Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: Porcupine wilderness permit to camp near North Dome and lots of ???

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Porcupine wilderness permit to camp near North Dome and lots of ???
May 27, 2012 11:51AM
If I can get a permit my plan is to start at the trail head around noon, hike in with all of my gear to the ridge near the trail split for Natural Arch and set up camp. Then proceed to North Dome, take pictures of the moon rise over half dome on June 1st and return to camp. Stay the night there and then hike back out sometime the next day. So now for the questions.... Do I just basically camp anywhere that I want or is there disiginated areas? Is it wise drop my camping gear off at a site and leave it there? One more thing, I know that I don't need to leave food and other smell good stuff that is not in a bear box, but what about canned goods and Packaged trail mix and/or unopend peanut butter (that still has the foil seal). If i need a box, does someone in the valley rent them? I will only eat two meals on the trail, diner and breakfast.

Again thanks,

Paul
avatar Re: Porcupine wilderness permit to camp near North Dome and lots of ???
May 27, 2012 11:58AM
You wouldn't get a "box" but rather a cylindrical-shaped canister with a locking mechanism that works with a coin. Everything is supposed to go in there. It's not simply about whether or not a bear can smell it (and even canned or sealed food sometimes has a smell to it) but that bears shouldn't get any reinforcement that they can be successful if they get lucky. If you don't have that much food, it's really not that much trouble to get it into the box.

There are regulations on where to camp. Supposedly off 75 ft from trails and preferably in a "previously impacted site". However, I've looked up the specific rules, and they say at least 25 ft from a trail if there is a well used site and there are no other options in the area.

The canister rental is only $5 for your entire trip although you'll need to leave a deposit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2012 11:59AM by y_p_w.
May 27, 2012 05:59PM
Most all of your questions can be answered here: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildregs.htm

I wouldn't worry about leaving gear in camp if you aren't too close to the trail. But dishonest people are out there.

You can get your permit and rent a bear canister at the visitor center at the Big Oak Flat Entrance station if you're coming from the North. It's much less crowded than the permit office in the valley and closer to the Porcupine trailhead.

Chris
May 27, 2012 06:22PM
I saw a tent set up near the summit of North Dome, not sure if that was legal, but it was there.
May 28, 2012 09:45PM
I'd think that would be kind of dumb, unless they weighted it down with lots and lots of rocks. Tents make great kites.
May 29, 2012 03:18PM
Jay's spot might be where I saw a tent, if it's only 5 mins from summit.
May 29, 2012 01:34AM
hotrod4x5
I saw a tent set up near the summit of North Dome, not sure if that was legal, but it was there.
I doubt that it's legal.
You're supposed to be a certain distance from the rim and from trails, i.e. out of sight.
I'm not sure it's even legal to camp at the shoulder of ND, but I've done it, and many others have as well.
May 29, 2012 08:17AM
The saddle just below North Dome has numerous tent sites and an existing fire ring. There is plenty of room to spread out if you want solitude.

I can't urge you enough to CAMP HERE!

It's a short five minute walk up the granite to the top of the Dome from here. Follow the instructions on proper use of the bear canister, have fun and Leave No Trace!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
May 31, 2012 10:53PM
Looks like an awesome spot to camp. Where is the last water source before arriving at North Dome if you start at Porcupine Creek? I'll be camping there in a couple weeks and would appreciate any advice.
June 01, 2012 08:56AM
That is the one minor problem with this spot. It is not really close to a water source. There will be a small stream crossing when you are coming from the Porcupine Flat TH and then nothing as you continue to North Dome. Once at the site, the nearest water is a stream that is located about a 25 minute walk (1.5 miles or so..) west...toward Yosemite Falls. I think it's the creek that flows down Indian Canyon.

Carry as much water as you can going downhill from the trail head. On our trip we stayed at North Dome one night and made our water last until we hit this stream the next morning on our way to the top of Yosemite Falls.

I'm sure some folks with more accurate data will be along shortly to give you some advice as well.

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
June 01, 2012 10:43AM
I was there a few years ago in Sept. Contrary to Jay, we carried only a small amount of water from the TH. At North Dome, I left the wife and gear while I went for water. Royal Arch Cr. had a little water but I didn't like the look of it so went to Lehamite, which was flowing clear and cold. I quickly drank my fill and packed two gallons in a water bag and headed back, carrying it hobo style using my walking stick. It is just over a mile each way I think. There might be a decent flow in Royal Arch Cr. (half the distance) this time of year. Oh yeah, we camped at Jay's spot. Great sunset/ sunrise location.
June 01, 2012 04:27PM
Great looking location to camp. We are heading up that way October 8-12 for a Happy Isles To Yosemite Falls Loop with stops at Half Dome, Clouds Rest, Mt. Watkins and North Dome. Would love to camp at this site on the last night. Where exactly is the site located. I have a Tom Harrison that shows a .5 mile to the summit of North Dome, where from there is is located smiling smiley
June 01, 2012 04:50PM
calicokat
Great looking location to camp. We are heading up that way October 8-12 for a Happy Isles To Yosemite Falls Loop with stops at Half Dome, Clouds Rest, Mt. Watkins and North Dome. Would love to camp at this site on the last night. Where exactly is the site located. I have a Tom Harrison that shows a .5 mile to the summit of North Dome, where from there is is located smiling smiley

Saddle between Indian Ridge and North Dome

The trail goes right by it on the way to the top of ND.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login