All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Rain during the Memorial Weekend -
May 24, 2012 12:30PM
I have been seeing the weather news for this weekend in Yosemite and it looks bad. Is it worth going to Yosemite during this weather on Friday and Saturday?

HS
Re: Rain during the Memorial Weekend -
May 24, 2012 01:44PM
For me, as a photographer, I find the best times to go are when the weather is not at its best. If your looking to do a family picnic outing, the weather might not be the best. I find no matter what the weather in Yosemite, I have never been let down visiting this beautiful place.Bear Head
May 24, 2012 01:47PM
Okay, thanks for your reply. We are a couple and my husband is a photographer. We were planning to leave today evening. But now we have still not decided. There might be thunderstorms also, so in a dilemma.
May 24, 2012 03:31PM
On Friday there is only a chance (50%) of storms dropping down to a chance (30%) on Saturday. The chance of thunderstorms is only on Friday. There is a possiblity that the weather could even change by the time you get there. There is a saying about being in the mountains: "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes."

Your husband will appreciate the photo opps. If it was me, I would go and have a good time even if there is some rain or the possiblity of a thunderstorm.
avatar Re: Rain during the Memorial Weekend -
May 24, 2012 04:18PM
The worst thing about Yosemite this Memorial Day Weekend won't be the weather, it will be the crowds. As long as you can avoid the throngs of people, you should be fine. To avoid the crowds, try to get out of Yosemite Valley by 10:00 AM (if your staying there overnight) and don't come back until 6:00 PM. Explore other parts of the park, including along Glacier Point Road and Tioga Road. If possible, try for some long day hikes during midday.

With your husband being a photographer, he should truly appreciate the unsettled weather. Photographs of Yosemite are much nicer with clouds in the sky vesus having bald plain blue skies as a backdrop. The light is usually best for photography early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the sun is low. What ever you do, just go with the flow and have a good time.

June 17, 2012 01:51AM
I'm wondering if you two did go to Yosemite after all, since your husband is a photographer. When I woke up and heard about thunderstorms coming that afternoon I was all excited. Finally, clouds!

What I didn't expect were some beautiful storm clearings at Tunnel View, including at sundown.

That was after most of the snow had melted as it was 2 hours after I noticed it was snowing...

For anyone interested in that day's scenes despite hours of rain and fog, the gallery of the day's clearings there is at http://www.pbase.com/andrys/yosemite3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2012 01:55AM by andrys.
May 24, 2012 03:19PM
ERICG
For me, as a photographer, I find the best times to go are when the weather is not at its best.

I have to agree with that!
May 24, 2012 02:16PM
I would love to be up on GP (under cover) and take a lightning picure of Half Dome. Head roll I took out front porch a few years ago.

May 24, 2012 03:42PM
If you don't go you can be assured that the weather will be gorgeous.
The percentage is not high enough to warrant worrying about it. Just go.

You probably want to avoid TM on the weekend and beyond though... it may be infested with chick-on's and goats.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 24, 2012 05:33PM
chick-on
If you don't go you can be assured that the weather will be gorgeous.
The percentage is not high enough to warrant worrying about it. Just go.

You probably want to avoid TM on the weekend and beyond though... it may be infested with chick-on's and goats.

That's the truth. If you say "screw it" and stay home, it will be perfect. If you go it will be rain/hail. But what's a little rain? I like being out in the weather, as long as I am warm, dry and sipping on a tasty beverage.

Have fun, I'll be working, can't turn down that holiday pay!
May 24, 2012 04:41PM
Some of the most majestic moments in the park that I have seen are during storms. The whole place can turn into a waterfall. Amazing.
May 24, 2012 06:47PM
boomtown
Some of the most majestic moments in the park that I have seen are during storms. The whole place can turn into a waterfall. Amazing.

You make a good point. I bet it is amazing just after heavy rain, when the skies first begin to clear.
May 24, 2012 09:19PM
The coastal forecast looks a lot clearer than the Sierra forecast...so I'd guess any weather would be of the showery variety.
May 25, 2012 07:56AM
Five years ago late-September, I had an extended camping reservation in the Valley, and on the day we arrived,
the first big storm of the season was forecast to hit, and it did. Arrived at the campsite in the afternoon, and spent
several hours sitting in the car watching it pour. Finally, there was a brief pause in the rain which allowed us to throw
up the tent and get somewhat-situated, before the deluge started again.

It was also a cold storm, and it poured quite a bit during the night, but I was warm and dry inside my tent, and the
storm was over by morning. That day and night of rain and the experience dealing with it became one of my
happiest and fondest memories in many years of camping. I guess it appealed to that primitive instinct in me
of succeeding in finding warmth and shelter from the elements .
May 25, 2012 11:46AM
Some of my favorite memories of the park was during the summers I worked at the Raft Rentals. I lived in a tent cabin next to the Raft Rentals. Watching my tent light up and hearing the thunder echo up and down the valley will be something I'll never forget. I just wish I had a car so that I could have taken some better lightning shots. smiling smiley
May 25, 2012 12:02PM
hs
I have been seeing the weather news for this weekend in Yosemite and it looks bad. Is it worth going to Yosemite during this weather on Friday and Saturday?

HS

It's worth it. We'll ge in Tuolumne Meadows (hoping for snow, even) friday, sat and sunday evenings.

Bad weather is actually GOOD weather.
May 25, 2012 04:18PM
Snow's in the forecast...hope you get up there before they close the road.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login