Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome in 3D

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 30, 2012 10:11AM
In the Eighty Percent thread I posted an aerial image taken by a friend on a commercial flight from Las Vegas to Oakland. There was a request for a larger image. Turns out he had a lot more images than I knew about. I'll be working to post some of those. But first I'm posting an anaglyph of Half Dome I made from 2 successive images he took. The movement of the airplane between images allowed for a 3D view. The image is not perfect but it's the best I could do. You need a pair of the red/blue glasses to view this. His images require a lot of Photoshop processing before I can present them. This 3D image took about 2 hours of playing around to get it to look decent. I'll post other images when I have the time.

The arrangement of this image works best for people who have a dominant right eye. If you are left eye dominant the red channel needs to be put in the green/blue channels and the green or blue channel needs to be put in the red channel and then viewed with the glasses held upside down. That will prevent the image from looking red.

I can also present a color stereo pair but you need to be able to free-fuse the pair and not many people know how to do that.

All 3D images are now available here:

http://panoramas.aa6g.org/Anaglyphs/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2012 05:18PM by Calaveras.
April 30, 2012 12:18PM
I usually take a few paired shots for anaglyphs when I visit good 3D candidates (like Bodie, and Earthquake Fault in Mammoth), so I just happen to have a pair of red-blue glasses. Good job on this photo, you get a good feel for the depth of the valley. I can see Half Dome presenting a problem with such a height variation but still a quite viewable image.
April 30, 2012 12:25PM
Thanks. I got a pair of them goofy glasses around here somewhere. Definitely would like to see some more of those shots.
April 30, 2012 05:09PM
Thank you for taking the time to do this. Much appreciated.

More please.

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 30, 2012 06:18PM
Worked best for me with red lens on left eye. The thing with anaglyph red/blue is that it can look pretty horrible at first, but after your eyes adjust for a minute it will start to look good. Very cool.
May 16, 2012 07:07AM
My goofy glasses arrived in the mail yesterday.

THIS IS #@$@$@! AWESOME

Seriously, this thread should have 100 comments of "wow, thanks".

The other 2 you did were just as fabulous.

I know this takes a lot of time and effort and I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

When you are at Taft.... perhaps you can zig over the road and head up
to Illiouette Ridge and take some photos to produce one from there.

Regardless, have fun and:
Bowing to his greatness

May 17, 2012 11:20AM
Thanks! I suspect most people don't have the glasses. I'm trying to do some more but it hasn't been as easy as I expected. We went to Taft and Glacier Points on Wednesday and I took several stereo pairs with varying separations because I wasn't sure how far part they needed to be. Turns out I couldn't get far enough apart to get a decent stereo affect in most cases. I had fairly good luck with Half Dome but there are some issues with the background mountains. I'll probably post that one.

If you want to put your glasses to use, the University of Arizona has a web site that includes a section of anaglyphs from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter which are amazing. There are currently 2737 stereo pairs.

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/stereo_pairs.php

Click on either of the image links for each image, then under Anaglyphs click on Map-Projected Reduced-Resolution (PNG) and wait for it to load. Enlarge it in your browser window.
May 17, 2012 11:46AM
Calaveras
Turns out I couldn't get far enough apart to get a decent stereo affect in most cases.

How far does it need to be?
May 17, 2012 12:34PM
I tried using 3-D glasses from the movie theatre but they didn't work...
May 17, 2012 01:50PM
chicagocwright

I tried using 3-D glasses from the movie theatre but they didn't work...

You can buy some from Amazon.com for under $5 (with free shipping).

Also, I've noticed that for me it helps to move the 3D image up and down slowly on the screen while wearing my 3D glasses to lock into the 3D effect. After my eyes get locked into seeing the image in 3D, I can stop moving the image with my mouse and still see the image in glorious 3D!
May 17, 2012 01:46PM
Calaveras

If you want to put your glasses to use, the University of Arizona has a web site that includes a section of anaglyphs from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter which are amazing. There are currently 2737 stereo pairs.

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/stereo_pairs.php

Click on either of the image links for each image, then under Anaglyphs click on Map-Projected Reduced-Resolution (PNG) and wait for it to load. Enlarge it in your browser window.

Some of those photos are freaking awesome in 3D. Thanks for the link!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2012 01:52PM by plawrence.
May 17, 2012 08:54PM
Indeed, thanks for sharing. I need a bigger screen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login