All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 12, 2012 - views
May 13, 2012 07:07PM
I figure I can't be the only one wondering exactly how much snow is still around...

so here you go: photos

truth is I actually brought my skis, but left them in the car.
someone did ski the east chute recently, tracks looked maybe a couple of days old.
enjoy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2012 07:16PM by Klas.
May 14, 2012 01:05PM
Cool photos! Thanks for the trip report and the link to photos.

So how deep was the snow that you encountered?
Re: May 12, 2012 - views
May 14, 2012 03:21PM
Thanks for posting those. I have to admit I am really disappointed at how much snow is there. With this historically low snow season I was hoping that the High Country trails like Clouds Rest, Youngs Lake and Ten Lakes would be basically snow-free by the first of June. Doesn't look like that's likely. Dang!
May 14, 2012 03:25PM
Ulysses61
Thanks for posting those. I have to admit I am really disappointed at how much snow is there. With this historically low snow season I was hoping that the High Country trails like Clouds Rest, Youngs Lake and Ten Lakes would be basically snow-free by the first of June. Doesn't look like that's likely. Dang!

That's two more weeks. The snow is melting fast and you may be okay by then.
May 14, 2012 03:51PM
I'm not buying the idea that the state water people are trying to sell that this year is very dry. Dryer than average? Sure, but no dryer than several other years in the last decade. The official snow water content graphs are here:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snowsurvey/PLOT_SWC

and they show the central Sierra is closing in on 0% and should be there within a week. Nothing in those pictures would lead me to believe it's close to zero.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login