Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Anything worth seeing between Briceburg and the 120?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Anything worth seeing between Briceburg and the 120?
April 13, 2012 03:46PM
Heading up that way this weekend, and I never even knew you could get off the 140 at Briceburg (always just drove past w/out looking) and now, having mapped it, I see there are all sorts of Forest Service/fire roads back there.

Bull Creek Road, Ponderosa Way and the Briceburg Road all seem to go all the way through.

I assuming it's mostly just heavy forest, but one never knows.

Thanks!
April 13, 2012 11:57PM
Years ago, the nickname for the road from Briceburg north was, "Burma Road" in reference to the difficult road of WW II. You might ask the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office about that road.
April 14, 2012 07:12AM
Dearborn
Years ago, the nickname for the road from Briceburg north was, "Burma Road" in reference to the difficult road of WW II. You might ask the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office about that road.
So it's 4x4 only?
avatar Re: Anything worth seeing between Briceburg and the 120?
April 14, 2012 08:05AM
A few years ago I was standing in the river below the "Burma Grade." I was doing a benthic macroinvertebrate survey with several others and one of the Forrest Service rangers. His back was to the grade and was telling us that the road is 4wd only. While he was telling us this I was watching a minivan going up the road without a problem.

The road suffered a few washouts after the Telegraph Hill Fire, and may have had a few more since then. It's always best to check with someone before you go up that road. You could park, walk across the bridge and up a few switchbacks. Lots of wildflowers there.

That's not the only road though. You can drive across the bridge and down river on Bull Creek Road. It ends at the campgrounds. Should be lots of wildflowers. You can also hike past the end of the road.

Walking on the old railroad bed up river will also get you to lots of wildflowers and a few good picnic sites.
avatar Re: Anything worth seeing between Briceburg and the 120?
April 14, 2012 09:06AM
There wasn't last weekend... mentioned here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,52229,52840#msg-52840

Maybe ... maybe I'd hike the old roadbed if I got sick of the snow... but IMHO
the whole thang just wasn't worth the time spent. If the river is roaring, I'd say yes.
But it isn't yet. And there weren't much of any flowers there at this time yet.
Full disclosure... we drove to the first campground... flush with dogs and typical
campground accoutrements and we both said we'd seen enough... let's get to
the granite baby. (Ok, we did go up Hite Cove a bit... but even then after the
first set of flowers... and another bit of a trek and nothing... said.. well... if
we want to see this we want go to Coe... so let's get to the granite!)
tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login