Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Happy Isles to Merced Lake and environs report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Happy Isles to Merced Lake and environs report
May 13, 2012 12:36PM
Started last Tuesday a week later than planned and boy am I glad for that because the weather this last week was phenomenal! Left
Berkeley and arrived at the valley wilderness center at 12:30 where I was issued a permit for that very day (!). Hiked the mist trail to Little Yosemite valley and since there weren't many people I camped there. The next day I hiked in to Merced Lake, seeing no one. There was no snow or water at all but many downed trees, althought nothing that's much more than a nuisance. The next day I day-hiked up to just past the Babcock Lake junction; the creek that flows from Emeric was just too fast for me to feel comfortable fording it to see Babcock Lake. The Clark Range is snow covered of course and quite stunning from the viewpoints climbing up the trail .Again that day and night I saw no one and had Merced to myself . Then on Friday I took the high route back to LYV campsite, again not seeing anyone until the junction with the Half Dome trail. I did watch two people coming down Half Dome on the laid-down cables; ants on a melon--one humungous melon! From my vantage point the exposure seemed tremendous. Oh, the high route is completely snow free but again there were about a dozen downed trees on the trail. This is a really pretty hike with no real boring parts; in my opinion this is a great time to hike it because of the lack of other people and the snowy views and plentiful cascades.
avatar Re: Happy Isles to Merced Lake and environs report
May 13, 2012 02:27PM
Thanks for the trip report.

Yeah, now appears to be a good time to be in the backcountry. Wish I had some free time to be there.
Re: Happy Isles to Merced Lake and environs report
May 13, 2012 06:31PM
Thank you for the info and wonderful update. Much appreciated!!! Next Friday I am back in Yosemite for most of the summer. Counting the days....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login