Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Ribbon Falls 2D/3D

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 10, 2012 12:47PM
After making those aerial 3D images I started thinking I should take stereo pairs when I'm on a hike if an opportunity presents itself. But how well will they actually work? I looked through my panorama images and found a pair that covered Ribbon Falls from two widely separated locations. One image was from Dewey Point and the second image was from a spot several hundred feet west of Dewey Point. This turned out to be just about perfect. One image was taken at 50mm and one at 35mm so I had to scale them in Photoshop. The main problem was that one image was taken about 2 after the other so there are some noticeable shadow differences.

I've posted both the original image and the 3D image. This time I used the quasi-color method. The 3D image clearly shows how we don't have stereoscopic vision at that distance. The 3D image is like having a detailed model on the table right in front of you.

I had often wondered why there was no trail up the canyon between Ribbon Falls and El Capitan going to El Capitan. Even though I had seen this area in person many times I didn't realize what the terrain was like until I saw the 3D image. The canyon goes much farther back than I thought and ends at a wall.

From now on I'm going to try to take some stereo pairs. I think the 3D images can be quite helpful in planning future hikes.

All 3D images are now available here:

http://panoramas.aa6g.org/Anaglyphs/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2012 05:15PM by Calaveras.
May 10, 2012 01:17PM
Dang! Thanks for posting this 3D photo. It looks great with my 3D glasses. In regards to that gully, its name is El Capitan Gully, and one can definitely scramble and hike it to the top though it's probably Class 3 in some sections.

Here's a 2002 trip report from Bob Burd describing his hike up El Cap Gully in detail: http://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_reports/el_capitan_2.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2012 03:15PM by plawrence.
May 10, 2012 01:55PM
I love reading those trip reports but that's beyond what I'll be doing. smiling smiley
May 10, 2012 02:18PM
How much do goggles cost, and where can you get them? Thanks.
May 10, 2012 02:45PM
There are lots of places you can buy them on-line. Since I wear glasses I bought clip-ons from here back in 1996 when NASA started posting anaglyphs from Mars Pathfinder. These are pretty nice.

http://www.3dglasses.net/plastic_3d_glasses.htm

I use them often to view NASA images or make my own from the thousands of raw images from the twin Mars rovers.
May 10, 2012 03:00PM
It's quite possible that he is unaware of the other 3D stuff you have posted which also included
a link to a pair of 3D glasses from Amazon. (I'm still waiting for mine) Looking forward to eating some
popcorn and Twinkies and going oooooooo and ahhhhh when they arrive.

Eastern Yose in 3D:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,54088

Half Dome in 3D:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,53807

Aerial - 2D:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,54107

AWESOME

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 24, 2012 10:16AM
Thanks for the link, just ordered a pair last night. Estimated time of delivery: July 5th!!! LOL. Oh well.
May 24, 2012 10:55AM
Ohnivy-Drak
Thanks for the link, just ordered a pair last night. Estimated time of delivery: July 5th!!! LOL. Oh well.

Don't worry ... you'll get it much quicker than that. Mine weren't suppose to be delivered until mid June.

May 10, 2012 03:28PM
Ohnivy-Drak

How much do goggles cost, and where can you get them? Thanks.

You can purchase them on Amazon. I bought mine through Amazon for $5 though other sellers on Amazon are selling it now for less than $3 with free shipping.

Here's a link to the ones that I purchased:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036NP3CS

May 10, 2012 01:32PM
Bowing to his greatness

Your picture is awesome. But it does not show the entire El Cap Gully.
The Gully continues further up off the upper right hand corner of the photo.

Tanks for Sharon!

May 10, 2012 02:35PM
I changed the images. I went a little farther east to get the entire gully but not as far down. Just below the images are very different perspectives of the peaks above Bridalveil Falls that get in the way. The 3D doesn't work right if something is too close in the foreground. And I cropped out the sky because one image is clear and the other has clouds.
May 10, 2012 03:02PM
Bowing to his greatness (again)

From what I have been told the Gully used to be the de facto way for climbers to come back
down from El Cap. My understanding is that it is rarely taken anymore since there is a
simpler route down the eastern slope with a rappel.

Something like that
smiling smiley

May 10, 2012 09:14PM
chick-on

From what I have been told the Gully used to be the de facto way for climbers to come back
down from El Cap. My understanding is that it is rarely taken anymore since there is a

Something like that
smiling smiley

el cap gully. you up for it?
May 17, 2012 09:43PM
ryanmj
chick-on

Something like that
smiling smiley

el cap gully. you up for it?

dang. how I keep missing these. Yes. I'll give that a go w/you.

Doubles as bumping this thread up. What an awesome shot.
Near the top there is another smaller Ampitheatre... and you can really see
the entire gully.

Thanks Mr. Calavaras

May 10, 2012 07:27PM
I can touch the falls!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login