Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Migratory Patterns of P. Roseus

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Migratory Patterns of P. Roseus
May 08, 2012 07:39PM
Abstract: Informal field observations of the "pink Sierra chick-on" (Pseudogallus roseus) suggests that it has a peculiar migratory pattern. Instead of the dominant season-based frequency, this bird's migrational frequency is exactly one week. The bird spends several days in a former alluvial delta-wetlands environment, migrating to the Sierra Nevada for a few days every weekend. To further study this unusual migratory pattern, the author attempted unsuccessfully to intercept and trap P. roseus along a theoretical migratory route at a high point roughly along a proposed great-circle route. The failure to capture or intercept a specimen warrants further studies to refine the timing, location, and potentially the transportation mode used for the migration.

Figure 1: P. roseus trap located near Mt. Rose, California.

Field Notes
avatar Re: Migratory Patterns of P. Roseus
May 08, 2012 08:31PM
May I kindly suggest that the placement of your traps have been often times been in less than optimal locations.

If you have studied the migratory habits of the Pseudogallus roseus for any length of time, you would note that its favorite feeding locations are near shiny objects atop great mountains. The shiny objects these birds appear to be most attracted to are of this variety:

So in your future studies of these amazing creatures, I would recommend that you place your traps nearer such objects. wink

May 08, 2012 08:51PM
plawrence
So in your future studies of these amazing creatures, I would recommend that you place your traps nearer such objects. wink

I'm actually undecided whether the goal of the experiment is to capture P. Roseus, or to see how long a Twinkee[tm] can sit in the sun before turning weird colors. More data are needed.
May 08, 2012 09:45PM
a) I'm starting to get very sad for that Twinkie
b) You need to build a better Chick-on trap (Exhibit T)
c) Sometimes you need to Coe a little further south... or move like a Jackrabbit

d) Why wouldn't you go where there are similar clowns?

In all cereal-less-ness.... I have a hard time not gong to the Sierra now.
Went to Coe only twice last year to knock off some trails hadn't been on... but
doubt I'll go at all this year.

e) Since you are always trying... perhaps you may enjoy these from last weekend:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/HillsPt

Keep on Hike-on
(btw.. you may enjoy Ventana Double Coney Day hikey - dooz that last year on my bird-day hike)
Chick-on is looking at you!

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login