All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Cell reception on Tioga Pass
June 03, 2012 02:18PM
Hi,

How is the cell phone reception on Tioga Pass? (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, other.)

Thanks!

Lisa T.
Re: Cell reception on Tioga Pass
June 03, 2012 04:51PM
LisaT
Hi,

How is the cell phone reception on Tioga Pass? (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, other.)

Thanks!

Lisa T.

I've been able in the past to receive ATT cell there. Don't know about this year.
June 03, 2012 04:58PM
Forget T. Mobile. No reception from Lee Vining to the Valley Floor to Wawona.

There are pay phones at the Touloumne campground.
June 03, 2012 06:38PM
ATT works around Toulumne meadows. They have a tower there that is connected to a hard line, so data is pretty slow, but you can talk and text.
avatar Re: Cell reception on Tioga Pass
June 03, 2012 08:45PM
hotrod4x5
ATT works around Toulumne meadows. They have a tower there that is connected to a hard line, so data is pretty slow, but you can talk and text.

And they have a roaming agreement with Verizon.
June 03, 2012 10:55PM
hotrod4x5

When it works. The line is subject to outages due to windfalls.
June 04, 2012 11:30AM
I didn't get any reception (AT&T) last Wednesday at Tuolumne, but did see a couple of AT&T trucks on the Tioga Road, so hopefully they are working on it.
June 05, 2012 07:54AM
So that's why they were up there on Wednesday. Their trucks were taking up about 5 parking spots at the North Dome trailhead. No workers in sight though.
June 05, 2012 08:42AM
The hard line to TM lays on the ground much of the way from the valley. I think there is a thread from last year with photos of the cable.
June 05, 2012 08:59AM
If I recall correctly, the AT&T line from Yosemite Valley travels up the east side of Indian Canyon along its way to Tuolumne Meadows. Joe (aka QITNL) has some photos of it on his website.
June 05, 2012 09:25AM
plawrence
If I recall correctly, the AT&T line from Yosemite Valley travels up the east side of Indian Canyon along its way to Tuolumne Meadows. Joe (aka QITNL) has some photos of it on his website.

THAT'S WHAT IT IS!!!

I've been up there, found that, and wondered what the heck it was.
June 05, 2012 09:27AM
June 09, 2012 03:51PM
Did the indian canyon telephone trail this past april and saw a major break in it as well as lots of trash from previous repairs on our way up so its probably what they're fixing now.
June 11, 2012 09:37PM
I'm on AT&T with an iPhone 4s and I got no reception on Tioga today, although I didnt go past the 10 lakes trailhead. Oddly enough, I did get 2 bars on the edge network about 5 mile in on the Yosemite creek trailhead. That was enough to send a text (not a picture text though) and make a call. Also, I got 4 bars on the edge network on top of el cap and on top of Yosemite falls.

I don't know if it gets better further up Tioga this season, but in past seasons I have been able to send out text messages around Tuolumne.
June 12, 2012 08:22AM
You can generally get cell coverage (at least AT&T and Verizon) along the Tioga Road where there is mostly unobstructed visibility toward Glacier Point, such as Olmstead Point. Oddly, however, I didn't have any luck getting AT&T coverage from Clouds Rest when I camped there a month ago--perhaps because the GP antennas are aimed downward for valley coverage...?
June 13, 2012 06:45AM
I don't believe antennae are aimed downwards because one can get cell reception north of Merced Lake on part of the Lewis Creek trail where one has line-of-site to Sentinel Dome.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login