Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Road Plowing Updates for 2012

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tioga Road Plowing Updates for 2012
April 20, 2012 01:09PM
Tioga Road: Plows have reached Yosemite Creek and are seeing below-average snow amounts. Snow depths are up to three to five feet. Despite the below-average snowpack, full avalanche precautions are still in place.

avatar Re: Tioga Road Plowing Updates for 2012
April 20, 2012 09:56PM
April 23, 2012 08:41PM
Looks like they have reached Olmsted Pt. Do they plow from both directions, and meet at that point, meaning that they have finished with the plowing and just have to check for avalanche risks? Also, does anyone know how long it usually takes them to do the avalanche check?
April 23, 2012 08:51PM
CalTrans plows from the Tioga side, or they have in years past. They haven't this year.

It's not an avalanche "check" but a waiting for the avalanche possibility to melt away. It seems they don't want any snow on the granite above Olmstead.
April 23, 2012 09:06PM
I took this picture today. I knew 120 was closed but wanted it to see myself. smiling smiley

Lots of Caltrans plowing activities in the Mammoth Lakes area today. Devil's Postpile is still closed though.
April 23, 2012 08:57PM
EDIT: Ooops... answered above

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 08:58PM by mbear.
avatar Tioga Road Plowing Update for April 23, 2012
April 23, 2012 11:10PM
Plows have reached Olmsted Point and crews will assess the avalanche zone tomorrow. Despite the below-average snowpack, full avalanche precautions are still in place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login