Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Middle Velma Lake (Desolation Wilderness) Backpack

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Middle Velma Lake (Desolation Wilderness) Backpack
June 10, 2012 08:58PM
I spent the weekend camping at Middle Velma Lake, seen here:

As you can see there's a bit more snow around Tahoe, but its only on north-facing slopes - south-facing slopes have nothing. And, of course, its nothing like last year.

With the dry front having gone through visibility was stellar - here's Lake Tahoe from the slopes above the trail crest at Maggies:

Sadly, that front brought a chilly east wind at Middle Velma, so I didn't get to go swimming. With all the rock islands...I'll have to go back with warmer weather.

More pictures here.
avatar Re: Middle Velma Lake (Desolation Wilderness) Backpack
June 11, 2012 09:41PM
Thanks for the trip report and pictures. That lake looks great. And there is a lot more snow there than in Yosemite right now.
June 13, 2012 01:51AM
Thanks for the trip report and the link to the excellent photos. Yup, definitely looks like there's a lot more snow up there than around Yosemite and the Southern Sierra.

How were the mosquitos? So far in Yosemite they've been very manageable, not too many at all.
June 13, 2012 06:53AM
Mosquitoes weren't too bad, but I did see clouds in a couple spots. I think the wind was holding them at bay, there's plenty of standing water around.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login