Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Transportation Ideas - Yosemite Valley to Mammoth

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Transportation Ideas - Yosemite Valley to Mammoth
May 08, 2012 06:15AM
Sorry to Chick-on if I missed this in a prior link (I'm sure I did), but I need a little help from the pros here. My group will be doing a small piece of the JMT from around Devil's Postpile to YV between June 21-25. However, YARTS does not run during the week at this point in the summer. We are trying to leave our getaway car in the valley and get a ride to Mammoth. With YARTS out of the picture, I'm not sure what the best way to get transportation from the valley to Mammoth. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.
May 08, 2012 08:08AM
I'm really glad you pointed this out - I am going from HI to Reds Meadow in September and was counting on Yarts for transportation from Mammoth to the Valley - I didn't see that they only operate on weekends after July - I just did a quick search and found a place called "High Sierra Shuttle" based out of Bishop - contact info is 760-872-3950 office/760.258.6060 cell

Here is what they say about themselves:

Getting around the Sierra's from trail head to trail head – quickly, affordably, and safely. We do it better than anyone. For over 8 years we have been a full service trail head shuttle service, serving the Eastern Sierra's from Cottonwood/ New Army Pass trail head to Happy Isle trail head located in the valley of Yosemite and every trail head destination in between. We have the right people to service your transportation needs at the right price. We are family owned; fully insured company based in Bishop, CA. that. offers a host of services that will take the hassel out of your transportation needs. Various publications such as Back Packer magazine and US Forestry advertize our company.

I have no idea what the cost is but if you decide to use them or when and if you find someone else, please post your experience so I can figure out what I will do too.

Here is another website with some alternatives - Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to cost us to get where we want to go

http://climber.org/data/shuttles.html
avatar Re: Transportation Ideas - Yosemite Valley to Mammoth
May 08, 2012 08:14AM
Sorry.... it was Monday or something other than Friday-Sunday.

Half your group starts from the Valley. The other from Reds.
When you meet each other... hand each other keys... say hello... and goodbye.
tongue sticking out smiley

(sorry I know it's not viable with HI permits.. but at least smile)

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 08, 2012 09:03AM
My other brilliant idea is to just hike faster...
You are doing it at the longest daylight hours...

Start by having your car at the start TH. And shuttle back to car.

Sorry that's all I got other than shifting your trip....

Feel free to smack me up for the brilliant ideas.... I usually deserve it.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 08, 2012 10:32AM
I like the "swap keys in the middle" strategy. Everyone who snores in group 1, all others in group 2. Will let everyone know what we find out. Take care.
June 27, 2012 07:24AM
socalcpa: we used mammoth taxi - ask for scottie - he knows whats up. We had them pick six of us up in the valley and drop us off at Mammoth, then picked us up the morning of the hike to drive us to the trail head (red's meadow was closed so we had to grind up outta silver lake/rush creek). I can't remember the cost, but definitely fair. As an added bonus, Scottie is pretty active in the outdoors and provided some great intel prior to our departure. Would highly recommend using them if you are going off the yarts map.
June 27, 2012 10:36PM
Thanks for the update.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login