Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Closures in Yosemite?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Closures in Yosemite?
June 14, 2012 11:58AM
Does anyone have any information on the closures that are in the news today? Due to potential rock-fall activity, 18 cabins/tents in Curry Village, and some campsites in Camp 4 (near El Capitan) have been closed? I also saw an unconfirmed blurb that "parts" of Glacier Point were closed, as of today.
June 14, 2012 01:00PM
See Eeek's post from earlier today. That'll explain everything.
avatar Re: Closures in Yosemite?
June 14, 2012 06:52PM
They are not "closures" because Yosemite is about to cave in. These buildings, and tents, are too close to the cliff. Some have already been hit, several times, by rocks. For public safety these buildings are being removed and the area allowed to go back to it's natural condition. Remember, this is what Yosemite does - it falls down. That's part of how these magnificant cliffs were formed. This is a natural process and one we need to protect ourselves from. Last year a DNC employee was crushed to death by a large rock falling on his tent cabin. By removing these structures and a few other things, the risk of a rockfall on a building will be reduced by almost 95%. There's a report that explains the whole thing. I'll try and find the URL for it.

Again, Yosemite is not in any danger of caving in. This is just a precaution that is overdue. The rocks above these buildings could fall tomorrow - or a thousand years from now. No one knows when.
June 14, 2012 07:02PM
Dave
Last year a DNC employee was crushed to death by a large rock falling on his tent cabin.

Link please?

It wasn't a rock, it was a tree.
June 14, 2012 07:49PM
QITNL
You're probably right. I do remember a few years back that a rockfall did smash several tent cabins that were used for DNC housing. http://www.yosemitearea.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-5629.html
June 14, 2012 08:14PM
June 14, 2012 10:33PM
QITNL
Dave
Last year a DNC employee was crushed to death by a large rock falling on his tent cabin.

Link please?

Using the logic of the Park Service, then they ought to remove all housing and lodging that is located next to trees. Can't risk anyone being hurt or worse when the next tree gets blown down by wind or the weight of snow onto someone's overnight accommodations. For extra safety they ought to move all the campgrounds out into the meadows too. Grinning Devil
June 15, 2012 12:47AM
I know you're joking, but there's some reasonable logic, science and risk assessment in the link Eeek posted:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/rockfall.htm
and even more in their first link under Learn More, which has a lot of interesting information:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/upload/Quantitative-rock-fall-hazard-and-risk-assessment-for-Yosemite-Valley-April-2012.pdf
It's a very good read.

Greg Stock is a NPS/YNP geologist and posts some good stuff on the SuperTopo forum. If we could elevate the discussion a little, we could probably get him to chime in here.
June 15, 2012 12:10PM
I read that report, but unless I somehow missed it somewhere, there's no comparative statistics about getting injured or dying from a rock fall in Yosemite Valley versus other natural hazards including getting injured or killed by a falling tree. Falling trees are indeed serious hazards especially trees situated near where people sleep.

I am curious to know what are the comparative risks between being hit by a rock during a rockfall or being hit by a tree, especially when one's asleep, in Yosemite Valley.

Has the Park Service done any risk assessment studies that include all the natural hazards one might be exposed to in Yosemite Valley?
June 15, 2012 02:32PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login