Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Rafferty Creek Hike/Snowshoe

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Rafferty Creek Hike/Snowshoe
May 13, 2012 09:40PM
I took advantage of the early opening of the Tioga Road to hike/snowshoe up the Rafferty Creek trail. Conditions: mostly clear up to 9200', lots of up-and-down over snowdrifts between 9200' and 9600', continuous snow above 9600'. I camped near the pass, with reasonable access to snowmelt flowing over rocks so I didn't have to melt snow, and day-hiked to the rocks west of the pass, and above Boothe Lake. The area south of the pass is similarly snow covered. It got below freezing last night since I had frost on my tent, but not very far below freezing (the melting snow was still flowing at sunrise), and this snow is not forming corn, its just weak slush by day, firming up overnight.

Driving over Tioga Pass, there isn't continuous snow even up to the pass, these areas probably see less melting due to the surrounding peaks.

Some pictures:

The meadow at the base of the pass, with Fletcher and Vogelsang Peaks:

Rafferty Creek Valley from the rocks west of the pass:

View in the other direction:

Vogelsang Peak and Boothe Lake:

Boothe was iced over except for its swampy inlet, and a few areas w/ snow ledges hanging over the lake. I could only see into the middle of Emeric Lake, the main part of the lake is iced over, no idea what's happening at the edges.

More Pictures

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2012 09:41PM by ttilley.
avatar Re: Rafferty Creek Hike/Snowshoe
May 14, 2012 07:12AM
Kewl.

For you:

If you got a super zoom of Z Peak... you may be able to see some chick-on tracks
and maybe even a chick-on butt track... tongue sticking out smiley

(btw... rangers told Joe that needed snowshoes... me said "wha!" ... we didn't take them...
posthole every so often didn't bother us... ) YMMV

Bernice, Gallison, Evelyn, Vogelsang, Fletcher, Emeric, Boothe, ... all frozen
but open at the outlet...

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 14, 2012 07:46AM
Cool.

So the two tracks I saw going up the snow were yours, then. There was one other person who came down Rafferty Saturday, he had planned to hike the JMT from the Valley and decided to bail instead of going over Donohue (he said he had a Spot w/ a programmed 'pick me up' message for his wife). Didn't see any other tracks in the snow on the way down.

I bet that was a really nice view from Vogelsang w/ all the snow.
May 14, 2012 08:10AM
Yup. We didn't see anyone the entire time sans between the twin bridges and the TH...

The view was ok. wink

May 14, 2012 08:49AM
Where are Chick On's tracks? Or was he on your head again.
May 14, 2012 07:37PM
Dan: I didn't see it before, but...my first picture includes chicken tracks going generally from lower-left to somewhat-less-lower-right.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures, especially from the peak.
May 15, 2012 11:10AM
Thanks for the trip report and photos! Pretty cool three of the regulars here decided to tackle the same trail independently.
May 15, 2012 09:39AM
chick-on
Kewl.

For you:

If you got a super zoom of Z Peak... you may be able to see some chick-on tracks
and maybe even a chick-on butt track... tongue sticking out smiley

(btw... rangers told Joe that needed snowshoes... me said "wha!" ... we didn't take them...
posthole every so often didn't bother us... ) YMMV

Bernice, Gallison, Evelyn, Vogelsang, Fletcher, Emeric, Boothe, ... all frozen
but open at the outlet...

Have fun
Got more ? Only two in your album....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 09:39AM by The Other Tom.
May 15, 2012 06:17PM
The Other Tom
chick-on
Kewl.
<snippy>

Have fun

OK, since you asked a put a Twinkie Sampling together for you.

Look here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Vogelsang

May 15, 2012 06:33PM
Nice pictures, thanks!

I wonder how long that snow's going to last...3 feet or so from the shower picture, pretty weak pack, probably melting several inches per day...
May 15, 2012 06:43PM
Nice photos as always. How cold was it up on top of Vogelsang during the day and night (or at night wherever you setup camp)?
May 16, 2012 04:16AM
chick-on
The Other Tom
chick-on
Kewl.
<snippy>

Have fun

OK, since you asked a put a Twinkie Sampling together for you.

Look here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Vogelsang

Very nice. Thanks. The Vogelsang area is one of my favorites.
May 14, 2012 10:08AM
Thanks for the report Tom. Esp. the detail about elevations and snow conditions...I was in the ocean, in a yak, with a whale cool smiley
May 14, 2012 12:24PM
Thanks for the info and pictures. I was in cherry canyon last week and it was perfect weather. I did t have to put on long sleeves the whole trip.
May 14, 2012 08:54PM
Here's one:
May 14, 2012 09:10PM
Wow, great shot!
Where did you take this from?
May 14, 2012 09:16PM
Thanks - Vogelsang Peak.
May 15, 2012 07:07AM
Really nice shot! Thanks for posting. I guess the second set of tracks going up the snow were yours.
May 15, 2012 07:28AM
That would be the Joe I mentioned before. smiling smiley
I got my permit from Big Oak Flat ... was writing it up and the rangers opened the door
and wrote me a permit (was seconds from finishing the self reg).
Pretty much they didn't say anything other than "welcome back" to which I said
"I never left". tongue sticking out smiley
Joe had to get his permit from TM since by the time he got his they figured they
couldn't coordinate quotas w/o telephone access, etc. They told him
you NEED snowshoes.
Anyway, blah blah.

Here's the same thing with less zoom and some annotations:

Somewhat shaking my head with him posting a Half Dome since... ah nevermind

EDIT: he sent me that photo... and I said "Son of a !!!! I need to find my Supa Zoom cam!!" (i.e. It's a darn sweeeeet shot)

Have fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 07:30AM by chick-on.
May 15, 2012 11:13AM
chick-on

Somewhat shaking my head with him posting a Half Dome since... ah nevermind

EDIT: he sent me that photo... and I said "Son of a !!!! I need to find my Supa Zoom cam!!" (i.e. It's a darn sweeeeet shot)

Have fun

But don't fret. At least in your photo one can spot Turlock and Patterson!

May 15, 2012 11:36PM
This was the first time I hiked with the Chick-on, he told me he was going up there. It just kinda worked out that we hiked together. I figured I'd follow his postholes, we bumped into each other in the parking lot and I pretty much followed his postholes from there.

Vogelsang wasn't my first choice since I'd been up there recently - from a scrap in the ammo box, turned out exactly nine months earlier, coincidence. It was nice to see it in a different season. WITHOUT A SINGLE STINKING MOSQUITO! As far as the record book is concerned, the pink bird got the first ascent of the year.

Temps were like 20-30 at night and hot and sunny during the day. The remaining snow will not last long so get up there and enjoy the early season.

Allow me to tempt you:

May 15, 2012 11:49PM
QITNL

Vogelsang wasn't my first choice since I'd been up there recently - from a scrap in the ammo box, turned out exactly nine months earlier, coincidence. It was nice to see it in a different season. WITHOUT A SINGLE STINKING MOSQUITO!

Yeah, I was looking at Chick-on's photo of Booth Lake and I was thinking to myself it must be nice to go by it now and not worry about the massive amount of mosquitos that usually congregate there.
May 16, 2012 06:40PM
Thanks for the pictures. I need to revisit Vogelsang Peak sometime, the view really is nice up there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login