All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

When will Toulumne Meadows campground open?
June 06, 2012 05:56AM
Does anyone know when the campground might open? The official date on the Yosemite website is July 11th. I am hoping with the warm spring weather they might open before the end of June for 1st come, first serve?
Re: When will Toulumne Meadows campground open?
June 06, 2012 07:47AM
The closed signs are there blocking the entrance. I asked a wrangler yesterday about the campground and he told me even with the good weather, there is lots of maintenance and downed trees to clean up. I walked through the campground yesterday to do Elizabeth lake hike and I saw no downed trees in the campground at all.Very waterlogged though from the deluge we had Monday night.
June 06, 2012 08:11PM
Thanks for the info. Looking to do some hiking in the area this weekend. If the campground at Toulumne is not open can you recommend any near by spots?
June 06, 2012 11:37PM
There are a lot of campgrounds outside Yosemite, East of the Tioga entrance. They are very close to the Yosemite Eastern entrance. The closest one is the Tioga Lake Campground, with Saddlebag Lake campground being fairly close to the entrance as well. Check out the Inyo National Forest website for more information: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=20256&actid=29. Do not trust the campgrounds opening/closing dates, however, since it says that the Tioga Lake Campground is closed, even though it was opened last week-end when I drove by it.

Additionally, I've read that sleeping inside your car on 120 outside of the park is generally accepted (not sure how legal it is).
avatar Re: When will Toulumne Meadows campground open?
June 07, 2012 07:10PM
Check with the camp ground office. It might open for this weekend.
June 07, 2012 07:21PM
Not really nearby, but the Yosemite Creek Campground off of Tioga Road was open last weekend and hardly anyone was camping there, even on a Saturday night. And the Tamarack Flat campground still had vacant campsites though I would reckon that about 60% to 70% of them were occupied.

I noticed that the Park Service did repave the first two miles of the Old Big Oak Flat Road from Tioga Road to the Tamarack Flat Campground. The last mile hasn't been repaved (yet). But for those first two miles, the road is super smooth (though still narrow). It's like driving on a two-mile long private driveway!

June 26, 2012 07:49PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I arrived at the Toulumne campground on the early afternoon of June 8th and they were open for business. We got a great site along the river and are going back to do some more hiking, camping and fishing this coming weekend. Thanks to Dave for letting me know that the campground was due to open that weekend!
June 13, 2012 09:00PM
Yosemite National Park's facebook page said the following:
Tuolumne Meadows Campground is open on a first-come, first-served basis. Half the campground will be reservations-only beginning on June 13 (reservations for 6/13 onward are now available via recreation.gov).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login