Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Falls Cam

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 10, 2012 10:59AM
May 10, 2012 11:15AM
Yeah, I have always wondered why they did not have one pointed that way. Now we can monitor the falls. I love webcams.Head roll
May 10, 2012 11:18AM
They ought to retitle it Upper Yosemite Fall webcam (the Lower Fall is completely hidden from the view).
May 10, 2012 12:04PM
From the picture it looks like the cam is on one of the Yosemite Lodge buildings. To get all of the falls, I am not sure that there was a location where they could access the internet and electricity to run the cam.
May 10, 2012 12:16PM
parklover
From the picture it looks like the cam is on one of the Yosemite Lodge buildings. To get all of the falls, I am not sure that there was a location where they could access the internet and electricity to run the cam.

Possibly on the roof of the Yosemite Falls comfort station. I just saw a photo online the other day taken near the comfort station what clearly showed both the upper and lower falls. I'm trying to locate that photo again. If I do, I'll provide a link to it on this thread.

May 10, 2012 12:32PM
The comfort station near the falls is at the wrong angle to put a cam and see all of the falls. To see all of the falls you have to stand closer to where the two benches that are near the fence that is in front of the restored parking lot. Those benches allow you to see directly down the path to the falls. On our spring break trip I sat on one of those benches for almost an hour looking at the falls in the moonlight.

One nice thing is in the cam shot there is a Dogwood tree at the bottom so you can monitor when the Dogwoods are blooming.
May 10, 2012 12:41PM
May 10, 2012 12:57PM
I know about that spot, but I was surprised to see this photo somewhere (I wish I knew from which site I saw it) that had a view of the two falls more in an angle (like the Hutchings cut view) with the grassy area (where former parking lot was) in the foreground and the comfort station of just to the right. Again, the angle of the two falls were more similar to a photo taken of the falls thru the Hutchings cut. I even wondered if it was maybe photoshopped. Next time I'm in the park, I'm going walk to the area near the comfort station to see for it myself.

May 10, 2012 07:23PM
My guess is that it is right near the Mountain Room Restaurant.
Probably on the roof of there or where the bar is zoomed in some.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 11, 2012 02:02PM
The camera is on the Alder building, across the street from the Yosemite Lodge front desk. I give it five years before some cedar trees grow up in front of the view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2012 02:05PM by YosemiteSteve.
May 11, 2012 03:19PM
I will look for it the next time we go. Which corner of Alder is it on?
May 12, 2012 09:04AM
Watch out, you may find Chick On there waiting for the refresh to post online so he can get another infamous snapshot.
May 17, 2012 11:41PM
UYF Webcam

Rights belong to S.F. Chronicle
May 10, 2012 07:08PM
parklover
I'll be passing by that area several times tomorrow. I'll try to look for the camera.
May 10, 2012 01:04PM
Very nice. Maybe they read my request/idea from awhile back...

Thanks for your efforts, Conservancy!

Cocktail
May 10, 2012 01:29PM
Very cool. Now they just need to add it to the main webcam page.
May 10, 2012 02:00PM
For the time being, it's a sneak peak link for donors. Donors get first dibs. smiling smiley
May 10, 2012 06:47PM
They should put the Tioga pass cam back up
May 11, 2012 09:06AM
Is it just me, or is that just an image and not a live webcam?
May 11, 2012 10:28AM
The update frequency appears to be 30 seconds.
May 11, 2012 11:33AM
Ha, thanks. I was staring at the screen for a bit and wondering if it was moving very slowly.
May 11, 2012 09:16AM
Its just an image, they update it ever minute - 5 minutes...im not sure which one
May 14, 2012 05:58PM
Take in Yosemite views by webcam

New webcam at Yosemite National Park in California shows the soaring 2,425-foot Yosemite Falls

FRESNO, Calif. — Just in time for spring snowmelt: a webcam pointed at one of Yosemite National Park's main attractions, the soaring 2,425-foot Yosemite Falls.

The HD camera went live on North America's tallest fall Monday, allowing anyone with Internet access to watch in stunning detail as shadows race across the towering granite monolith over which Yosemite Creek crashes in a series of plunges and cascades. It's updated every 30 seconds through a high-speed DSL connection; www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams.

... The new camera and one in the Ahwahnee Meadow pointed at Half Dome are HD optimized for computer viewing at 1280x720 pixels resolution, or 720p. The falls camera is capable of 1280x1024 pixels. Eventually the conservancy would like to place webcams in the old growth redwood forest at Mariposa Grove, and in the sub-alpine Tuloumne Meadows at 8,600 feet.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2018208801_webyosemitewebcam14.html
May 14, 2012 10:19PM
Wohoo, we are getting HD quality webcams! I like it when our parks get more technically advanced.
May 16, 2012 12:58AM
Nice!

Yosemite Conservancy Yosemite Falls WebCam Time-lapse Wed May 15, 2012

Looks like it must get really windy on the cliff face during the day! It's pretty amazing how much the falling water deflects to the west/towards the gully. No wonder that part of the trail is so wet.
May 22, 2012 06:41PM
Yosemite Falls looks like it is getting smaller every day.
May 22, 2012 06:49PM
This year, dry by 4th of July?
May 23, 2012 01:41AM
Hmm, I wouldn't rule out that possibility.

Here's a picture taken 4th of July, 2011. It had more water then than it has today. So give it a few more weeks and all there's left might be a small trickle.

Yosemite Falls - 4th Of July, 2011

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 01:42AM by Half Dome Hiker.
May 23, 2012 08:05AM
Wow it is small for late May! How sad. sad smiley
May 25, 2012 02:42PM
I hadn't looked at it for awhile and it's really diminished! Bad news for valley visitors this summer but good news for people like me who want to get up to higher elevations without snow.
May 25, 2012 03:52PM
Looks as if late April was near-perfect timing for Sierra Point.

Ribbon and Sentinel are probably near-extinct for this year. Although this weekend's weather might spring all of them back to life short-term.
September 11, 2012 01:56PM
Looks completely dry, currently.
September 11, 2012 04:34PM
It really is amazing that such a tremendous falls dries up in summer.
September 12, 2012 11:03PM
But not that amazing once you consider how relatively small and rocky its watershed is. It amazes me that so much water flows over it during spring and early summer.

Compared to the watershed for Vernal and Nevada Falls, the watershed for Yosemite Falls in minuscule.

September 13, 2012 12:17PM
plawrence
But not that amazing once you consider how relatively small and rocky its watershed is. It amazes me that so much water flows over it during spring and early summer.

Compared to the watershed for Vernal and Nevada Falls, the watershed for Yosemite Falls in minuscule.

Yosemite Creek Drainage ~ 27,000 acres
Merced River, above Nevada Falls, Drainage ~ 76,000 acres

So it is obviously much smaller, a little more than a third of the size, but not tiny at all. For comparsion the Bridalveil Creek drainage is about 17,800 acres.

As you pointed out, the hydrology of the drainage is a huge factor effecting water flow.
September 13, 2012 12:32PM
I read in several references that the drainage is only 4 square miles. Is that 27,000 acres? If it really is larger than Bridalveil, the volume and length of time it lasts must be influenced greatly by the landscape. More rocks and less dirt (where water will soak in and slowly trickle out)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2012 12:33PM by hotrod4x5.
September 13, 2012 01:27PM
hotrod4x5
I read in several references that the drainage is only 4 square miles. Is that 27,000 acres? If it really is larger than Bridalveil, the volume and length of time it lasts must be influenced greatly by the landscape. More rocks and less dirt (where water will soak in and slowly trickle out)

I think you must mean 40 square miles. 40 square miles is 25,600 acres so that would be a somewhat close approximation.
September 13, 2012 01:36PM
Plus, if you think about it for a second, Yosemite Creek is much longer than 4 miles long and at least a mile wide for long stretches, so 4 square miles doesn't make sense.
September 13, 2012 01:59PM
I don't know where I got that number. I did find that Ribbon drains 4 square miles, maybe that is where I got confused. http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/falls.php?num=38
September 13, 2012 02:07PM
buster
hotrod4x5

I think you must mean 40 square miles. 40 square miles is 25,600 acres so that would be a somewhat close approximation.

And what's also important isn't just the size in acres (or square miles) of the drainage, and the hydrology of its soils, but also the amount of the annual snowpack. The Yosemite Creek watershed is overall at a lower elevation, with corresponding less snowpack, compared to the Merced River watershed above Nevada Fall.

September 13, 2012 02:12PM
plawrence
buster
hotrod4x5

And what's also important isn't just the size in acres (or square miles) of the drainage, and the hydrology of its soils, but also the amount of the annual snowpack. The Yosemite Creek watershed is overall at a lower elevation, with corresponding less snowpack, compared to the Merced River watershed above Nevada Fall.

Isn't there a glacier at the source of the Merced?
September 13, 2012 04:23PM
hotrod4x5
Isn't there a glacier at the source of the Merced?

There's Lyell Glacier that is the source of the Tuolumne River, but no glacial source for the Merced. There is a Lyell Fork of the Merced, a really cool place to backpack to btw, but it's on the otherside of the Mt Lyell glacier.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login