Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Recap

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Memorial Day Weekend Recap
May 31, 2012 02:48PM
Smog Increase in Valley

Story is actually about the traffic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2012 02:51PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
May 31, 2012 07:21PM
We went to the valley around 5 pm on Saturday so we missed almost all of the crowds. We came in the park late on Friday night and did not leave until Monday so we did not experience any lines at the gate. Since the weather was nice on Sunday and Monday, we did not want to experience the crowds so we did not go down into the valley and stayed mostly in Wawona and did a little fishing.
June 01, 2012 07:10AM
Hello,
Can you tell me about the Wawona Campground? We have never been there. We are doing a family reunion at the group site reserved for a week in the middle of June. How close is the river? What are the highlights of that area? Thanks.
June 01, 2012 10:53AM
I have never actually stayed at the Wawona Campground so I can't give any specifics about it. However, I can tell you that it does run along the river. Go to: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wawonacamp.htm and there is a map of the campsites.

There are many things that you can do in the Wawona area.

For a easy hike or bike ride, do the Wawona Meadow Loop. Moderate hikes include The Swinging Bridge Loop and Wawona to Maripose Grove. There is an easy hike option to Swinging Bridge by driving down to the end of Forest Drive, park your car and take the flat 1/2 mile hike to the bridge. Be aware that Forest Drive is extremely narrow and you will have to pull off to let cars coming in the other direction go by. Strenous hikes are Alder Creek and Chilnualna Falls.

If you don't want to hike to Mariposa Grove, you can either take the shuttle from Wawona to the grove or drive to the grove. If you have not seen the grove, I recommend going there.

You can fish in the Wawona area. My son caught two this past weekend. You can also golf or go on a horseback ride.

The Wawona Hotel holds a BBQ dinner every Saturday in the summer on the lawn which is open to everyone. Go to the hotel in the evening to hear Tom Bopp play vintage music, it is a very entertaining experience. In the evenings, have a drink or dessert on the veranda of the hotel for a relaxing break.

Also visit the Pioneer History Center in Wawona where you can see people being charactors of the early times in Wawona, blacksmith's working and you can take a carriage ride.

One plus of staying in the Wawona area is the fact the you are away from the hustle and bustle of the busy valley and it is a more relaxing experience. You get a closer connection with nature without all of the crowds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 10:56AM by parklover.
July 13, 2012 11:56AM
Just a quick update on the Wawona Group Campground. We were there 7 nights over Fathers Day week end with a family group of 15-25 and lots of kids 10 and under. Sunday was the hottest at 97 degrees. Playing in the river and lots of popup canopys saved us. We had a great time and would stay there again. Just beware that it is down hill and next to the busy road. Other than some using ear plugs to sleep it wasn't to bad. Except for when we were all busy packing on the last day, my 2 y.o. grand daughter decided to explore a new area by herself. She climbed a small (15-20ft) hill at the edge of the campsite. Luckily her mother noticed she was missing, saw her and screamed at the top of her lungs for her to come back. I thank the Lord she came running and tumbed back down the hill. She was standing at the edge of the main busy road. My stomach still becomes nauseous when I think about how close we came to loosing her that day.
avatar Re: Memorial Day Weekend Recap
July 13, 2012 11:59PM
Thanks for the report back from the campground. Glad to hear your granddaughter didn't get seriously hurt on her little adventure up and down the hill.
June 02, 2012 06:17AM
Thank yo so much for your information. I will pass it on to the rest of my family.
June 03, 2012 04:45PM
Breakfast at the Wawona Hotel is great (al least it was in 2002). Buffet style will Salmon and Trout.
June 03, 2012 07:08PM
Can anyone tell me if the Wawona Group Campsite is flat? Sunny? Shade?
June 03, 2012 08:29PM
I have only seen the part of the campground that is near the entrance to the campground which is loop A. From the map, the group campsite is in that area and some sites have trees and other's don't. I would take a tent pavilion or tarp with you for shade and also if it rains.
June 03, 2012 08:45PM
NanaNash
Can anyone tell me if the Wawona Group Campsite is flat? Sunny? Shade?

I believe it to be flat and sunny.
June 03, 2012 08:21PM
If you are talking about the breakfast buffet that is free to guests it has changed a lot. No more hot dishes only hard boiled eggs, cereal, bagels, yougurt, fruit and pastries. Otherwise you order off the breakfast menu and pay for it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login