Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Kibbie Trip Report 5-2-12

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Kibbie Trip Report 5-2-12
May 02, 2012 10:13PM
So I finally got a trip in, and my apologies (especially to chick-on), there's no pictures as I left the damn camera at home charging. Anyways, I got off Sunday afternoon and went up to the Eleanor Lake trailhead. We didn't get too far on the first night as I didn't get to the trailhead until 715, so we stayed the first night at the Kibbie Creek crossing off that trailhead. The second day we crossed the creek and cut off the trail and went up the canyon. I have to say, I was very impressed by that canyon. It was like Cherry Canyon, just more mellow. The next day we worked up the canyon and hooked into the Kibbie Lake Trail which we stayed on for about ten minutes before shooting through one of the slots and working around to the back of the lake. That night we stayed above the lake at about 6900 close to the unnamed creek that flows into the north west side of the Kibbie Lake. And finally this morning we cut up from where we camped to Kibbie Ridge and hooked into that trail right below sheepherder spring which is between Lookout Point and Sachse Spring. As always the view looking down on Cherry Canyon is spectacular. The creek was roaring by Flintstone Camp and most of the water was white.

Ok, here's some random info:

The road up to the Shingle Springs/Kibbie Lake trailhead is still blocked. When we called the Forest Service and they did invite us to clear it ourselves. And honestly, if I owned a chainsaw I would have. It wouldn't be more than a 30 minute job.

Snow level is patchy at 7100, its wide open below that. Another week to ten days and it'll be at 8000. It's melting off pretty fast.

I wasn't on the Kibbie Lake trail for more than a few minutes, but what I was on looked pretty bad. There seemed to be more downed trees than last year.

On the other hand, the Kibbie Ridge trail from Lookout Point down to the parking lot was actually in really good shape, all things considered. There were only 3 or 4 more trees downed from last season. The deepest snow we came across was 2 and a half feet. Most of it was less than a foot.

Absolutely no ice on Kibbie Lake.

I did see a few mosquitoes out already, I'd expect it to be pretty bad soon.

The weather was spectacular during the day, probably mid to low 60s. The first two nights at lower elevation it wasn't that cold, maybe mid to high 40s. The last night (tuesday) it was a little chilly at the elevation we were at. When I got up in the middle of the night the condensation on my tent was frozen.

Again, my apologies to everyone for not having pictures. Oh well, hopefully I can take a few next week...
avatar Re: Kibbie Trip Report 5-2-12
May 03, 2012 01:57AM
Thanks for the trip report and trails update.
May 03, 2012 06:46AM
I am not having much luck with camera type objects lately...
sad smiley

I remember for some reason or other I put a few in a set for you.
(I think of stuff around the area you perhops didn't see)

Here's two from the best part of the canyon imo for the other peeps:

There's also a dome nearby that I've had my eyeballs on for years now to
get to the top on and take an extended nappy... but that is
E of the trail to Kibbie (E of Kibbie Creek). No question that is spectacular too.

Thanks for the report... too many choices now with nearly everything open

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 03, 2012 12:24PM
Yeah, it would appear everything is wide open. I am curious to see how the trails are off Tioga Rd, although I think next week I am going to try to get into Cherry Canyon.

Also, thanks for the pics. And yes, I did wonder what the view would be from that dome East of the creek as well..
May 03, 2012 05:55PM
I'm sure everyone is going to think it's nice and dry and no snow.

Consider the Lookout Pt. down into the canyon route which basil beat me to last year. sad smiley

Also, if you run across that monster Douglas Fir down there... snag me a waypoint please.
I don't want to miss it next time... but not sure when that will even be...
I think I know where it is now... but ... I like tech stuff.

Have fun and have the Pizza and beer ready

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 04, 2012 08:48PM
I will probably go in from the other side, off 3N01/cottonwood road. Not sure though, I still have a few days to decide.
May 11, 2012 02:15PM
That log is now cleared, you can make it all the way to the Shingle Springs trailhead, for those of you interested.
May 12, 2012 12:11AM
Thanks for the update!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login