Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Update on high Country trail conditions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Update on high Country trail conditions
June 01, 2012 12:55PM
I dayhiked from Cathedral Lakes trailhead to Happy Isles and then returned the next day. There was abundant snow for 2 miles before Upper Cathedral Lakes and for about 1.5 miles thereafter. You won't need microspikes, but you are going to have to detour around snow in many places, which is tedious. There was a crew with mules which sawed through all the downed trees up until Sunrise (and there were at least 15 downed trees on the trail). No snow whatsoever past Sunrise till the Valley floor. Clear sailing.

The snow on the Clouds Rest trail from Sunrise trailhead is similar to what is on Cathedral Lakes but only in sections where there is little sun. Granite portion to summit totally clear, as is the approach from the fork 2.5 miles below.
avatar Re: Update on high Country trail conditions
June 01, 2012 07:23PM
Thanks for the update. I plan to be around there in a few days.
June 05, 2012 09:08PM
How tall is the snow? Any pictures? I'm going with some rookies in 3 weeks, do you think this will pose any threat for new hikers?
June 05, 2012 10:58PM
3 weeks? You'll be fine. That's a lot of time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login