Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Pass opening this week looking possible?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tioga Pass opening this week looking possible?
May 01, 2012 03:55PM
With the Tioga road open to the high gate over the weekend and a clear forecast in the days ahead, it looks possible that Tioga Pass could open this week. There are lots of rumors out there, and given the warm weather and sparse snow year, it makes sense. Here at the Committee we’ve heard that the official word is May 15.

http://www.monolake.org/today/2012/04/30/tioga-pass-opening-looking-likely/
avatar Re: Tioga Pass opening this week looking possible?
May 01, 2012 06:41PM
It's not dependent on the snow anymore but on road repairs. We have a great road crew and they're working as hard as they can.
May 01, 2012 10:25PM
One thing I didn't realize until I drove Tioga Road in January is how much the asphalt buckles when the ground around it freezes. Tioga Road was a lot bumpier in spots in January than it ever is during the summer. Besides removing deadfall I presume the road crews will be smoothing over any bumps that were created over winter.

May 01, 2012 10:40PM
They sure didn't on GP road....

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 01, 2012 11:53PM
Glacier Point Road, though, isn't a state highway.

I would think that Caltrans would want Tioga Road, as part of Hwy 120, to meet a higher standard than what would be acceptable on an ordinary park road, even though through Yosemite, Tioga Road is maintained by the Park Service and not Caltrans.

May 02, 2012 06:42AM
I kind of thought Caltrans had pretty much no say within the park.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 02, 2012 10:59AM
Not directly, but I'm pretty sure that the Park Service works in conjunction with Caltrans and the Federal Highway Administration (FHA) to ensure that any designated routes of the National Highway System (NHS), which Hwy 120 is a part of, is up to the agreed upon specs.

May 02, 2012 08:18AM
What's that old saying? California is just a desert that Cal Trans decorated?
May 02, 2012 02:03PM
California is just the location of Yosemite.
May 02, 2012 02:40PM
So, any thoughts on whether this will change the proposed opening dates for various campgrounds along the road? I know it really depends on snow and future weather events, but I'm nearly done with my hectic school semester, and ready to start planning my summer trips.
May 02, 2012 04:39PM
As mentioned elsewhere, power needs to be restored by Southern California Edison before most of the facilities can be opened along Tioga Road. Obviously, that shouldn't effect some campgrounds like Yosemite Creek, but the Park Service might not want the Tuolumne Meadows Campground open until power is restored to the Tuolumne Meadow Store, Grill and the service station since those facilities help support those staying at the TM Campground.

May 02, 2012 04:57PM
I doubt it will take longer than a week to get power back up. The TM campground on the other hand, might take a month to be ready to open.
May 05, 2012 10:10AM
Very close, the end of the week. Nice guess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login