Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Glen Aulin to White Wolf

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Glen Aulin to White Wolf
May 08, 2012 06:40PM
I've got a permit for Glen Aulin to Waterwheels pass thru to White Wolf for the first weekend of August. Last year we were wading through most of the trail between Waterwheels and Return Creek (our turn around point) and this was late July. It was an outstanding trip to say the very least!

From what I've been reading, this year will not be nearly as wet so late in the season. Should I be expecting a dry Tuolumne river come August? Or do ya'll think I'll still have a good water source throughout the trip? I haven't been to the park since last September, so I'd love to hear from some of you lucky folks who are closer to the action. Thanks!
avatar Re: Glen Aulin to White Wolf
May 08, 2012 06:41PM
Tuolumne River flows year-round.
Re: Glen Aulin to White Wolf
May 08, 2012 06:57PM
That was the assumption I had made. It wasn't until I started reading through some articles on web that I began to doubt myself. It seems some folks in San Francisco maybe concerned with their drinking water supply this summer.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
May 08, 2012 07:09PM
Hetch Hetchy serves millions of people in the SF Bay Area, either exclusively or blended with other water sources, with top demand coming in late summer - dams are (in part) an effort to extend wintertime supply to meet summertime demand. You need a flow, _any_ flow, in the Tuolumne River between the Meadows and the Dam - you'll have it. They (we) need a certain sustained flow at the Early Intake downstream of the dam. Any questions about supply would relate to whether the "certain" level would be met.

A few weeks ago I reserved a permit for a weekend trip to Pate Valley (from White Wolf) in late September. I have no concerns whatever about that trip (mostly because I've backpacked up the Grand Canyon without issue).

Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 07:12PM by ttilley.
Re: Glen Aulin to White Wolf
May 08, 2012 07:19PM
Thanks again!We will definitely have fun. Hope you do the same!
May 08, 2012 10:16PM
Unless the Lyell Glacier disappears entirely you can rest assured there
will be water in the river...
However you may be quite surprised at how different an experience it is.

(if you were wading "all the way to Return" then I think we are back in the ice ages)
tongue sticking out smiley

Have fun!

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login