Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trip Report - Bearup, Otter, Mahan Lakes and Jack Main Canyon

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Report - Bearup, Otter, Mahan Lakes and Jack Main Canyon
June 21, 2012 08:40PM
The first week of June we took a trip out of Hetch Hetchy up to Moraine Ridge. We then went cross country over to Frog Creek, which we followed up past Bearup Lake up to Otter Lakes. We camped at Little Otter, which really impressed us. Beautiful lake surrounded by several interesting peaks to climb. Actually, the entire trip along Frog Creek was quite scenic. We climbed a few of the peaks and headed down the Otter Lake outlet into Jack Main. The path along the outlet is also very nice with several nice swimming holes (if the weather was warmer) and one very nice waterfall with a pool at the base. Jack Main was beautiful as always. Made another side trip over to Mahan Lake to camp. Mahan is another very nice Lake. Saw more bear day beds and well worn bear paths on the northeast side of Mahan than I have at any other location (and I was a black bear biologist for many years in upstate NY). Only saw 3 other groups of people (6 people total) - all either on the switchbacks or near Beehive Meadow. Saw no one in Jack Main. The temps were perfect. Bugs never an issue. Unfortunately, we had a problem with our camera, so the pics are rather crappy.

Bearup Lake

Looking back at Bearup Lake just visible in distance.

Little Otter Lake

Little Otter Lake

Otter Lake shore line

Falls Creek in Jack Main

Falls Creek in Jack Main

Falls Creek in Jack Main

Falls Creek in Jack Main

Mahan Lake
avatar Re: Trip Report - Bearup, Otter, Mahan Lakes and Jack Main Canyon
June 21, 2012 08:52PM
That's awesome! Tanks for Sharon.
Yeah. Little Otter and Otter and quite nice. You're not showing Otter in all it's glory though.
The first time I saw Otter it was completely frozen over and had my doubts how nice it would be.
Had my boat the second time visited it... and I was just loving it. Little Otter is gorgeous also.
Here's a link with me in the boat on Otter:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,30944,31914#msg-31914

There's so much to explore in that area. Lots of little knobs and stuff to climb.

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 22, 2012 04:15AM
Thanks for the pics! Sounds like a great trip.
June 22, 2012 04:38AM
Thanks for the pictures. I'll be in that general area sometime later this year, looks nice.
June 22, 2012 07:13AM
Did you skip the trail section around Mahan?
I've done the same thing once in my visit to Mahan in 2003.
(gotta get back there)
Avonelle... now there is a lake you should really visit if/when
you get back in that area. Trumps Mahan in my book.
And of course you say what is well known by mwa...
YOSEMITE is not crowded. It's trivial to get solitude.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Trip Report - Bearup, Otter, Mahan Lakes and Jack Main Canyon
June 22, 2012 07:50PM
chick-on
Did you skip the trail section around Mahan?
I've done the same thing once in my visit to Mahan in 2003.
(gotta get back there)
Avonelle... now there is a lake you should really visit if/when
you get back in that area. Trumps Mahan in my book.
And of course you say what is well known by mwa...
YOSEMITE is not crowded. It's trivial to get solitude.

Yes, skipped the trail section. Went into Mahan from the northeast and out the southwest back to the trail.
Haven't been to Avonelle in, well, uh, 25+years. LOL. Don't recall much about it. Will probably head back up into that section of the Park in Sept or Oct. But want to revisit Stubblefield and Thompson too. Got back into canyoneering 2 years ago so we now split our time backpacking in the Sierra or running canyons in the southwest. Now if we just had more time ...
No, most places in the Yosemite backcountry are not crowded at all. You normally don't have to go far to get a sense of seclusion. And well, if you go off trail, you are more or less certain to be a lone. Wish we could say the same about some of the canyons in Zion!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login