Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Rancheria Falls Pics

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Rancheria Falls Pics
April 30, 2012 09:18PM
Took a leisurely trip to/from Rancheria Falls from April 21-23. Some pics below, with many more here.

Almost dark:

Flowers definitely starting to bloom:

Cool cascades:

Some fall or other:

Campfire+stars:

Flowers on the way to Tiltill Valley:

Beginners 4am attempt at star trails:

Careful out there:

Lots of great rainbow action:
April 30, 2012 09:26PM
Awesome!

Glad I'm not a Newt

Been meaning to post this for you... Take a look at what happened to Wapama after the rain last week:

You hit it at a very nice time. Really really good flow...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Rancheria Falls Pics
April 30, 2012 10:03PM
Nice. I'm bound to get lucky with the conditions occasionally! grinning smiley

Thanks.
April 30, 2012 09:33PM
Just to let you know... that is a Garter Snake. Non-poisonous.

The cascade is Rancheria Cascade. Very nice.
Rancheria Falls is further upstream.

Waterfall there is Tueuelala (the one with the rainbow).

If I state something you know already... my apologies.

April 30, 2012 11:05PM
Wow! Excellent photographs, thanks for posting them!

Just curious, what camera did you use to capture the evening and nighttime shots of the stars. (BTW, you did a great job on your star trails photo.)

May 01, 2012 07:28AM
Thanks. I used a Pentax K5 w/ 35mm f/2.8 lens. I would have preferred something wider, but that's all I had with me!
May 01, 2012 03:35AM
Very nice. Re: star trails. Did you take a series of photos and stack them, or is that just one long exposure ? Hint...get the north star in the photo (but not in the center) for a more dramatic effect.
May 01, 2012 07:32AM
The Other Tom
Very nice. Re: star trails. Did you take a series of photos and stack them, or is that just one long exposure ? Hint...get the north star in the photo (but not in the center) for a more dramatic effect.

The trail is a stack of ~50 10sec images. Probably should have had a little less exposure to get fewer stars, as I think it's a too many in this image. I was aiming for the North start, but at 4am, while still half in my tent and using my hat on the ground as a tripod, my options were limited smiling smiley
May 01, 2012 09:17AM
vitaminC
The Other Tom

The trail is a stack of ~50 10sec images. Probably should have had a little less exposure to get fewer stars, as I think it's a too many in this image. I was aiming for the North start, but at 4am, while still half in my tent and using my hat on the ground as a tripod, my options were limited smiling smiley
Thanks for the update. Yeah, those hat tripods make things a little tricky..........
Good idea about using a shorter exposure, I'll have to try that next time around.
May 04, 2012 11:23AM
vitaminC,

I noticed the first nighttime shot picked up a meteor in the upper right corner. You planned that, right? thumbs up
May 04, 2012 01:05PM
Actually, yes! The Lyrids shower was supposed to peak that weekend, so I tried to aim in that general direction. Not sure if I succeeded or it was just coincidence smiling smiley I think I have some other images that have multiple meteors.

http://meteorshowersonline.com/lyrids.html
May 04, 2012 02:34PM
VitC,

I just now paid attention to the dates of your trip and noticed that my brother, nephew, and I were coming out while you were going in. We probably passed on the trail. We were a group of three, 6'4", 6'6", and 6'10". The nephew is 6'10".

Quite hot that day and we went through a lot of water causing a refill at the falls.

Old Dude
May 04, 2012 02:47PM
Old Dude,
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,52782,53276#msg-53276

I'm guessing he just didn't want to say hello to you.
tongue sticking out smiley

May 04, 2012 02:55PM
I'm pretty sure we would have noticed and remembered that crowd! There were five of us, three guys and two gals- none over 5'11 tongue sticking out smiley

We arrived Fri night and got a very late start Sat morning, so it's quite possible that our paths did not cross.
May 04, 2012 03:24PM
vitaminC
I'm pretty sure we would have noticed and remembered that crowd! There were five of us, three guys and two gals- none over 5'11 tongue sticking out smiley

We arrived Fri night and got a very late start Sat morning, so it's quite possible that our paths did not cross.

We did pass but my nephew had gone ahead so we weren't a group of three then. You left the falls at around 11:15 and we three met up there about 11:30. It was a hot day but I'll tell you that it gets a LOT hotter on that trail.

Old Dude
May 05, 2012 08:26PM
mrcondron

We were a group of three, 6'4", 6'6", and 6'10". The nephew is 6'10"

I think you ought to change your moniker from Old Dude to Big Old Dude! wink

May 05, 2012 09:45AM
Nice pics! I love the pics with the stars. Any hints on capturing such photos at night?
May 06, 2012 03:52PM
nyberg_d
Nice pics! I love the pics with the stars. Any hints on capturing such photos at night?

Trial and error is pretty much how I did it! There is some useful reading out there on the internet... like this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login