Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: How much did this new storm impact high country trails?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

How much did this new storm impact high country trails?
May 27, 2012 08:37AM
I was planning on hiking:

Tuesday: Cathedral Lakes to Sunrise camp and back
Weds: Clouds Rest
Thurs: Youngs Lake
Fri: Ten Lakes

I will have microspikes in my pack but dislike being slowed down by snow. The ranger I spoke to last Wedneday (before the latest storm), said I wouldn't have much trouble. But with this new storm on Fri and Sat I am getting concerned by new snow.

Anyone have any updates from the past day? Thank you in advance.
avatar Re: How much did this new storm impact high country trails?
May 27, 2012 09:27AM
We're heading to North Dome on Wednesday and I'm betting the snow that fell will all be melted by Tuesday. It goes fast with the sun high overhead.The forecast high temps for Cathedral Lakes is increasing from 58 on Tuesday to 67 on Thursday. Keep on eye on the Sentinel Dome cam today and tomorrow.
May 29, 2012 06:32AM
Microspikes? What for?

I was on Kibbie Ridge when the snow was falling. It was melting while new stuff was coming down. It's spring snow, it won't even be there in a few days, and it'll be pretty darn muddy.
May 29, 2012 07:14AM
I sure needed microspikes for doing Duck Pass in Mammoth yesterday, which tops out at 10,400 feet. The trails I will do today through Friday in Yosemite will be similar elevations except for Clouds Rest, which tops out at 9200, or thereabouts. Better safe than sorry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login