Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: confused smileyCampground Max. Person Limit North Pines

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

confused smileyCampground Max. Person Limit North Pines
April 27, 2012 10:43AM
Does anyone know what happens if you exceed the campground limit? I thought it was 8 persons and just looked at reservation again and see that 6 is the max. What will happen when we show up with 8 people? We are at North Pines next week. Thanks!
avatar Re: confused smileyCampground Max. Person Limit North Pines
April 27, 2012 10:48AM
Don't sweat it too much. I've seen groups of 20+ in ONE site. Just be kind to your neighboors and you'll be alright.Smiling dogpile
April 27, 2012 11:00AM
boomtown

Don't sweat it too much. I've seen groups of 20+ in ONE site. Just be kind to your neighboors and you'll be alright.Smiling dogpile

Bingo!

Just don't do anything stupid or act like clowns. Things that could cause a campground host or a park ranger to show up at your campsite.

April 27, 2012 02:44PM
plawrence
boomtown

Bingo!

Just don't do anything stupid or act like clowns. Things that could cause a campground host or a park ranger to show up at your campsite.

Ditto.
April 27, 2012 02:46PM
mtn man
plawrence
boomtown

Bingo!

Ditto.

I'm sure those other two people are just visitors to your campsite and they are staying at the lodge......
April 27, 2012 05:44PM
I'd probably have them walk in, just to be safe. It really depends on the guy at the kiosk.
April 27, 2012 06:00PM
Or just drop them off at Curry Village where they could be enjoying a delicious pizza from the Curry Pizza Deck while the rest of the crew sets up the campsite. wink
April 27, 2012 06:28PM
plawrence
Or just drop them off at Curry Village where they could be enjoying a delicious pizza from the Curry Pizza Deck while the rest of the crew sets up the campsite. wink

Bowing to his greatness
April 27, 2012 03:03PM
"Does anyone know what happens if you exceed the campground limit?...What will happen when we show up with 8 people?"

They tar and feather you, and then make you run the gauntlet thru the other campers in North Pines who are all lined up, booing you! Head roll

Actually, what all the others said above. grinning smiley
April 27, 2012 03:39PM
I just got a call back finally from a ranger and she told me they count you coming in and strictly enforce the limit of 6. I think she was just trying to discourage us from trying...she was being kind of an anal b#&%+ about it, and giving me a lecture. It makes no sense since you can easily walk in and out without going through ranger kiosk. Hope you are all right and we have no problems! Worse case scenario we can drop 2 off outside the campground and have them walk in. Thanks everyone!
April 27, 2012 05:07PM
lainey
I just got a call back finally from a ranger and she told me they count you coming in and strictly enforce the limit of 6. I think she was just trying to discourage us from trying...she was being kind of an anal b#&%+ about it, and giving me a lecture. It makes no sense since you can easily walk in and out without going through ranger kiosk. Hope you are all right and we have no problems! Worse case scenario we can drop 2 off outside the campground and have them walk in. Thanks everyone!

It is much easier to get forgiveness that it is to get permission.

Old Dude
April 28, 2012 09:56AM
If the campsites around you don't have 6 people staying in them you could always try asking the people if you could put one of your tents on their site. Once when we only had 4 people we let someone from the site next to us that had too many people put up a tent on ours. As long as you are not a rowdy group, someone will be willing to help you out.
April 28, 2012 10:23AM
As everyone else said, making friends with your neighbors is key. A few ice cold beers and a burger go a long way.
May 03, 2012 10:09PM
What if you have 3 cars? Will they definitely enforce this rule?
May 03, 2012 10:11PM
cantwait2getback

Yes. Park one in the Camp Curry lot or look for someone who only has one car but has a double wide site near you and offer them a few bucks or whatever to park one of your cars there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 10:14PM by mtn man.
May 03, 2012 10:19PM
cantwait2getback

That's too obvious.

There's no rule against having guests in a campsite, and many groups that manage to secure two campsites might gather at a single site for meals and the authorities probably have no way of knowing.

However, three cars parked at a site is too obvious. It's a strict limit of two vehicles, and it's easy to enforce. If there's a guest, they'll have to walk in and perhaps park their cars outside.

I remember staying at a Forest Service campground where the limit was two cars, but only the first was included with the standard fee. The second car was $5 a day.
May 03, 2012 10:32PM
y_p_w
That's too obvious.

There's no rule against having guests in a campsite, and many groups that manage to secure two campsites might gather at a single site for meals and the authorities probably have no way of knowing.

However, three cars parked at a site is too obvious. It's a strict limit of two vehicles, and it's easy to enforce. If there's a guest, they'll have to walk in and perhaps park their cars outside.

I figured they would, and I dont blame them. Just had to make sure
May 05, 2012 09:54AM
We once had 10 people and 2 campsites, but put all our tents on one site and kept the other site free for mingling. The ranger actually asked how many people were camping since he saw so many tents. After we told him that we had two sites, and pointed it out, he was ok with it.
May 16, 2012 08:10AM
People are almost "getting away with murder" in the valley camping this spring. We'll see if the rangers attempt to reign it all in.

The first night, we had a group of 10 in one site, three sites down, and next to a (legal) group of 6. Side by side there were 13 tents! They were quiet enough, but I can say that they put a strain on access to the handicapped restroom.

Then we moved to a "legal" site for ourselves (we had squeezed into a tent only site the first night.) Cars were parked everywhere along the campground road (not in a site,) generators ran for obnoxiously long periods, dogs were left in their RV's to bark continuously, smoky morning campfires...basically you could look at any rule and it was being broken. The last night, we had a big group move in...about 25 people. They did have the legal 4 sites, but they put up all of their tents in one site (one across the road from their other three sites.)

This was after last year, where a ranger had us put padding to protect the trees from our tiny backpacking hammock and our neighbors got a citation for their jeep tire being 3" off of their parking pad.

edit...oh, yeah...another neighbor said that he was able to use a friend's reservation to camp...he was asked for his ID, which didn't match, but he was allowed in anyway.

I think the hosts are in over their heads...one was confused at our first check-in, then the next day another host was giving us the wrong site til I corrected him. At the same time, another camper drove up and said that his assigned campsite was occupied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 08:17AM by hikerchick395.
May 16, 2012 12:36PM
Ignore this post . I'll correct it on my next post.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 12:40PM by mtn man.
May 16, 2012 12:59PM
hikerchick395
People are almost "getting away with murder" in the valley camping this spring. We'll see if the rangers attempt to reign it all in.

The first night, we had a group of 10 in one site, three sites down, and next to a (legal) group of 6. Side by side there were 13 tents! They were quiet enough, but I can say that they put a strain on access to the handicapped restroom.

Then we moved to a "legal" site for ourselves (we had squeezed into a tent only site the first night.) Cars were parked everywhere along the campground road (not in a site,) generators ran for obnoxiously long periods, dogs were left in their RV's to bark continuously, smoky morning campfires...basically you could look at any rule and it was being broken. The last night, we had a big group move in...about 25 people. They did have the legal 4 sites, but they put up all of their tents in one site (one across the road from their other three sites.)

This was after last year, where a ranger had us put padding to protect the trees from our tiny backpacking hammock and our neighbors got a citation for their jeep tire being 3" off of their parking pad.

edit...oh, yeah...another neighbor said that he was able to use a friend's reservation to camp...he was asked for his ID, which didn't match, but he was allowed in anyway.

I think the hosts are in over their heads...one was confused at our first check-in, then the next day another host was giving us the wrong site til I corrected him. At the same time, another camper drove up and said that his assigned campsite was occupied.

Were you in Upper Pines?

This was somewhat discussed in posts last year (2 years ago?) regarding Campground hosts enforcing (not) the rules. Here's a phone number you can use which will get a quick response from rangers who do enforce the rules. 209-379-1992 (24 hrs.) . It's not a number for emergencies. They have always eliminated the problem that I have called them about.

As far as morning fires go this usually works: I casually wander over to the person's campsite and , after exchanging pleasantries, say," You may want to put out that fire before the morning ranger patrol comes by. They will cite you and the ticket is about $500 which will probably ruin your trip. I'd hate to see that happen." Works every time and they usually thank me profusely.
May 16, 2012 02:15PM
mtn man
....992 (24 hrs.) . It's not a number for emergencies. They have always eliminated the problem that I have called them about.

It's the park dispatch, or more formally the Emergency Communications Center, number so it is absolutely for emergencies. It's not quite 911, that's probably why they have helped you in the past, but close. I would be very judicious in calling that number.
May 16, 2012 03:04PM
buster
mtn man
....992 (24 hrs.) . It's not a number for emergencies. They have always eliminated the problem that I have called them about.

It's the park dispatch, or more formally the Emergency Communications Center, number so it is absolutely for emergencies. It's not quite 911, that's probably why they have helped you in the past, but close. I would be very judicious in calling that number.

It's the number they post on the message boards at the entrance of the campgrounds for "after hours" noise problems or any other "after hours" campground problems....it goes to the dispatch office which will deal with non emergency problems (and emergency if you need it, but they recommend 911 for emergencies).
May 16, 2012 11:59PM
mtn man
buster
mtn man

It's the number they post on the message boards at the entrance of the campgrounds for "after hours" noise problems or any other "after hours" campground problems....it goes to the dispatch office which will deal with non emergency problems (and emergency if you need it, but they recommend 911 for emergencies).

Yes, that's the non-emergency phone number to contact the park's dispatchers. Don't worry about interrupting them from a real emergency. If a real emergency is taking up their time, they won't answer this non-emergency number and your call will go eventually to their voice mail. And if a real emergency call comes in when you're on the phone with them, they'll end your call to handle the 911 call.

Most juridictions have this type of non-emergency phone number to contact their 24/7 communication/dispatch centers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login