Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Exactly how hard is North Dome

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Exactly how hard is North Dome
May 02, 2012 03:00PM
I'll be in Yosimite May 30-June 7 and want to take picture of the fullmoon (well one day before) from north dome. According to: http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road/north-dome/north-dome.htm its a medium-high difficult. Because I will be hiking back in the dark with a pack full of camera gear (40 pounds) with a full moon is it dooable? 8.8 miles with the pack is not too far for me here in Texas, but at 9k feet I'm sure it will be more difficult.
avatar Re: Exactly how hard is North Dome
May 02, 2012 03:11PM
Rock hard.

Oh... you want a real answer...
May 03, 2012 04:28PM
itchbay
Rock hard.

Oh... you want a real answer...

This is the right answer.

And I put dis up with you in mind...
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,53158

Edumacation is so over-rated.. Chick-on just want to have fun!

tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 02, 2012 03:39PM
Ataim
I'll be in Yosimite May 30-June 7 and want to take picture of the fullmoon (well one day before) from north dome. According to: http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road/north-dome/north-dome.htm its a medium-high difficult. Because I will be hiking back in the dark with a pack full of camera gear (40 pounds) with a full moon is it dooable? 8.8 miles with the pack is not too far for me here in Texas, but at 9k feet I'm sure it will be more difficult.

It depends on your experience hiking/backpacking at altitude, but it's among the easier Yosemite trails. There are a few rocky sections, but it's mostly a dirt/duff trail. On the other hand, there are sections where the trail is on open granite that might be hard to follow at night if you're not familiar with the trail--mostly from the Indian Rock/Arch junction south.

Any chance you can scout it during the day prior to the nighttime run?
May 02, 2012 03:46PM
basilbop

It depends on your experience hiking/backpacking at altitude,

None at altutude.

basilbop
Any chance you can scout it during the day prior to the nighttime run?

Not really, I get in the day before the hike. Oh and one more thing, I'm solo, thats the only thing that worries me.
May 02, 2012 03:51PM
This is sort of a hard question to answer. I don't find that hiking at elevation to be that much of an issue, especially in the 8000' range, but I'm not you. What I have trouble with is sleeping at elevation. Even with the full moon I would think you'd want good headlamps or flashlights. A lot of the hike is in the forest so the moon may not be provide that much light especially since it'll be far south. Just curious, why do you want to photograph the moon from North Dome?
May 02, 2012 04:08PM
Calaveras
. Just curious, why do you want to photograph the moon from North Dome?

On May 30 and June 1 the near full moon will rise just to the left of half dome. If you wait until the 100% full moon it will too bright to have any detail in the shadows. Generally it is better if moon shots are taken a least one day BEFORE the full moon, or the day after the full moon in the morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 04:13PM by Ataim.
May 02, 2012 08:05PM
Okay. You're planning a very late afternoon shot of the moon over Half Dome when Half Dome is still fully illuminated. I assume you're planning on June 2nd since June 3rd is the night of the full moon, in fact there's a partial lunar eclipse around 4 am on the 4th. If a couple days earlier would work (the moon may not rise in quite the right place) you could shoot it in the late afternoon and pretty much have enough daylight to hike back to Tioga Road before it got dark.

What focal length lens are you planning on using on what camera? Half Dome is huge from North Dome and the moon will be tiny at any focal length that can cover all of Half Dome in one shot. I did a 200mm panoramic from North Dome and Half Dome was about 860 MB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 08:05PM by Calaveras.
May 03, 2012 06:12AM
Calaveras

What focal length lens are you planning on using on what camera? Half Dome is huge from North Dome and the moon will be tiny at any focal length that can cover all of Half Dome in one shot. I did a 200mm panoramic from North Dome and Half Dome was about 860 MB.

My longest lens is a 500mm then 300 180 and 90 on my 4x5. Most likely I'll shoot it with the 300 or 500. The 500 is about 135mm in a 35mm camera.
May 03, 2012 09:14AM
Ataim
Calaveras

My longest lens is a 500mm then 300 180 and 90 on my 4x5. Most likely I'll shoot it with the 300 or 500. The 500 is about 135mm in a 35mm camera.

I admit I gave you a leading question. smiling smiley Now I understand the 40 lbs of camera equipment. I want to be clear that I completely support anyone doing what they want and however they want as long as it's legal, but it's my opinion that film is history. I'm guessing you're looking to take your own version of that famous Ansel Adams shot. In his day, Ansel Adams had two things going for him, he lived in the valley so he could plan those special shots that few others could. He was also a darkroom master and that counts for a lot. I spent hundreds of hours in the darkroom in the 1990's printing astrophotos from TP2415 so I know how complex darkroom work can get.

I visited the Ansel Adams gallery in Yosemite. Twenty years ago I would have been in awe. Today I'm not impressed. A DSLR, a couple of lenses, and a stitching software package will blow away anything he did in terms of resolution and dynamic range, especially shadow detail, all without the film grain. The one major remaining variable is choice of composition by the photographer.

I wish you the best of luck and that you get the exact shot you want. There is one thing no one has mentioned. North Dome is a very windy location in the afternoon. We stayed only to about 3 pm last year and it was howling all afternoon. Maybe it stops by the time you plan to shoot. I hope so because we plan a return trip and stay until about 5 pm to get a fully illuminated pan of Half Dome.
May 03, 2012 09:15PM
Ataim
Calaveras
. Just curious, why do you want to photograph the moon from North Dome?

On May 30 and June 1 the near full moon will rise just to the left of half dome. If you wait until the 100% full moon it will too bright to have any detail in the shadows. Generally it is better if moon shots are taken a least one day BEFORE the full moon, or the day after the full moon in the morning.

is this done with google earth? planning a full moon hike in July and id like to take a look at this
May 03, 2012 09:23PM
ryanmj

is this done with google earth? s
http://photoephemeris.com/
May 02, 2012 04:51PM
Use your GPS track back feature to find your way in the dark if trail finding is hard. Saved my butt a few times.
May 02, 2012 06:17PM
hotrod4x5
Use your GPS track back feature to find your way in the dark if trail finding is hard. Saved my butt a few times.

???

Like all Yosemite trails that are popular, that one is a highway. Just take a headlamp and pay attention to signs. There are only a couple of intersections.
May 03, 2012 03:54PM
hotrod4x5

That works until the batteries die, the GPS dies or the GPS goes the way of the Chick-on camera.
May 03, 2012 04:29PM
eeek
hotrod4x5

That works until the batteries die, the GPS dies or the GPS goes the way of the Chick-on camera.

See this:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,53973,54008#msg-54008

May 02, 2012 05:32PM
It shouldn't be much of a problem to hike out in the dark. Just pay attention to landmarks on your way in. But even better would be to stay overnight; it's a great place for sunrise too. All you would need is a sleeping bag, ground cloth, emergency bivvy, some water and a breakfast snack. (Check the weather forecast before committing to this)

And a permit.
May 02, 2012 05:53PM
There are a couple of stream crossings too. When I went last June after our crazy winter, it was fine for walking across but that water was cold! Would be way less fun at night without the sun for warmth...
May 02, 2012 06:19PM
It's strenuous for someone who doesn't hike regularly. Probably moderate for someone who hikes monthly at least. The hardest part for me was the granite - but that was in full sun and I am susceptible to heat.

You also need to know when the moon rises. Sometimes it doesn't rise til early morning.
May 03, 2012 11:58AM
AlmostThere
You also need to know when the moon rises. Sometimes it doesn't rise til early morning.

No, he did say full moon. It rises at sunset. Even if coming over a ridge it never rises in the morning.
May 03, 2012 12:07PM
Found a nice explanation of moon rise times and more here.
May 02, 2012 06:33PM
Its a fun hike. Make sure you go the extra .3 to indian arch.
May 02, 2012 08:23PM
If ewe wanted a full moon... ewe just gotz to axe

ear ewe goez:

(April 21, 2012)

May 05, 2012 09:57AM
Who is this chick-on that are in half the photos on here?
May 03, 2012 06:25AM
Seem to be missing the crack in the moon........
May 03, 2012 09:26AM
Film may be history, and I agree, that with sticthing (or using a new body like the D800) amazing detail can be obtained in digital images, but for some people, the love of the process is what drives them.

I really enjoyed shooting my 4x5 field camera. It is light enough to carry anywhere (unlike monorails) and the excitement of seeing a beautiful scene on the ground glass has few rivals. If film and processing was free (oh, and drum scanning) I would probably shoot my 4x5 along with my DSLR.
May 03, 2012 10:06AM
hotrod4x5
Film may be history, and I agree, that with sticthing (or using a new body like the D800) amazing detail can be obtained in digital images, but for some people, the love of the process is what drives them.

Agreed. I used to love the darkroom process, and then I switched to scanning negatives, then to tricolor astrophotography and sending them out to be printed. It just became too obvious that CCD or even CMOS sensors could produce images that were simply impossible with film. This is a bit OT for this forum, but today an 8" telescope with a CCD camera can out do what the Palomar 48" Schmidt camera could do on film, especially in terms of limiting magnitude. At some point you have to let the past be in the past.

Next I want to get a couple of 30" x 40" prints made of my best Yosemite shots to mount in the poster frames. Big is awesome!
May 03, 2012 10:43AM
Calaveras
...Next I want to get a couple of 30" x 40" prints made of my best Yosemite shots to mount in the poster frames. Big is awesome!

Big may be awesome but the wise new photographer interested in publicly displaying their work ought to print at conservative sizes and not what they are hearing as hyperventilating buzz on web boards. Especially the last decade as digital cameras and inkjet printers have evolved, there has been a considerable increase in prints shown in public by the less experienced that have been printed so large that those experienced in viewing classic gallery level photographs immediately notice resolution per unit area is less than that of usual print sizes of large format work. In other words there is an optimal balance between how large an image file can be printed after which any increase in print size shows no more detail. Below that size detail is lost. When images are printed much larger than that balance, and prints will be viewed from usual close distances, one can expect the response from those with experience will tend to be critical even if the subject and aesthetic is otherwise good.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
May 03, 2012 11:31AM
DavidSenesac
Calaveras
...Next I want to get a couple of 30" x 40" prints made of my best Yosemite shots to mount in the poster frames. Big is awesome!
. When images are printed much larger than that balance, and prints will be viewed from usual close distances, one can expect the response from those with experience will tend to be critical even if the subject and aesthetic is otherwise good.

There is a HUGE difference between a hand crafted image, digital or analog, With today's digital caneras anyone can take 1000 pictures in and around Yosemite and have some really nice images. Heck my 10 year old grandaughter takes some really nice images. For me the bottom line is image quality. With Ilford HP5 developed in Pyrocat HD I can get close to 9 stops. Some say you can get 13.5, but I cannot. With the 8x10 and Velvia ("bout ten bucks a shotno, stop, enough!) scanned at 4000ppi that equates to a 1280 mp image. Also film causes me to slow down, take time to capture the absolute best that I can. On a good day I'll shoot 20 images in B&W and 5 in color. When in Yosemite, I may double that.
May 03, 2012 08:17PM
Ataim
With the 8x10 and Velvia ("bout ten bucks a shotno, stop, enough!)

Really? I'd think processing alone would be more than $10 these days.
May 03, 2012 02:43PM
Of course I agree that it's possible to make a print so big that the close-up resolution is poor. But I'm not talking about making prints like that from a single frame. I'm talking about panoramas where you often have the opposite problem. It's easy to generate images that are so huge that printing them is impractical, even at the 304.8 ppi used by the Lightjet. I'm finding with my DSLR that a 150 ppi print is about the right balance. IMO the days are past that there is any reason to be lugging medium or large format equipment to remote sites.

Since I'm fairly new on the forum and I'm writing like I know what I'm talking about, I want to point out that I actually have extensive experience in photography and image processing, but it's mostly in astrophotography, 25 years worth. Astrophotography is generally considered to be one of the most demanding types of photography there is but the composition factor is less critical. The sky doesn't change much. My collection of astroimages is located here:

http://astrophotography.aa6g.org/

My biggest project was a 20 frame mosaic image of a famous nebula complex that totaled 113.5 hours of exposure time over 2 years.

http://astrophotography.aa6g.org/Astrophotos/na-mosaic.html
May 03, 2012 04:31PM
Calaveras
Astro The Dog Stuff

As Mr. Sagan used to say:

One billlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll-eeee-yun thanks

AWESOME!

(now get back to the Fly-by of Yosemite faux toes)

(PLEASE)

May 04, 2012 11:02AM
Carl Sagan
May 04, 2012 01:30PM
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120312.html

(it has Half Dome in it!)

My apologies if you feel insignificant after looking at that.
You can pretty much rest assured there's some other clown out there somewhere
with a Pink Chick-on trying to amuse themselves...

Half Dome a Good One

May 04, 2012 01:33PM
P.S. Don't fall off your chair laughing unless you want to.

(a pack of Twinkies to who knows wth I am talking about)

May 04, 2012 02:38PM
North Dome is basically a walk, there is minimal elevation gain. If you even minimally fit, it shouldn't be difficult at all. The only difficult part is as you approach the dome, you will have to remove your pack and squeeze between a couple of boulders and then jump a little ways on the granite to descend. The view are quite good. In terms of hikes of 8-10 miles RT the only easier hike in Yosemite would be Mono Pass.
May 04, 2012 02:50PM
I'm sure you didn't want to respond to my post... but I can tell you I certainly didn't
remove my pack and have to squeeze thru anything when I was there a couple of
weeks ago.

Wapama Falls is way the heck easier than ND or Mono Pass.
Just saying

May 03, 2012 10:53AM
I think the North Dome hike is doable with the scenario you provided. As long as you are a decent navigator and you're not out of your comfort zone, you'll be fine.

There's a wonderful campsite at the saddle below the dome if you were to stay the night. Both the morning light and evening light were spectacular when I stayed there. No wind for my visit, either. We got lucky with great weather.

Scout the trail on the way out, identify some landmarks that you can find at night, and you'll be fine.

One of the nicest views I've ever had from bed.

Sunset

Please be sure to come back and post some of the results....Have fun!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
May 03, 2012 12:40PM
Jayabrams
I

Sunset

!

Do you know about what size lens you used on this one?

Thanks.
May 03, 2012 12:48PM
Looks like a cell phone shot.
May 03, 2012 03:47PM
It was a handheld camera, not much better than a camera phone.

Even an amateur like me takes a good shot once in a while. It happens a lot more often in Yosemite because the scenery is so awesome.

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login