Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Falls on Lower Cathedral Lake outlet

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Falls on Lower Cathedral Lake outlet
June 12, 2012 03:11PM
Here was Tuolumne Meadows near sunset on Tuesday 6/5. Temperature was near freezing.

On Wednesday 6/6 I headed east from Tioga Road towards Medicott Dome. I headed south below the cliffs around 8800 feet. I came out alongside the outlet of Lower Cathedral Lake. Headed up to the base of the falls and crossed the stream(may be difficult if the stream was bigger). Headed south and up a dirt slope to more cascades above. Made it to the base of the upper falls without too much trouble. The last 100 feet up to Lower Cathedral Lake was a bit tricky going up a steep cliff. With careful route finding I was able to follow cracks and use a trekking pole to make it up the steep cliff(I probably wouldn't want to come back down this way).

avatar Re: Falls on Lower Cathedral Lake outlet
June 12, 2012 06:42PM
Sounds like you went to the base of Dozier Dome which leads to the outlet creek. 8800' would put you right at the base of Dozier Dome. We did that accidentally the first time we went to Lower Cathedral Lake but it was September and the creek was dry. Looked like it could be slippery when wet. We crossed the creek to find a place to get up the ledge, crossed back over to the north of the creek and walked up the granite slope to the lake. From your description it sounds like you went all the up on the south side of the creek through the forested area. The north side is a much easier climb. Must be quite a bit of snow up there still for that much water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2012 06:43PM by Calaveras.
June 13, 2012 05:21PM
The north side looked harder, but didn't look over there that much. Had good view of the falls on the south side, and kept going up that way. Here are some of the falls near the top.

June 14, 2012 11:15AM
On to Lower and Upper Cathedral Lakes.

June 15, 2012 12:12PM
Continued on to Echo Lake

June 16, 2012 05:31PM
Thanks for posting a link to all the videos. The water looks really sharp when played back on YouTube full screen at 1080 HD!
June 18, 2012 09:29AM
I had not been to Cathedral Lakes for a few years. I was looking down on them from the saddle west of Budd Lake last year, and had to get back. I was glad that the outlet of Lower Cathedral Lake was still going. It was considerably smaller a few days later. It is always pretty short lived.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login