Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Snow Plant Report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 16, 2012 10:20AM
I was struck by the prevalence of Snow Plants in the park this year-- especially in the Wawona Big Trees area. In addition, I do not remember ever seeing any in the Valley, but saw several there last weekend. Maybe the high snow last year, low snow this year has had something to do with it. Maybe there is just more decay everywhere (a sign of the times?) for these saprophytes. The Wawona tour driver said she had never seen so many as this year.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 16, 2012 10:33AM
Frank Furter
I do not remember ever seeing any in the Valley, but saw several there last weekend.

The listing I just checked said they range down to 1000 meters. But, like you, I've never seen them in the Valley.
Re: Snow Plant Report
May 16, 2012 12:18PM
We have seen them several times in the Valley in two spots - between Sentinel Picnic area and Swinging Bridge picnic area along the south side of the road and also near the Ahwahnee bridge. I am sure that they are in other places also. We have not seen them every year which could be related to that year's weather or they just happend not to be out when we were there. The amount you see is tied into what the winter was like.
Re: Snow Plant Report
May 16, 2012 12:58PM
One will usually see some on the forested shady south side below dense pines in duff beside spring streams channels. Many more if one's timing is right upstream of where SR41 crosses Grouse Creek or in the deep forest beside the small seasonal streams on the north side of Big Oak Flat Road about 5800 feet.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login