Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: My Week In Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

My Week In Yosemite
June 12, 2012 08:04PM
Due to some lucky campsite reservation website mojo, I got to spend a week camping in the valley! The first day, I got to travel from Tenaya Lake to the valley via Clouds Rest. The mosquitoes were bad going up to the Sunrise junction, where there were some lingering patches of snow, but there were few bugs and little snow after that. From the summit, I could see how little snow there was in the high country. I left a treat for my friend Chick-on, but he never showed up...

Just off the trail south of Clouds Rest, I saw some strange metal ring... an old iron-age Chick-on trap? Ring used to lower rocks into place while building the park?

On the way down from Clouds Rest we went by the Quarter Domes, where I got to sit on a balanced rock and in the jaws of Chick-on's friend Sharkie while watching people climb the Half Dome cables in the heat.

Sunday was a rest day. Unfortunately the Ahwahnee charged me full price for the Grand Buffet even though I eat like a bird. (But, the chick-on strips were especially good...)

On Monday I got to go up the Four Mile Trail and check out a special place Chick-on helped re-discover.

(Background: picture 1 and picture 2.)

That afternoon it rained, but the storm cleared by evening and the sunset was magnificent.

The next day I got to fly up to Sierra Point. The old trail is seeing a lot of use and some of the stonework is falling apart, but the views are still worth it. I would have been scared looking down at the folks on the Vernal Falls trail if I didn't have wings...

The next day I was back in the high country, following the Tuolumne down the Pothole Dome/Little Devils Postpile route. The Tuolumne was very low--more like August than early June. Only patches of the recent snowstorm were still present.

The evenings hanging out by the fire at "Camp REI" roasting marshmallows with friends and family were all fun. Conditions in the valley were generally nice, and mosquitoes were few.

With luck, I'll be back soon!

More Pictures

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2012 08:18PM by basilbop.
June 12, 2012 08:22PM
My gosh, there really is no snow up there is there. Wow.
June 12, 2012 08:40PM
As usual...

Bowing to his greatness

Favorite : #38

(p.s. your post always make we want to be a butter bird)

Tanks for Sharon

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 12, 2012 09:32PM
Burgess Meredith, I presume? Quack quack quack.
June 13, 2012 04:01AM
Loved the pictures (and the captions!). Thanks for posting these!
June 13, 2012 07:47AM
basilbop...you must've been right near me when taking that Half Dome photo on Monday evening! Near the bridge at the campgrounds? Not many folks were out and about.
June 13, 2012 08:44AM
The Half Dome shot was taken from the Curry parking lot.
June 13, 2012 08:41AM
What a great week...you managed to hit most of my favorite day hikes! Thanks for posting!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
June 13, 2012 10:47AM
basilbop
Just off the trail south of Clouds Rest, I saw some strange metal ring... an old iron-age Chick-on trap? Ring used to lower rocks into place while building the park?

Haha I think you're on to something! Thanks for the TR.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login