Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Alex Honnold does it again

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Alex Honnold does it again
June 09, 2012 06:44AM
I really admire this guy. He just seems to enjoy what he's doing. Although I'm not a rock climber nor do have any knowledge about rock climbing in my book he's in a class of his own. Like Michael Jordan, Peyton Manning, Pelé if you know what I mean.

Several website have reported over the last couple of days that he managed another free solo of Half Dome's Regular Northwest Face. Just like he did in 2010. Only this time he did it in 1:22!!! Yes, that's one hour and twentytwo minutes.
Apparently he's planning to tackle the speed record of El Cap's Nose soon. Good luck. smiling smiley

Yes, yes...I know...please...I don't wanna hear anything about him fallin' down....
June 10, 2012 05:37AM
As a non-climber, I can only admire the talents of Alex and the other big wall climbers. He recently climbed Mt. Watkins, El Cap and Half Dome....IN THE SAME DAY! He described night climbing on El Capitan as "boring".

Go get 'em, Al.
June 10, 2012 05:29PM
AnotherDave
As a non-climber, I can only admire the talents of Alex and the other big wall climbers. He recently climbed Mt. Watkins, El Cap and Half Dome....IN THE SAME DAY! He described night climbing on El Capitan as "boring".

Go get 'em, Al.

wow. guy's got skills and a pair
June 10, 2012 11:02PM
It really boggles the mind. How is this even humanly possible? Even if he's lighter than average, humans are just too heavy for this. And he can actually find enough hand holds, has memorized the route obviously.
June 10, 2012 10:43AM
That is really scary, combining speed climbing with free soloing.

When Dean Potter speed climbed El Cap, I know he used ropes and aids to help him an his partner get up, so it wasn't a free climb, but I can't remember if the ropes, etc were just for aid or also for protection.
avatar Re: Alex Honnold does it again
June 10, 2012 11:19PM
hotrod4x5
That is really scary, combining speed climbing with free soloing.

When Dean Potter speed climbed El Cap, I know he used ropes and aids to help him an his partner get up, so it wasn't a free climb, but I can't remember if the ropes, etc were just for aid or also for protection.

I'm not a climber, but I understand that "free climbing" means that ropes can be used for protection but can't be used to ascend. So that means that one can't pull oneself up a rope and call it free climbing. Some of the record free climb ascents have to be done in pairs, with one climber setting up the protection and the other "cleaning up" the previously placed protection as the new protection is laid in place.
June 10, 2012 11:51PM
Free solo = no ropes = no protection
Free climbing = ropes/protection "allowed"

Alex Honnold free soloed Half Dome.
June 11, 2012 10:09AM
Link to Honnold/Caldwell recent free climb of Watkins, El Cap and HD.

Bad asses for sure!

http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/alex-honnold-and-tommy-caldwell-free.html
June 11, 2012 06:02PM
edit. misread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2012 06:03PM by ryanmj.
June 12, 2012 11:01PM
I guess he really did it. smiling smiley

Check picture:

On top of HD
June 13, 2012 12:48AM
Rumor is Hondo & Hollywood Hans are going for a Nose speed record this weekend. Get down to the bridge around 6AM if you wanna see 'em.
March 24, 2013 01:53AM
Thank God Ledge

Nice place to have a picnic.
March 24, 2013 10:28PM
that does look cool

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2013 10:52PM by marmot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login