2012 12:39PM
Balls out to trust the snow on ridges like that!
April 11, 2012 01:30PM
tanngrisnir3
Balls out to trust the snow on ridges like that!

word; the madness, brings gladness
April 11, 2012 05:15PM
Rabid dog or no..it don't get much better! Thanks for sharing!
April 11, 2012 05:28PM
Bearpoof,
u welcome. Found the spring pipe. There wasn't a drop of water flowing from the pipe itself.
After I download the tracks I'll post my waypoint in that thread and compare to yours.
Tanks

April 11, 2012 05:42PM
ahh I forgot to ask about that....glad you found it!
April 12, 2012 08:40AM
Beautiliscious!
April 12, 2012 01:56PM
When I didn't see any chick-on posts for awhile, I new an awesome adventure was in progress. Chick-on doesn't even worry about when 120 is opening.
April 13, 2012 01:34PM
I am SO envious. CR is on my list of things I must do. After seeing your pictures I am just that much more determined...

Absolutely spectacular!
April 16, 2012 07:25AM
Here's two more from Clouds and Quarter. Pissed at my Archos video player that
ended up doubling as my second camera since I only brought one battery
and after 570 pictures it died on day 4. And then when taking a picture of Half Dome
with the Archos the thing hung and I can't cajole it to gimme my faux toes!
Wife said "don't let it bother you... you'll be back... and you got pictures of everything anyway".
but but but... the sun was better ... crying

Wife in both photos to give some perspective:

April 16, 2012 03:17PM
chick-on
Here's two more from Clouds and Quarter. Pissed at my Archos video player that
ended up doubling as my second camera since I only brought one battery
and after 570 pictures it died on day 4. And then when taking a picture of Half Dome
with the Archos the thing hung and I can't cajole it to gimme my faux toes!
Wife said "don't let it bother you... you'll be back... and you got pictures of everything anyway".
but but but... the sun was better ... crying

Yeah, that sucks when it happens. Last year, I was using my iPod Touch for some short videos while day hiking. And then for about 2 hours, it decided that it won't do videos but just photos. But afterwards, it started doing videos again. Talk about a temperamental piece of equipment.

By any chance, did you wife also have a camera, or are you the only designated photographer when you backpack together?
April 16, 2012 05:41PM
plawrence
By any chance, did you wife also have a camera, or are you the only designated photographer when you backpack together?
No. She has no desire. Heck, most times she has no desire for "photography... snap snap wink wink... say no more".
tongue sticking out smiley
She did take that photo above of Billy atop Clouds Rest though.

Was actually going to take my super zoom camera but I forgot that back at the Chick-on Ranch.
O well... it's my own demise... I take too many photos...
Did want to post the "match made in heaven" photo of breakfast of 1/2 HoHo 1/2 Twinkie in the "proposal thread"...
but alas... it is stuck on the Archos... crying

April 16, 2012 09:01PM
great photos
April 17, 2012 07:12AM
Ok, one more...

April 17, 2012 02:07PM
April 17, 2012 02:26PM
I guess this is probably a stupid question, but I assume you start from the valley to get there?
April 17, 2012 05:48PM
hotrod4x5
I guess this is probably a stupid question, but I assume you start from the valley to get there?

We went up the Mist, as in this photo from the same trip:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,52683,52887#msg-52887

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login