Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Porters in Yosemite Valley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Porters in Yosemite Valley
April 12, 2012 12:52PM
The pack that I carry all of my photographic gear in weights close to 40 pounds. Although I can carry it, is there a porter service in the valley to lug stuff around? I would only require them for the bigger climbs (upper Yosemite, Panorama and North Dome), three days at most. I will have car and drive simi-close to the trail heads.

Thanks.
April 12, 2012 01:06PM
Ataim
The pack that I carry all of my photographic gear in weights close to 40 pounds. Although I can carry it, is there a porter service in the valley to lug stuff around? I would only require them for the bigger climbs (upper Yosemite, Panorama and North Dome), three days at most. I will have car and drive simi-close to the trail heads.

Thanks.

Wow, if I had the time I would do it. Good question though. Maybe you will find a taker here.
avatar Re: Porters in Yosemite Valley
April 12, 2012 01:24PM
Ataim

Thanks.

Don't know about any official porter services offered around Yosemite, but you might want to consider renting a llama from a llama packer. Llama

April 12, 2012 01:43PM
Going rate to carry a pack in the park?...depends on how far...but in the back country we charged $200 round trip( apprx.10 to 18 miles total) You can find staff that wanna make extra dough on their days off to do it if you set it up in advance...and are willing to pay for it.
April 12, 2012 02:05PM
I should have added, all the trips will be day trips. I'm staying in Curry Village and would have an extra bed for the nights that we would be leaving early or get in late. Heck for 200 bucks I'll carry yourssmiling smiley

High Sierra 1, I sent you a PM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 02:06PM by Ataim.
April 16, 2012 09:11AM
Strange, it says I have a message but there is nothing there???
April 12, 2012 03:00PM
Ataim

Thanks.

Three words for you: micro four thirds.
April 12, 2012 03:20PM
What do you shoot that weighs that much? I'm a shooter too and hell, I have never weighed my pack, but I don't think it's that heavy, at least I hope not! I take one body and 3 or 4 lenses, extra batteries, CF cards, filters, water, food.
April 12, 2012 04:17PM
hotrod4x5
What do you shoot that weighs that much? I'm a shooter too and hell, I have never weighed my pack, but I don't think it's that heavy, at least I hope not! I take one body and 3 or 4 lenses, extra batteries, CF cards, filters, water, food.

Never weighed mine but with the tripod...

April 12, 2012 04:36PM
One can have a relatively lightweight large format kit set up for trail hiking. The format that tends to be the heaviest seems to be medium format system cameras, especially those now that have digital backs.

Of course in even the normal sized Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras can get weighed down if one insists on bringing along their 600mm f/4 telephoto lens with them. wink

April 13, 2012 06:09AM
eeek
hotrod4x5

Eeek,

Nice stuff there. Yours looks like a Cambo, if so I alos have one of thoose as a backup. But I usally carry a Wista M450 it only weight 2 lbs more than the cambo. Including three lens, all Schneider, 90mm, 180mm, a 300mm and sometimes a convertable 300/500, 5 film holders, extra film, changing bag, filters, carbon fiber tripod with ball mount. Then add my Nikon D200 with only one lens, and the Nikonos smiling smiley then add the backpack itself and other stuff it gets pretty heavy. That does not include water, snacks, CHAIR, possible rain gear, My 8x10 is a green monsten or an Agfa/Ansco wood. I would not hike with the 8x10, I also have a wooden 4x5, but the bellows or bed do not expand enough.

April 13, 2012 07:26AM
Wow. Add the pack of 40 pounds and you must be close to like 200. I aint a carrying dat for you!

Ataim
The pack that I carry all of my photographic gear in weights close to 40 pounds.

Suggestion: Find a lighter pack.

tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 14, 2012 07:18AM
eeek
hotrod4x5

Holy crap, you take a monorail out in the field?!? When I was shooting 4x5, I had a really (well, I still have) wooden field camera. Nice and lightweight, folds to almost nothing. Easily carried that, two lenses and a 35 body with 3 lenses in my backpack.
April 14, 2012 12:21PM
hotrod4x5
Holy crap, you take a monorail out in the field?!?

It's a bit of a mess to stuff in a pack. But other than that it's not too bad.
April 15, 2012 06:19PM
Ataim

Thanks.

My wife is my porter....Oh man, I hope she never sees this post...
April 15, 2012 06:54PM
Truthfully, when I first saw the subject line I thought we were going to be asked to choose sides beween Anchor, Black Butte, and Sierra Nevada Porters, much like the pizza deck/loft side-choosing.
April 15, 2012 07:13PM
ttilley
Truthfully, when I first saw the subject line I thought we were going to be asked to choose sides beween Anchor, Black Butte, and Sierra Nevada Porters, much like the pizza deck/loft side-choosing.

Gotta go with Black Butte there; if they served it at the pizza deck, it would kill 2 birds with one stone.
April 15, 2012 07:57PM
mbear
it would kill 2 birds with one stone.

But what is the only thing that will kill a vindaloo?
April 15, 2012 09:51PM
mbear
ttilley

Gotta go with Black Butte there; if they served it at the pizza deck, it would kill 2 birds with one stone.

Actually, this is the porter I would recommend (if you find it wink)

April 15, 2012 10:15PM
plawrence

Actually, this is the porter I would recommend (if you find it wink)

Better than Stone's smoked porter? If we include stouts I gotta go with Rogue's Chocolate and Shakespeare stouts as my #1 and #2. California may have the best IPAs, but I gotta give Oregon props for the best stouts+porters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2012 10:17PM by mbear.
April 16, 2012 05:25AM
Did you check with the Ansel Adams gallery?! Ansel himself hauled up glass plates to the Diving Board and that for sure is a more demanding hike than the ones you've mentioned. winking smiley

Maybe they have some advise for you as they do workshops etc. on regular basis.
April 16, 2012 05:39AM
Half Dome Hiker
Did you check with the Ansel Adams gallery?! Ansel himself hauled up glass plates to the Diving Board and that for sure is a more demanding hike than the ones you've mentioned. winking smiley

Maybe they have some advise for you as they do workshops etc. on regular basis.
Ansel had a trusty burro named Mistletoe that hauled his gear.
April 17, 2012 12:40AM
I didn't see it on the famous old film footage of his little Diving Board exploration though. winking smiley
April 17, 2012 06:35AM
Half Dome Hiker
I didn't see it on the famous old film footage of his little Diving Board exploration though. winking smiley
Have a link? Love to see that. Maybe I have, I have seen a couple movies, and even own a DVD on him.

I found it. Very cool. I wonder if maybe the burro was tied up below, or because he had so many friends, he didn't need it. I can't seem to see the tripod in the climbing shots on anyone's back. http://www.sfmoma.org/explore/multimedia/videos/114

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2012 06:39AM by hotrod4x5.
April 19, 2012 08:37AM
hotrod4x5
Half Dome Hiker
I can't seem to see the tripod in the climbing shots on anyone's back. http://www.sfmoma.org/explore/multimedia/videos/114

I assume that this tripod was used to make this movie. smiling smiley
April 19, 2012 12:55PM
If you find any takers haha, I might have a job for them too in August if the sound of "Taboose Pass" is music in their ears. winking smiley

A few years ago my photo gear base weight was 28 pounds that is detailed here:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Backpacking/david_backpacking.html

However I often toss extra clothing, food, and gear in the big daypack so my actual carrying weight may be over 35 pounds. Like my dayhiking gear weight is like most folks backpacking poundage. Last weekend I hiked from Railroad Flat 2.7 miles down the Merced River trail then a mile up the North Fork of the Merced Trail. So a 7.5 mile roundtrip. I was carrying not only my big Gitzo 4x5 tripod, but also a Benbo Trekker for closeup work. So was close to 40 pounds. Of course, I'm one of just a few serious photographers that regularly haul the beast into the backcountry often crosscountry. Would often have carrying weights over 70 pounds, however recently have gone all out buying lightest gear so today that is more like 65.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2012 12:57PM by DavidSenesac.
April 20, 2012 04:22PM
DavidSenesac
If you find any takers haha, I might have a job for them too in August if the sound of "Taboose Pass" is music in their ears. winking smiley

And do you plan a second set to haul out the bodies? winking smiley
April 20, 2012 04:44PM
DavidSenesac

A few years ago my photo gear base weight was 28 pounds that is detailed here:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Backpacking/david_backpacking.html

However I often toss extra clothing, food, and gear in the big daypack so my actual carrying weight may be over 35 pounds. Like my dayhiking gear weight is like most folks backpacking poundage. Last weekend I hiked from Railroad Flat 2.7 miles down the Merced River trail then a mile up the North Fork of the Merced Trail. So a 7.5 mile roundtrip. I was carrying not only my big Gitzo 4x5 tripod, but also a Benbo Trekker for closeup work. So was close to 40 pounds. Of course, I'm one of just a few serious photographers that regularly haul the beast into the backcountry often crosscountry. Would often have carrying weights over 70 pounds, however recently have gone all out buying lightest gear so today that is more like 65.

That first shot looks like you were standing in Cottonwood Canyon off the 166.
April 20, 2012 08:03PM
tanngrisnir3
That first shot looks like you were standing in Cottonwood Canyon off the 166.

Very good, I'm impressed !!!

Seven years ago in 2005 when fewer people knew about it. Was a weekday and I think just a couple cars drove by the whole morning. The creek was flowing across the road in the hollow pretty good and I recall taking a refreshing dip at one point right there. 2005 was the most impressive bloom there last decade. Thistle sage were going nuts. Was a particularly fine mix of different species with different colors. This is the nicest sheet of film I managed that day:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/images/print_05-h4-1.html

During the spring of 2005 I wasn't working so was on continuous photo road trips to the Southland. 2008 was also rather good at Cottonwood and I have two more4x5 images in Gallery B that you might be able to pick out also:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/gallery_b.html

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2012 08:06PM by DavidSenesac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login